The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll be entering my Solar Yellow Elise in the Rental Car Rally on June 12th
Rental Car Rally!!
It's a dash from San Francisco to Yuma, AZ, with all the fun and flair of the gumball and none of the speeding jackasses who like to drive 200mph on public roads.

My theme for the car will be Racer X (with appropriate black wrapping and livery done in temporary vinyl), and I'll be sporting the appropriate costume, with my co-driver / girlfriend dressed as Trixie, whom I've kidnapped from Speed Racer :evil:

Anyways, just wanted to throw this out there, and if anyone with a white Lotus wants to make it a Mach 5 and join our team, I have an open faced white helmet for your speed racer outfit :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
** Each ticket covers one vehicle and unlimited team members **

RCR is a 36hr backroads-mostly driving competition between 100+ crazily-festooned teams competing for thousands of dollars in cash and a golden gas pump.

This year's premium sponsor is the superlative videocamera company Flip, which will be providing 12 videocameras so rally teams can document their journey.

The rally starts 9pm June 12th at an undisclosed location in San Francisco. Teams will navigate their way to Yuma, hitting mandatory checkpoints along the way. The finish line in Yuma will be disclosed to rally teams when the rally starts.

RCR is scored on a 100pt scale: 50pts for your odometer reading (the lowest reading gets 50pts, while progressively higher readings receive progressively fewer points), 40pts for your team's style, and 10pts for random tomfoolery. For more details, see rentalcarrally.com.

RCR will crown two winning teams in Yuma: a Grand Champion, and a Style Champion. Both teams get a golden gas pump, but only the grand champ gets the cash prize.

Your ticket includes:

admission to the rally
rally provisions bag for your team (the rally booklet w/ rules & coordinates for checkpoints, a rally contact sheet w/ info on other drivers, two mix CDs, energy drinks, condoms, cigarettes, beef jerky)
a party at Bloodhound in SoMa a few days before the rally w/ sweet, sweet drink specials
a party in Yuma on Saturday June 13th
the chance to take home one of 10 Flip Video cameras, and the chance to win the rally grand prizes: ~$2500 (total prize amount dependent upon number of entrants)
Your ticket does not include:

a rental car or vehicle, or fuel
accommodations in Yuma
The rally ends in Yuma. Return is at your discretion.

RCR is organized by two well ridiculous chaps: Supreme Commander, diabolical mastermensch behind the water gun assassination tourney Street Wars, and Steve, the plainly-monikered boozenessman who founded the Wii Tennis tourney Wiimbledon.

Questions? Wanna sponsor? Holla at steve [at] rental car rally dot com.

NOTE: YOU MUST PROVIDE AN EMAIL ADDY WHEN YOU REGISTER. That's how we'll be communicating with you up until race time.

NOTE: No refunds after May 27th.

So does that mean it is 36 hours STRAIGHT? That would be pretty rough in a Lotus. :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, the trip will be 12-14 hours straight.

You leave at 9 PM on Friday, drive to varying checkpoints, and must be in Yuma no later than 6 PM on Saturday. It's a 10-hour freeway straight shot, but all check points are going to be in off-the-beaten-path locations, so the driving will be mostly backroads.

Besides, they don't advocate speed (not a factor in the rally stading) and measure you by mileage (lowest odometer change gets most points). You're welcome to kick it at the check points to rest as long as you come in before the deadline.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I'll be entering my Solar Yellow Elise in the Rental Car Rally on June 12th
So what's the point of calling this a 'Rental Car Rally' if people can drive their own cars? :confused:

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Apparently the word "rental" substitutes for the word "crazy"...rotfl

It says: "RCR is organized by two well ridiculous chaps: Supreme Commander, diabolical mastermensch behind the water gun assassination tourney Street Wars, and Steve, the plainly-monikered boozenessman who founded the Wii Tennis tourney Wiimbledon."

Attachments

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So if I were to do this, does anyone have any 22" wheels they want to loan me? :D If it's based off odometer reading and all...

On second thought: Would anyone have a tow truck to lend me? :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I were to do this, does anyone have any 22" wheels they want to loan me? :D If it's based off odometer reading and all...

On second thought: Would anyone have a tow truck to lend me? :D
:coolnana:
Drive into the checkpoints, and have a tow truck waiting 2 miles out! I like the way you think!

(Though I'm sure there's something in the bylaws of the Rally that all 4 wheels must stay on the ground at all times or something)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Doesn't the odometer come through the ABS connector on the front wheel? Pretty easy to disconnect and re-connect.................

......assuming of-course that it's not prohibited in the by-laws.

Good luck - sounds fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts