The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random thought, but in my search for an Elise, I'm either finding the colors I like at rediculus prices, or (in my opinion) wacky colors for the right price range.

Given the build of the car (major, large clams front and back) and the minimal interior, how easy would it be to re-spray the car? Would is be unrealistic to just remove the clams and doors and have them all sprayed? Am I over-analyzing this?

I'm considering purchasing a car now, in a less-than-desireable color, and then repaint in sometime in the future, but if it's going to be a big hassle, or I'm not going to get the results I want, I'll lean away from the idea. Anyone's experience in the matter would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any accurate ballparks on the price to re-spray the car, I'd love to hear those numbers. Thanks everyone!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
It would be RIDICULOUS to paint it any other color but Orange !:sheep::sheep::sheep:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you considered a wrap as an option? It would be closer to $2-3k and it is not permanent.

Less chance of hurting the resale price. When I see a car/ motorcycle that has been painted, I assume that there is a good chance that it as been in a wreck.

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
and maybe some negatives to the wrap (no experience with it myself) so maybe I crazy!

- theres some risk pulling off the wrap could pull off paint
- any rocks or road debris that penetrate the wrap could make your car look "spackled" if the wrap color is significantly different from the underlying color

OTOH cab companies seem to have a lot of success.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Naked carbon fiber clam... have you consider that?
Also I think you need to unbound the rear quarter panel to get it off the car

·
Registered
7,116 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! Love the sig, Yellow!

How "easy" are we talking? Did you re-color the car or just respray it?

For everyone else, you've completely screwed up my plan! I just priced out a set of front and rear cf clams for $8k, and a salvage Elise right near me that needs a front and rear clam for $14k!

My color choice would be white first and foremost, followed by black and darker greys. Not a fan of silver or the brighter colors. Cars.com national search pulled up 28 cars total, nothing that really blows my mind. Ideal car? '05 White on black w/ all options for 25-30.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Thanks ;)

I completely changed the color of the car. I wanted white as well but since they're so few and far between, plus none in '05, I just bought a black one and went with a very custom satin pearl white.

My total cost with sandpaper and everything was less than $700.

·
Registered
130 Posts
unbound?

Naked carbon fiber clam... have you consider that?
Also I think you need to unbound the rear quarter panel to get it off the car
You cant get the rocker covers off and be able to reuse them. They need to be painted on the car.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,684 Posts
Wow.....an aftermarket tomato !:DV:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts