The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bent my rim on a pothole a couple months ago, does this look repairable, or should I just get it replaced? Does anyone know the cost of an LSS wheel?

--Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
$830.48 was charged by the body shop that replaced mine -- new LSS wheel

I would be concerned about invisible cracks that could result in catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
$830.48 was charged by the body shop that replaced mine -- new LSS wheel

I would be concerned about invisible cracks that could result in catastrophic failure.
+1

If there are any visible cracks, no way. Aluminum loses significant strength when "worked" (bent back and forth), so I'm not sure I'd be happy with a straightened wheel, even if it wasn't cracked.

Did you see what happened to Heikki Kovalainen in yesterday's Spanish Grand Prix? Different type of wheel material, but still not pretty. Apparently McLaren X-rays its wheels before use and reuse, even if there's no visible damage. Does a repair shop X-ray the wheels it fixes? I'd guess no...

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Gone !.......... LSS wheels are pretty reasonable to purchase on here...

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
+1

If there are any visible cracks, no way. Aluminum loses significant strength when "worked" (bent back and forth), so I'm not sure I'd be happy with a straightened wheel, even if it wasn't cracked.

Did you see what happened to Heikki Kovalainen in yesterday's Spanish Grand Prix? Different type of wheel material, but still not pretty. Apparently McLaren X-rays its wheels before use and reuse, even if there's no visible damage. Does a repair shop X-ray the wheels it fixes? I'd guess no...

Rim's gone. i just got that feeling that you get when you chew on tin foil when i saw that pic LOL. That crash yesterday was crazy also. Did they find out how that happened yet? They were saying it could have been a piece of gravel "machining" the rim in two.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Rim's gone. i just got that feeling that you get when you chew on tin foil when i saw that pic LOL. That crash yesterday was crazy also. Did they find out how that happened yet? They were saying it could have been a piece of gravel "machining" the rim in two.
So far all I've seen is "rim failure". Telemetry recorded the impact at 27g's :eek: No wonder he doesn't remember anything...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I tried to Youtube Kovailen's incident, but "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management." :wallbang:

Anyway, I'll be the voice of dissent here. A friend and I both owned '01.5 Audi A4's with the sport package. The forged alloys that came on that car were notoriously soft. In the time I had the car we bent a couple, and my friend also bent a couple. We actually bought a third set of badly curbed and bent wheels and had them straightened and refinished so we'd have spares. We had wheels that were bent much worse than that photo repaired and I was really happy with the work done. I don't think I'd do it on a track car, but if you don't track it repair/refinish is much cheaper than a new wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Anyway, I'll be the voice of dissent here. A friend and I both owned '01.5 Audi A4's with the sport package. The forged alloys that came on that car were notoriously soft. In the time I had the car we bent a couple, and my friend also bent a couple. We actually bought a third set of badly curbed and bent wheels and had them straightened and refinished so we'd have spares. We had wheels that were bent much worse than that photo repaired and I was really happy with the work done. I don't think I'd do it on a track car, but if you don't track it repair/refinish is much cheaper than a new wheel.
I have had a couple of bent rims repaired too and they were just fine on my old track car (Mazda RX-7). I did this mostly because they were NLA aftermarket rims so I was unable to purchase identical replacements, but if I had been able to do so, I would have gone with good used or new ones first. From my experience with these rims and talking with others, most wheels can be repaired, but it really depends on the metallurgy of the wheel and the extent of the damage as well as the skill of the shop doing the repairs. The cracks in your wheel scare me, but I have seen wheels with pieces missing repaired and they performed just fine afterwards. Find a reputable shop and have them examine your rim. If they are a good shop they will be able to tell you right away if it can be repaired. There are standards in the wheel repair industry and a good shop does not want the liability of a failed repair and the resulting lawsuit. If they are willing to back up their work with a warranty, you feel confident in their skills, and they have a good reputation, it may be worth having the rim repaired.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts