The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I mucked up my beautiful Forcedfed CF splitter when I took a business exit apron that was too steep. It's still solidly in one piece, but the outer layer is slightly perforated. I'm considering a DIY custom repair, and here is what I have in mind:

A. Removing the splitter and reinforcing the back side with some JB weld and some small fiberglass sheets.

B. Refinishing the outer surface for paint prep (not sure what to apply on that surface). The perforated exterior area is slightly rough to the touch where it took the hit. Then painting the splitter to match the car (BRP).

C. Buying a sheet of .25 inch black ABS plastic to make a skid plate that attaches to the bottom of the splitter. I have a mind to cut the plastic tapered to form a small lip that follows the bottom contour of the splitter, extending an inch or so forward.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

Reactions: funsigi

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An alternative would be to buy one of these: Lotus Elise 02-09 Vacuum Formed Carbon Fiber Front Lip | eBay
Looks like a knock-off of the one I currently have, but I'm not sure of the quality. Regardless, I'd likely want to reinforce it with some additional internal support and a skid plate of some kind.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I had damage on a forced fed cf/fiberglass splitter. I was able to get it repaired but the edge needed actual fiberglass added. If its not too bad they could sand down a little and gel coat it. On the edge I had them paint the edge a flat black an inch along the edge.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still hoping to get some feedback on the idea of adding an ABS skid plate to reinforce these splitters...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had the Ebay one. It fit perfectly, looked fantastic, and I had no issues until a flash flood happened on my way home one night. It serrated it.
I took the cutoff wheel dremel tool and have cut along the lip, and I planned on bonding a piece of ABS to the bottom, but I just shaved my plinth so it wouldn't fit even if I finished my project.
Obvisally I like the idea of the skid plate, I say do it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts