The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my clutch slave and rebuilt the master, now I have a creak in the transmission at the yoke that moves the clutch inside the transmission. Is there something in there that could need greased? I've been debating separating the motor and tranny to have a look in there anyways, but did not know if there is a a easy fix for this problem or not. Im guessing a bearing slides on the input shaft or something that is getting dry.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine does it sitting still with the engine shut off, its a creaking sound upon pushing the clutch pedal to the floor. Something sounds dry in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Creaking

I suspect the clutch release fork or where the fork pivots on a ball and socket type of pedestal mounted in the bell housing. If your engine is not running and you're hearing a squeak the only things moving are the hydraulic pistons (slave and master), the fluid itself, the pushrod in the slave and the rod in the master connecting the pedal to the MC, the clutch fork, and the throwout bearing. If you're certain it is under the car and not the pedal/rod connection in the cabin, then it is most likely the clutch fork or throwout bearing. If it is necessary to access these it would require removing the transmission if, for example, they need replacing or servicing. One other possibility is that the hydraulic line may be moving when it is pressurized by the pedal - but that is in my view a long shot idea.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that creak was coming from the clutch fork, I kinda narrowed down the sound to that mechanism. However I lowered the car off my jackstands tonight, made sure the clutch engaged and disengaged by pushing the car in gear, started it up and went for a drive and the creak went away. All thats left to do is adjust the pedal travel under the dash, it seems to be a little longer since I changed the setting on that master cylinder engagement rod by removing it and reinstalling it. But that means going into the Lotus position under the dash, so im saving that for another day.

I had a nightmarish mishap with the bleeding of the master cylinder, I dripped brake fluid on the hood last night, and did not find out til tonight. It seemed to of eaten three very very slight valleys in the form of runs of the fluid the entire length of the hood. I used quite a bit of clearcoat when I painted the car though and it didnt make it thru to the color coat, so I wet sanded, and polished them out completely. What a disaster that could of been had it eaten thru to the color coat, theres no buffing that out. And anybody that has painted something large in their garage knows the mess you have to go thru to mask off the car and not to mention your garage to fashion a DIY paint booth.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I think that creak was coming from the clutch fork, I kinda narrowed down the sound to that mechanism. However I lowered the car off my jackstands tonight, made sure the clutch engaged and disengaged by pushing the car in gear, started it up and went for a drive and the creak went away. All thats left to do is adjust the pedal travel under the dash, it seems to be a little longer since I changed the setting on that master cylinder engagement rod by removing it and reinstalling it. But that means going into the Lotus position under the dash, so im saving that for another day.

I had a nightmarish mishap with the bleeding of the master cylinder, I dripped brake fluid on the hood last night, and did not find out til tonight. It seemed to of eaten three very very slight valleys in the form of runs of the fluid the entire length of the hood. I used quite a bit of clearcoat when I painted the car though and it didnt make it thru to the color coat, so I wet sanded, and polished them out completely. What a disaster that could of been had it eaten thru to the color coat, theres no buffing that out. And anybody that has painted something large in their garage knows the mess you have to go thru to mask off the car and not to mention your garage to fashion a DIY paint booth.
Good to hear you've made progress. I also have to adjust my pedal but larger than average carcass doesnt fit in there too well so Im gonna have a more svelt friend check it out for me.

Whoa - careful with brake fluid on the paint! Its a mess. -eek-

·
Registered
900 Posts
Good to hear you've made progress. I also have to adjust my pedal but larger than average carcass doesnt fit in there too well so Im gonna have a more svelt friend check it out for me.

Whoa - careful with brake fluid on the paint! Its a mess. -eek-
You just like me because I'm skinny! :D:D:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts