The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as mentioned above, I'm done everything is back together..my coolant has bleed (nose toward the street, engine side up on driveway).. When it sits the temp stays where it always has.. My problem is when I'm driving... The temp goes lower than the average 188.. I've gotten down to 180 an take it out of gear and into a higher gear wher rpm stay close to 1550 and the temp gets back to where it's suppose to be.. Any advice would be grateful..

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hmmm.... not sure the thermostat was your problem.
I am assuming that you put a 180deg thermostat. So when driving in non-stop and go traffic on a normal temp day, it could/will go down to 180deg. Then the device closes and will maintain the temp. Above 180deg it opens and the radiator does its job.

Your car should idle fine at 180deg at approx 800rpm +/-.

I have a 170 deg thermostat and normally run at 173ish deg and my car idles just fine.

summary, it sounds like the thermostat is working fine

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thermostat was leaking that's why I replaced it.. I went to Toyota and got the 2zz thermo? When I'm driving my temp goes down... When at idle it stays at 187

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
trust me. Its more frustrating that at idle it goes up to 187, not that it goes down when moving.

Think of your car as a Shark. Its happiest when its moving.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,064 Posts
Hmmm.... not sure the thermostat was your problem.
I am assuming that you put a 180deg thermostat. So when driving in non-stop and go traffic on a normal temp day, it could/will go down to 180deg. Then the device closes and will maintain the temp. Above 180deg it opens and the radiator does its job.

Your car should idle fine at 180deg at approx 800rpm +/-.

I have a 170 deg thermostat and normally run at 173ish deg and my car idles just fine.

summary, it sounds like the thermostat is working fine
So the temperature rating should be the minimum temperature the system will get down to, right?

If I got a TRD 160 degree thermostat it would still indicate temperature on the dash right? (159+)... just thinking out loud... :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts