The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just replaced my worn-out front OEM brake pads with some new Hawk HPS pads. The install was very straight forward and only took 10 minutes per side.

So I just went on the test drive to bed the pads. I did 8-10 35mph stops and a few 45 mph stops as instructed by Hawk. I felt the ABS kick in during one of my 35mph stops, which I thought was strange. When I got back home and parked the car, I inspected the brakes just to make sure everything was ok....but it wasn't. :(

The driver side brake was emitting massive amounts of heat. Enough so, that touching the wheel spokes for more than a few seconds would burn you. The passenger side looked and felt fine, but the driver side rotor looked strange. Just to note, there is no lip between the discolored areas. I can tell that the caliper is not stuck because I can easily roll the car by hand. See below.

What happened!? :confused:

Maybe I just got on the brakes a little to hard for bedding. Should I let them cool and do some normal driving to see what happens?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I think you should've drove around for a while after the numerous stops to let the brake system cool down. I use this procedure from Stoptech when bedding in brakes:
StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I once installed a brake pad backwards, made a lot of grinding noise. I quickly fixed it.

Brakes are supposed to get hot, I'm almost concerned that the other side isn't really hot.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure that the stock pad covered the area noted in RED.

Is it possible that the new pads are smaller and only covering the BLUE area?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Weird, but any chance they're not the right pads for the car. Based on your illustration, it looks like they're a different size. That they are smaller than OEM I would think would lead to higher temps. Are they the same size on both sides? I'd assume so since they ship in an axle set, but you never know. You didn't mention, was there a difference in friction from side to side (ie, the wheel pulling)? Again, I'd assume you'd have mentioned that. What if they're two different pad materials (due to an error by the manufacturer)? Just trying to ask the tough questions. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
By anychance are those rear Lotus brake pads in the front? since the rear pads have a smaller surface area and don't cover the entire rear brake rotor. Did the front and rear pads match in size? because as far as I can remember they shouldn't the fronts r bigger and like u said they sweep the entire rotor.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, they are the correct front pads. All front pads were identical. I just drove around for a while doing all types of braking, and it seems to be fine now.

I think I may have just been a bit too agressive on the bedding :thwack:

But I still don't know why the driver rotor is gold/bronze where the pad does not contact. The others are not like that. Just to note, the stock pads on this rotor were completely shot while all 3 other wheels had a small amount left.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It's not unusual for the brakes and wheels to be very hot after a brake bedding session. FWIW, the fact that your ABS is kicking in at 35mph means the pads are sticking well enough to lock the wheels - which is what you want.

If you want to see something exciting, have a friend bed in a heavy car with Hawk Blues at night, hitting the brakes as he passes you. Fourth of July!

ed

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
But I still don't know why the driver rotor is gold/bronze where the pad does not contact. The others are not like that. Just to note, the stock pads on this rotor were completely shot while all 3 other wheels had a small amount left.
Well, new pads are flat and an old rotor isn't, so that might explain the gold/bronze area. As the pad wears, I'd expect it to better match the contours of the rotor.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
MattG has it right. Especially if that rotor was subjected previously to a pad that wore all the way down prior to you putting in the new pads.

xtn

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I drove it in to work today and everything felt ok. I'll just keep an eye on it for a while.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Subject: RE: Premature ABS activation with non standard brake

> pads

>

>

>

> The ABS system is tuned to a specific pad material, Textar T4139.
Fitting a brake pad with a different friction coefficient,

> will have an effect on the ABS intervention. Premature ABS activation

> suggests that a pad material with a higher coefficient of friction is

> being used, i.e. building brake torque quicker, creating slip and activating the ABS.

> Likewise, fitting different brake pads front to rear, with different

> fricition coefficients, could result in some instability and the ABS

> not working as effectively as it should.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Subject: RE: Premature ABS activation with non standard brake

> pads

>

>

>

> The ABS system is tuned to a specific pad material, Textar T4139.
Fitting a brake pad with a different friction coefficient,

> will have an effect on the ABS intervention. Premature ABS activation

> suggests that a pad material with a higher coefficient of friction is

> being used, i.e. building brake torque quicker, creating slip and activating the ABS.

> Likewise, fitting different brake pads front to rear, with different

> fricition coefficients, could result in some instability and the ABS

> not working as effectively as it should.
Correct...Go to the head of the class. :) We call that "glide mode" but people here call it "ice mode." However, it is not all that serious and nothing to worry about if you know about the "why."
I have a racing ABS solution for those interested. Same setup on many Grand Am and ALMS cars. It costs 5 figures. Serious inquires only, please.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So after driving on these Hawk HPS pads for a week, i've concluded that they suck! Stopping distances have greatly increased. I can stand on the pedal and they still won't lock. :(

I feel like my 88 BMW 5er stops better with Axxis Ultimate pads.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i just put new Pagid RS-14's on mine, and the difference is crazy (GOOD). Stops like a brick wall compared to the OEM's.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
You mean they stop in the same minimum distance, but with less pedal pressure/travel, right?

-poke-

xtn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts