The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:coolnana:

Today I decided to recharge the AC and after I tried it out I remembered that one of the fans was screaming like a mouse having it's balls stepped on. It was really bad, women were grabbing their kids and hiding. It had been intermittent in the past, but now it's unbearable. I had picked up a coupled of used stock fans last year but wasn't that motivated to tackle the project, particularly if the clam had to be removed. I narrowed it down to the passenger fan. Since I had old fans, I was able to determine that the fan is held by two studs to the radiator. I could get the front one easily enough, but the back one was another story. I had about given up working from the front and twisting my hand, arm and every other body part to no avail to get at the back nut. I decided to look under the front louvers at the top of the radiator. I poked a soft wire through the rubber (foam) on the top to see where it came out. Wow, right at the top of the fan. I pulled the foam back carefully and was able to see the top stud and nut. I proceeded to remove both nuts with a 10 mm wrench. The front one was easy but the back one only allowed short turns. After I got the nuts off I thought the fan would drop down in the front intake. I was thinking the hole in the brackets were slotted. No such luck. But at least the fan was loosed and wiggled some. I took a Dremel tool and notched the front bracket to allow the stud to drop down and I was able to pulled the fan free. Replaced fan by fitting the back stud in the hole and swinging the front into the notch. I tried to wire it from the front but gave up and pulled the wire up top with string and connected them with waterproof connectors. I would expect the the driver's side is the same but I did not check. It wasn't hard but really tedious due to tight quarters.

Now I can actually hear the stage 2 exhaust with out the fan drowning it out. And I didn't have to remove the clam.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a follow up to replacing the fan. Prior to replacement of the fan I had a run on noise coming from the rear of the car after I shut off the ignition. It sounded like pulley run-on after the engine shut off. I thought it might be the ac unit. Anyway, after replacing the bad fan up front the noise has stopped. Must have been the bad bearing in the fan running down after shut off. I could have sworn the noise was in the rear. I never heard the noise when the car was running, just when I shut it off.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Nice writeup. Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts