The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I placed my stock gas cap on the back of the car while refueling a while back, and when I left the gas station the cap didn't. :wallbang:

I replaced with a nissan maxima cap and immediately ordered (reads: month or so later) a Stant 11511 after reading of success with this cap without mods.

Needless to say, the engine light came on when I had the nissan cap on, but has not gone back off after replacing with the Stant 11511. It's been about 3 weeks, 200 miles, and dozens of cold start/stop cycles. The car is an 07 with ~5200 miles that runs/sounds great otherwise.

I've searched and read all the posts that I could find related to working gas caps, but haven't seen anyone mention an "out-of-the-box" working replacement other than the 11511. Can anyone recommend a direct replacement cap that isn't the $$$ official lotus part?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I lost my cap the same way -- on the road to a track day. I had to drive without the cap for about 50 miles and the check engine light never came on. I went to Wallmart as soon as got to Willows (the small town near the track), as it was the only source of autoparts in town at that time of day. Bought a generic replacement universal gas gap. Has worked fine. No problems whatsoever.

Am I missing something here? Does the Lotus actually need a special gas cap? I have an 05, FWIW.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Probably need to clear the code with a ODBII reader... can borrow (buy/return) one from the local auto parts store

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I tried a dozen or so gas caps and my light came on with each. Finally just paid the ridiculous $50 for a new 'lotus' gas cap.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Just checked my cap. It is a Stant, non-locking, and I think it cost about $5 from Walmart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know. I'll go to the local store and try clearing the codes.

@JonOrgange: Does your Stant have a model number? No big deal if it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Good to know. I'll go to the local store and try clearing the codes.

@JonOrgange: Does your Stant have a model number? No big deal if it doesn't.
hah. No, I looked everywhere for it, but it doesn't have a number. But I do remember that Walmart had 3-4 different Stant caps, and two were of the size I went with -- one locking cap, and one non-locking (the one I bought).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do European Lotus's get locking gas cap?
If they do, can we buy it from here?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Apparently I'm a blithering idiot.

I checked the cap yesterday and noticed that it was not affixed properly. The Stant 11511 requires a little more force and attention, but does seem to fit nicely.

Refueled and took her on a short drive. Engine light went off by itself within a few hours.

Many thanks for all help from the community. Maybe I'll bother to check my work before posting again....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I drove around for a day without any gas cap at all and my light never came on.

xtn

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Am I missing something here? Does the Lotus actually need a special gas cap? I have an 05, FWIW.
Every modern car needs a special gas cap. The cap also acts as a pressure relief. If too much pressure or vacuum builds up, the cap allows flow (although I suspect that they only allow air in, not out). The pressure limits are often different from car to car.

Just checked my cap. It is a Stant, non-locking, and I think it cost about $5 from Walmart.
You got lucky in that you happened to pick one that works.

Do European Lotus's get locking gas cap?
If they do, can we buy it from here?
The Euro spec cars didn't get the door over the gas cap that we do. Their cap is exposed, and locking versions are available. US safety regulations require that the cap/fill pipe can not be attached/exposed to the outside of the body of the car. So ours is not quite attached to the body, and has the door over the cap. The European caps will not fit out cars.

Emission regulations require that our gas tanks must hold a vacuum and a pressure without releasing gas vapors - i.e. the tank is sealed. Part of the ODB-II testing sequences is to test the emission evaporative control system. This is done by measuring the vacuum/pressure in the tank, and measuring the "leak" rate. This test fails when a gas cap is not on correctly or is the wrong type. The "fail" is recorded in the ECU and a couple of "fails" in a row (depends on the specific make/model of the car) will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light). Some cars/conditions turn on the light on a single fail, and may take a couple of "passes" to turn the light back off.

I drove around for a day without any gas cap at all and my light never came on.
You probably drove it in such a way that the ECU was never able to complete it's evaporative emissions test. There are certain conditions that have to be met for it to complete the tests. Driving for at least a certain number of minutes, at or above a certain speed for a specified length of time, starting from cold, etc. It can get a bit complicated. I have a truck that had it's evaporative purge valve (the thing that controls the pressures) go out on it. Sometimes it would take a week after clearing the code before it came back, some times the code (and MIL) would come back after a half hour. It all depends. Changing out the $80 valve fixed the problem and it's been about 60,000 miles and 5 years without any problems.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I thought I'd bring this topic back, since I did the exact same thing as the OP. By the time I went back to the gas station, somebody had already driven off with my fallen off gas cap (didn't know they were in such high demand :p).

I bought a Murray's Universal Nissan gas cap spec'd for a Nissan Maxima, and it seems to work (at least no CEL's in the first 100 miles). I'll keep you guys informed as to whether or not this solution actually works.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
If it doesnt work, I think I remember hearing its identical to a jaguar cap? May have to do some forum searching but hopefully thats a good starting point

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I thought I'd bring this topic back, since I did the exact same thing as the OP. By the time I went back to the gas station, somebody had already driven off with my fallen off gas cap (didn't know they were in such high demand :p).

I bought a Murray's Universal Nissan gas cap spec'd for a Nissan Maxima, and it seems to work (at least no CEL's in the first 100 miles). I'll keep you guys informed as to whether or not this solution actually works.
The correct cap is from a 2003 Jaguar X-type, available from your Jag dealer (with a lanyard) for about $23.00. It is the exact piece that Lotus uses and less than half the price your Lotus dealer charges.

You can check out the most informative thread on the subject (including converting it to a locking gas cap...highly recommended) at: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/locking-gas-cap-21277/.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The correct cap is from a 2003 Jaguar X-type, available from your Jag dealer (with a lanyard) for about $23.00. It is the exact piece that Lotus uses and less than half the price your Lotus dealer charges.

You can check out the most informative thread on the subject (including converting it to a locking gas cap...highly recommended) at: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/locking-gas-cap-21277/.
I have called a couple Jag dealers, and neither had it in stock, but both asked if it was the "screw type" or the "quarter turn" (apparently there were two fitted to the X type in 2003). I am guessing it is the screw type?

edit: I guess it is the Quarter Turn, that's P/N C2P5270. $28.18 + tax at Jag Newport Beach

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
asked if it was the "screw type" or the "quarter turn" (apparently there were two fitted to the X type in 2003). I am guessing it is the screw type?
Mine is a quarter turn type...

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Check with member 'Dave', he might have a new Lotus cap at a discount.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I originallly replaced mine with a toyota gas cap and the check engine light came on. I replaced it with a Lotus cap from the dealer and have been fine ever since

1 - 20 of 38 Posts