The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

So I have one of the highest Elise's in the country it seems (97k miles) and one of the only signes of wear I am dealing with are the Headlight lenses.

They almost look sandblasted. I am currious to know if anyone that has polished there headlights know if it was any help with the chips?

I priced new lenses at a whopping $600/ea which is no good.

I am also having issues with terrible glare from my windshield because of millions of little chips, however Im sure replacement is my only option.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have the same issue with my windshield (not headlights yet) and I am at only 22k miles! If you find a good way to solve it short of replacement, I'd love to know.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
The headlights can be sanded and polished out, there'll be an improvement but larger "chips" will still be visible. Especially when the lights are on, any reputable body shop could do this.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
There are great headlamp polishing kits out there, you can fix this yourself. Suggestion, remove the headlamp cover first, so you don't end up affecting your adjacent paint job. After polishing them, put them back on.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I am exploring what it would cost to come up with some replacement lenses.
I dont have answers yet though

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had a headlamp that was splitting at the seam and was told by the shop I took it to that a replacement was $1100.00 for 1. I paid to have them re-seal it and that set me back 215.00 in labor. :mad:

My headlamp covers are not crystal clear either but they are not close to looking sandblasted. I would like to replace them with new when I put in HID lights but I just don't know if its worth the money, even at $600.00 a light to replace.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Don't polish, clear..Get a rubber sanding block, wet sand using 1K grid and clear the lens, if you go to an auto paint supply or auto parts store they have it in spray can (make sure is automotive clear) don't go to Home depot :D and call it a day. BTW you owe me lunch for saving you $600!!

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
^ with your driving type (miles) that's gonna chip and look 20x worse, fast. If you go with clear coat have a shop that specializes in semi trucks clear them, their paint lines are nearly indestructible.

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
Hey guys.

So I have one of the highest Elise's in the country it seems (97k miles) and one of the only signes of wear I am dealing with are the Headlight lenses.

They almost look sandblasted. I am currious to know if anyone that has polished there headlights know if it was any help with the chips?

I priced new lenses at a whopping $600/ea which is no good.

I am also having issues with terrible glare from my windshield because of millions of little chips, however Im sure replacement is my only option.
Yeah I am not to far behind you in miles (94k miles) and my lenses look like crap as well.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
my windshield is also sparkly from all the micro chips. When the sun angle is just right, the glass is practically glowing. I always wonder if it is some kind of cheap glass, as I have never seen a windshield with more micro chips. The only thing i see hitting the glass is bugs.

When I replace the windshield, I am going to put starshield on the glass. And just deal with any distortion caused by it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My windshield has the exact same problem. It looks like tree sap 'dots' all over it and when I'm driving into the sun they all glow. I am wanting to replace the windshield as well. I never thought of putting the starshield over glass.. I wonder how that would look?

my windshield is also sparkly from all the micro chips. When the sun angle is just right, the glass is practically glowing. I always wonder if it is some kind of cheap glass, as I have never seen a windshield with more micro chips. The only thing i see hitting the glass is bugs.

When I replace the windshield, I am going to put starshield on the glass. And just deal with any distortion caused by it.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,155 Posts
I have 7k miles on mine but yeah, the windshield problem is there. I think it's the low ride of the car, not much you can do about our cars getting that much more hits because it's low.

As for the headlights, where can I take it to get starshield'ed? The dealer?

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
I have 7k miles on mine but yeah, the windshield problem is there. I think it's the low ride of the car, not much you can do about our cars getting that much more hits because it's low.

As for the headlights, where can I take it to get starshield'ed? The dealer?
Places like Mulholland motorsports have there own guy that replaces the starshield and can custom fit it in other places as well. I am sure the other lotus repair shop around the corner from them (forgot their name,sorry) also does this as well. They can use the original stuff or custom cut better matterial that will last much longer. I had my old Elise repaired there and it needed a new rear clam and new starshield. It turned out perfect.

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts

Sector111 sells a lexan windshield thats half the price of a glass windshield. Now I know this is not street legal or technically safe but is there really a way to detect the difference if a police officer were to walk up to your car as he or she is leaning down to ask for three pieces of paper work? And I dont know about you guys but if I crash my Lotus bad enough to the point that I am going through the windshield even with my seat belt on and the airbags deploying I will probably be dead anyhow before crossing over the dash on my way out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My windshield has the exact same problem. It looks like tree sap 'dots' all over it and when I'm driving into the sun they all glow. I am wanting to replace the windshield as well. I never thought of putting the starshield over glass.. I wonder how that would look?
"Tree sap dots" ??? My windshield had what looked like water spots on it... wouldn't clean off with Windex or foam glass cleaner.

I took 000 Fine Steel Wool and glass cleaner and lightly polished the glass... removed all water spots with no scratching. My wind shield does look slighly wavey in the light, but I just think "hand-made british sports car..."

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea its a mess.
They make a removeable windshield laminate similar to starshield but designed for optical clarity. Just dont know that it would be effective on a streetcar as it gets much more continous wear than a track car. Not to mention you would still need to replace the windshield, this would only preserve it and not repair it.

As for the headlights, Im going to Wetsand them, compound them, and Laminate them with the same Film I tint tail lights with. I have a very light slighty "smoked" version I already used on the front turn-signals and I think It will at least restore a smooth visual appearance when the lights are off. However when on, they will look close to as before I am sure.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
"Tree sap dots" ??? My windshield had what looked like water spots on it... wouldn't clean off with Windex or foam glass cleaner.

I took 000 Fine Steel Wool and glass cleaner and lightly polished the glass... removed all water spots with no scratching. My wind shield does look slighly wavey in the light, but I just think "hand-made british sports car..."
Most likely the after math of a texas tornado, it tends to leave a few permanent scars on glass..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts