The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
LOL. I am starting to think that I should have a driving suit made out of StarShield, just in case.

I have a 2009 Elise with 50,000 km (31,000 miles). The light covers and the windshield both look like new. Most of my miles have been logged on the highway.

I have heard that you can buy some polishing paste of some kind to treat the headlight covers. I don't have a recommendation on brand though. One of my friends cleaned his headlight covers (on his Chrysler) and said the results were good.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
SEM 21013 Solaray UV headlight repair I just bought. I will do a review after I try it out. I read excellent reviews.. it better for $50 a can!

UPDATE! I sanded the headlight with 800, 1500, and then 2,000. I spent around 2.5 to 3 hours sanding it perfectly. MAKE SURE the entire unit looks the same evenly after you sand it. YES the entire unit will look the same after sanding it IF you sanded it correctly. I sprayed 2 coats of SEM 21013 UV headlight repair on it. Waited 30 mins between coats and when it was done parked the car in the sun to help cure the UV coat. It looks NEW! Nooooo joke! Try it out!

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
SEM 21013 Solaray UV headlight repair I just bought. I will do a review after I try it out. I read excellent reviews.. it better for $50 a can!
Do you simply spray it on or do you have to sand and buff as well with that stuff?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just paid a local detailing guy $100 to clean and polish my lenses. I did all the work of getting them off the car and putting them back on. I just handed the lenses over to him to work on. They turned out great but he said it was not easy and he said next time he would need to charge more. They had to do many sanding sessions starting with lower numbers to get the imperfections and sandblasting out. They worked their way all the way up to 3000 grit. Then they put on a tough UV inhibitor polish. He said one of the problems with our lenses is that they are made of a very soft plastic compound. He's right. They can get scratched just by breathing on them. You definitely want to tape those things up when at the track.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
1,000 then 2000 wet sand, tape off the area, respray. I posted a link of showing a porsche headlight start to finish.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
clay bar the glass is pretty good too i hear...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Has anyone applied lamix or paint protection film on the headlight lens?

I have an S240 that needs film.
-Robert

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone applied lamix or paint protection film on the headlight lens?

I have an S240 that needs film.
-Robert
There are some old threads with plenty of people lamenting this job. The headlights are a funky shape that makes applying a clear film very difficult. That said, the film is probably the best way to keep the covers in good condition. Chuforia sells a cheap kit if you want to give it a try yourself.

Lotus Elise / Exige Clear Headlight and Turn Signal Kit

·
Registered
593 Posts
My lights were in bad shape so I separated the covers, wet sanded them with an array of grit paper. If I recall it was a good 1-2 hours or sanding per light cover.

On e that was done I took them to a quality paint shop and had them clear coated. They look brand new again.

I know places can put star shields material on any part of a car including glass. Google that up and you will find vendors who are pro at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 35 of 35 Posts