The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a LED compatable flasher relay today and decided to document the process. I have not seen a post that dealt with this so I shot pictures and showed the steps. I also documented which relays were for the horn, CDL (central door locking) and wiper delay. So here goes.

Instructions to install a LED flasher for Lotus Elise/Exige
The following instructions will aid in the replacement of a non-LED flasher relay with a LED compatible flasher relay. These instructions are for a 2005 Elise but I think they will apply to most of the years and variants. This is a somewhat difficult operation due to the location of the relay and the small cockpit of these cars. It is strongly suggested to have a helper when you start this operation because they can pass tools, lights, etc. and may also aid in extracting you if you get stuck. It is also a good idea to take out the passenger seat and put a blanket or a cushion on the floor.
  1. Obtain a CF13 GL-02 flasher for LED. eBay sellers will try to substitute a CF13 JL-02 saying they are equivalent but it is NOT. Although the pin layout is the same, the positive and negative terminals are reversed. A good source is Superbrightleds. The following link should work. CF13GL-02 LED Bulb Electronic Flasher | Super Bright LEDs
  2. Disconnect battery for safety
  3. Remove passenger seat and install blanket/cushion
  4. Stage the new relay, a Philips screw driver, a blade screw driver, and a portable light.
  5. Lay on back on floor and look under the dash to identify the flasher relay based upon pictures
  6. Remove the lower black relay by inserting the blade screwdriver between the base of the #4 wiper delay relay and the socket. Slight twisting of the screwdriver should unseat the relay and you can pry it the rest of the way out.
  7. At this point, try to remove the top black relay using the same method as step 6.
  8. The screw that holds the bracket to the car can be removed if desired. This will allow the relay socket to dangle down under the dash.
  9. Installation is the reverse of the removal steps.

All under dash relays identified

Bottom relay removed to access the flasher relay or screws to remove bracket.

Correct relay shown installed

Hope this will help someone! PM me with any corrections please. RL

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Just bought some used V2 LED tail lights, and I think this will come in handy soon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
@RapidLotus forgive the off topic question. If I want to add to the fuse block that has the single 15amp fuse whats the best approach? Hoping you some ideas given your electrical expertise. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@RapidLotus forgive the off topic question. If I want to add to the fuse block that has the single 15amp fuse whats the best approach? Hoping you some ideas given your electrical expertise. Thanks in advance!
You could use a fuse splitter. Amazon has lots of them. Here is a link to one example. What are you trying to power and where are you thinking of tapping? Make sure you look at the continuous Amperage to make sure it is sized to carry the current. Good luck, tell us how it works.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Mmm, was thinking the fuse block might be powered itself. Tell if I'm crazy but I'm thinking for running a hot wire from the battery to a powered fuse block, then I can run usb ports under the front dash 9and whatever else I might want to power). Would this work?

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may want to consider my post from May 21 of 2018. It is a much easier and cost effective all-in-one solution. They are even offering USB 3 sockets now. I also like it because it is out of the way and no cables dangling from the dash.
Phone charging the 2018 way in a 2005 Elise

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I buy the wiring harness and flasher module from you? Kinda need asap!
Sorry, I'm not sure what wiring harness you are talking about. Also, I don't sell the flasher modules myself. The link to purchase the relay is above and they take a few days to deliver, relatively fast. What is the overall project you are working on?

·
Banned
2 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure what wiring harness you are talking about. Also, I don't sell the flasher modules myself. The link to purchase the relay is above and they take a few days to deliver, relatively fast. What is the overall project you are working on?
The wiring harness that comes with your kit. I actually thought I was the first to do these till I saw this post! I'd love to just buy the wiring from ya mostly cause I'm lazy lol!

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay, now I understand. PM me your phone number and we will talk tonight or tomorrow about how it should be wired up. There are multiple combinations. I'll give you some links if you send me your email.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
This relay swap worked for me, I am now on LED tails without hyperflashing! I was a bit concerned at first as the Lotus relay I removed had an extra pin, but the new 3-pin relay dropped in and worked well. Thanks RapidLotus!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts