The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Canada, the Mobil 1 0W-40 oil for the Elise has been hard to find and I was really pleased in the Spring to find that the local Chrysler dealers carried the ESP Formula M version for the Mercedes Diesel vans which I could get from them at a discount price. Just went to get some more so I could change our '06 Elise oil and filter before winter storage and found out that Chrysler is now using Penzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. Sounds like a contract change to another oil supplier by Fiat.

I presume it will do the same job.

Comments?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
In Canada, the Mobil 1 0W-40 oil for the Elise has been hard to find and I was really pleased in the Spring to find that the local Chrysler dealers carried the ESP Formula M version for the Mercedes Diesel vans which I could get from them at a discount price. Just went to get some more so I could change our '06 Elise oil and filter before winter storage and found out that Chrysler is now using Penzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. Sounds like a contract change to another oil supplier by Fiat.

I presume it will do the same job.

Comments?
i don't know, but maybe you can find Castrol 5W-40? that's really good stuff too. You might be ok w/ the Penzoil, but i do not know.

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Just use Mobil 0w-40, its a eurospec oil and has about 90% of the zddp that the old 5w-40 turbo diesel stuff people in the states use. I'd bet penzoil is ok too

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I stopped using mobil 1 after reports of them reformulating it with much less zddp than how they used to make them. There are some well known engine builders on the domestic forums that are warning against using mobil1. There were also independent tests done to confirm the low amount of zddp. Shell rotella still ranks up there and it's cheaper.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
are you referring to the Mobil 1 5W-40 truck turbo diesel stuff?

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Royal Purple.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here in the states Amsoil is kind of hard to find, but it's good stuff.

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
You can go right to Mobil's website and see exactly how much zddp is in their 5w-40 TD oil as well as the 0w-40 euro stuff. Maybe they dramatically reduced it in traditional oils in the states (ie 5w-30, 10w-30) ? I couldn't say I know for sure.

What I do know is that I went to their website and compared the zddp content between the two, and decided I felt comfortable with the 0w-40 based off what I saw (and some blackstone reports of the same oil run through a tracked Exige)

I couldn't say that I know enough to tell if any of the other oils mentioned is better/worse/same, but the 0w-40 meets my requirements so far.

I stopped using mobil 1 after reports of them reformulating it with much less zddp than how they used to make them. There are some well known engine builders on the domestic forums that are warning against using mobil1. There were also independent tests done to confirm the low amount of zddp. Shell rotella still ranks up there and it's cheaper.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
521 Posts
Recommend(ed) Fluids. Please!

I've been looking for a place to post this as I have been reading a lot of different input about what are "the best" sometimes "best available" fluids for use in our cars. While I've been waiting for the delivery of my car, (Thursday now thanks to all of the bad weather) I contacted the Service dept. at Ron Tonkin in Portland OR (where I bought the car from) to find out what fluids they use in the Elises (maybe Exiges also?) Here they are.

Oil: Shell/Pennzoil Ultra euro formula 5w-40

Brake fluid/clutch fluid: Shell Ultra Synthetic DOT 4 OR ATE super blue fluid

Gearbox: Shell Helix 75w90 GL5 synthetic OR Redline MT90

I'm still waiting to hear what coolant they use. Look's like I'm going to be doing a lot of import purchasing from the UK since that's where these products can be found. I have already learned that "ATE super blue DOT-4 fluid is illegal for street use in Florida and is about to be banned entirely by the EPA. (Going the way of the rest of the good stuff...)
What I wish is for the Senior sages in here to drive a stick in the ground with a recommendation on substances we can all get and should use. So far the Mobil-1 5W 40 Fully Synthetic Turbo Diesel Oil looks good with either a
Toyota 90915-YZZF1 (was10004) or TRD PTR43-33010 oil filter. Next?:confused:

·
Less is Better
2,882 Posts
I've been looking for a place to post this as I have been reading a lot of different input about what are "the best" sometimes "best available" fluids for use in our cars. While I've been waiting for the delivery of my car, (Thursday now thanks to all of the bad weather) I contacted the Service dept. at Ron Tonkin in Portland OR (where I bought the car from) to find out what fluids they use in the Elises (maybe Exiges also?) Here they are.

Oil: Shell/Pennzoil Ultra euro formula 5w-40

Brake fluid/clutch fluid: Shell Ultra Synthetic DOT 4 OR ATE super blue fluid

Gearbox: Shell Helix 75w90 GL5 synthetic OR Redline MT90

I'm still waiting to hear what coolant they use. Look's like I'm going to be doing a lot of import purchasing from the UK since that's where these products can be found. I have already learned that "ATE super blue DOT-4 fluid is illegal for street use in Florida and is about to be banned entirely by the EPA. (Going the way of the rest of the good stuff...)
What I wish is for the Senior sages in here to drive a stick in the ground with a recommendation on substances we can all get and should use. So far the Mobil-1 5W 40 Fully Synthetic Turbo Diesel Oil looks good with either a
Toyota 90915-YZZF1 (was10004) or TRD PTR43-33010 oil filter. Next?:confused:
ATE gold 200 is exactly the same as superblue but without the dye.

Porsche owners are meticulous about just about every aspect of their cars including oils. These guys have been involved in several aspects of the newer water cooled P-car engines and have some insight into oils that I consider valuable.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
You can go right to Mobil's website and see exactly how much zddp is in their 5w-40 TD oil as well as the 0w-40 euro stuff. Maybe they dramatically reduced it in traditional oils in the states (ie 5w-30, 10w-30) ? I couldn't say I know for sure.

What I do know is that I went to their website and compared the zddp content between the two, and decided I felt comfortable with the 0w-40 based off what I saw (and some blackstone reports of the same oil run through a tracked Exige)

I couldn't say that I know enough to tell if any of the other oils mentioned is better/worse/same, but the 0w-40 meets my requirements so far.

Apparently the ZDDP is bad for the catalytic converters so they have been getting pressure to reduce the amount year to year. At least that was the reasoning that I was told. Allegedly , the Mobil1 labeled with "high mileage" is a better pick as it has higher amounts of ZDDP added in.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I will never again put any Pennzoil product in my engines ever again... that used to be the worst oil as far a coking (that brown shellac that get coated on the inside of your engine) goes... I realize that that was back in the 70s and they may have changed their formulation, but I just won't!

As a general rule of thumb, look for this logo on the oil bottle/can

you will be surprised how few of the oils in the stores have this logo... and only use that oi.

ZDDP is just one of many additives...

BTW, I use the Mobile 1 5W-40 for TD engines...and it does not have that logo... :D

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
Mobil 1 0W-40: Phosphorus @ 1000PPM
Zinc @ 1100PPM

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40: Phos @ 1130PPM
Zinc @ 1250

Shell Rotella T6 5W-40:

This is a problem, as I found no data that isn't 2-3 yrs old, and Shell says they reduced the phosphorus.

Had been: ZDDP 1200PPM
Phos 1257
Zinc 1123

While these are good numbers, we can't rely on them for that oil today.

If anyone find the current levels, pls share here.

PS: RD Enterprises, long time purveyor of Lotus parts in PA sells a nice ZDDP additive at a good price.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
521 Posts
Now rescinding my choice of "Mobil-1 full synthetic 5w 40 turbo-diesel". Spoke with Mobil oil tech support today (800-662-4525) and discussed this. They DO NOT recommend the turbo diesel for our application. Rather, the best they can offer is the Mobil-1 0w 40 conventional full synthetic. When I questioned the viscosity and it's effect upon oil pressure, they just said "It's what BMW, Porsche and Mercedes use".

Here is what we can get in North America that from everything I've read is the equivalent of The
Ferrari Formula 1 oil that Ron Tonkin (Oldest Ferrari and Lotus dealership in North America) uses.
Pennzoil 550022576 Ultra 5W-40 European Full Synthetic Motor Oil (Available through Amazon.com).
What we can't get is: Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil. (Only in Europe and they won't ship it stateside. Go figure).

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
I assume you mean rescinding.

1. Why did he make that statement?

a. Same engine in my XRS and Toyota calls for 5W-30.

b. What are the drawbacks to the 5w-40

2. Did you tell him why we want lots of ZDDP?

a. Does he know what our engines are; how built?

3. IIRC, TurboPhil says we need more ZDDP than the 0W-40 offers, but one could add some as an additive.

Frankly, without more details, I'd trust Phil and Lotus over a perhaps random conversation with a guy on the phone.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts