The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Elise with Touring Pack & Hardtop. It has about 35kmi on it and I have noticed some curious handling: when I hit a bump or sharp "dip" that spans the entire lane, the left front corner seems to "bounce" up a noticable amount, while the right front does not. With that many miles, I'm guessing that either the LF shock is dead or the RF(or RR) is stuck or "hung up". In any case, I think a new set of 4 shocks(and maybe springs) is in order. The car will be Auto-X'd OCCASIONALLY and maybe a track day or two per year; I don't need a "race" set up as the car is normally just a "driver" on the public roads, but I'm curious what options are available; I have used adjustable Spax on a few Europas with good results.

What performance shocks are available? Should I alter the spring rates while changing? I'd even consider a set of "as new" shocks/springs from an Elise with Sport Pack or Track Pack whose owner has gone for a more exotic set up.

Thanks in advance to you experienced Elise owners for your input.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Can someone please square the SELOC Techwiki with these comments from a 2009 posting?

Here is some comparision info:

Lotus Stnd
front rate = 242 lbs weight = 5.65 lbs
rear rate = 342 lbs weight = 6.25 lbs

Lotus Sport
front rate = 271 lbs weight = 5.65 lbs
rear rate = 371 lbs weight = 6.25 lbs

Lotus Track Pack
front rate = 180 > 271 lbs (variable rate vs load) weight = ???
rear rate = 260 > 371 lbs (variable rate vs load) weight = ???

BC/Darkside Racing Single Adjustable
front rate = 279 lbs weight = ???
rear rate = 391 lbs weight = ???
(purchaser specifed rates availible at no extra cost)

Nitron Sport Pro Single Adjustable (w Sector 111 spring rates)
front rate = 525 lbs weight = 4.6 lbs
rear rate = 650 lbs weight = 5.5 lbs

Nitron Sport Pro Single Adjustable (w Elise Parts spring rates)
front rate = 325 lbs weight = 4.6 lbs
rear rate = 400 lbs weight = 5.5 lbs

Nitron Track Double Adjustable
front rate = 475 lbs weight = 6.4 lbs (with remote reservoirs)
rear rate = 600 lbs weight = 8.05 lbs (with remote reservoirs)

Ohlin Track Double Adjustable
front rate = 326 lbs weight = 5.0 lbs (with remote reservoirs)
rear rate = 423 lbs weight = 6.95 lbs (with remote reservoirs)

BWR/Penske
front rate = 350 lbs weight = ???
rear rate = 500 lbs weight = ???

If anybody has the weight for the sets that I'm missing I'll include them in the info above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Rondo Fondu; 01-14-2009 at 04:21 PM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replacement Shocks/Springs

Thanks for all the info. Note that I said "OCCASIONALLY" Auto-x'd -- I don't need double adjustable exotic shocks with remote reserviors for street; I'm sure the cost would also be prohibitive; all info is very interesting and I will continue to accept advice and research options. Right now, I'm inclined toward the Track Pack or Sport Pack options, but still open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
For the budget minded try posting here in the WTB section for some low miles shocks that were removed early on for upgrade to track stuff, near new stock or Sport pack shocks and springs sometimes go for the price of one or even less. Shocks interchange from 05 to 09 for sure and probably later.
You might consider staying with standard if you are mostly on the street, some here have gone to sport and then back to stock for ride comfort.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Shocks/springs

After reviewing the list of spring rates, it would seem that the Track Pack would be the most desirable -- ie the variable rates are less than stock with light loads, then stiffer when hard cornering is desired. .....or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
6,244 Posts
Track pack definitely more desirable than LSS suspension! I've had both

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If your front wheels seem REALLY independant of each other, don't forget to check the links to the front sway bar too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts