The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for replacement front and rear speakers for an 06 Exige. The front are factory units, while the PO removed the rear speakers. What are the recommended replacement sizes?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Jim Claytons 5.25 adapter rings up front and 6.5's in the rear with the JL C2' seems to be the common upgrade.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yep, what Michael Mann said. I went a different route and did 4" Focals up front with 1" tweeters drilled in (requires dash removal).

Easiest option is the rings in front with 5.25s. Drop right in.

Jim Clayton can get you the rings. I have a set of 5.25 JL C2 if interested, ping me.

Again, JL C2's 5.25 and 6.5 are the best and most proven way to go!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Are you thinking of putting the rears back in???

I assume PO removed them to save a few ounces of weight... ( i think it's easier to drink less beer... but then again, I like my beer).

Considering sound imaging of car audio... most of your sound should come from the front. That is, unless you like going to a concert and standing with your back to the stage.

With that... the rear speakers should only offer some "fill". But since our car interior are so tight... their importance is much less.

Upgrading your fronts beyond factory will make the biggest improvement. The rest is personal taste. The rears could be eliminated.

I'm running JL C2 5.25 up front... JL C2 6.0 in the rear (gained down to serve as fill)... a Chuck Risen JL 8" sub... and an Alpine pdx-5.

And... what??? what??? it's fricking amazing!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Guys, I don't think there's value to upgrading the rear to 6.0 vs. keeping 5.25 all around, as lotus_dp observed the rears are just fill. They don't sound decent enough to be anything else unless you put some serious engineering effort into it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Another vote for JL C2's ... 5.25" in the front with Jim's speaker rings and 6.5" in the back and you're all set!

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Personally Speaking,

If you want "decent" quality sound, go for the 5.25" speakers in the front that you like (head to your local car audio dealer and listen as each person's ear is different). Then for the rears, personally speaking I went with Kicker CVT 6.5" subwoofers and a 800 watt amp right behind the passenger seat. For an "Open" air design, these subs do well, however making some speaker boxes for them behind the rear bulk head will result in the best overall sound quality.

The great thing is, you lose no packing space, and the car still "looks" factory. If you choose to go this way, let me know and I will send you the "details" to make it fit nicely.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
My PO did the same - except used the baby JL subs in the rear holes. I only use it at red lights. Tough to get a whole song in. My JL fronts also have discrete surface mounted tweeters, but they are a bit harsh..Is it a bad sign if you have to throw a towel over your tweeters to prevent you from getting a headache? I think it is.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I understand what giant is saying but I do think the rear needs some midrange fill, not just bass. My vote is to put in whatever 5.25" you want, unless you're willing to go high end and install tweeters in places no man has gone before, etc. C2s if it makes you happy. Buy one of the small modular subs to slide in behind the driver seat, and an amp like the Genesis unit to go behind the passenger seat. No loss of space, stock look.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. My goal is to make the vehicle more livable, so I figure any speakers will be better than the two holes back there now. In addition to missing the speakers, the vehicle seems to be missing the mounting plates that are required with the harness bar. These are items #2 and #3 on the following diagram. Any idea were I get these other than a Lotus dealer? Will using these inserts require a shallow-depth speaker?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Zinhead, I don't think you need a shallow depth speaker, but mark my words because I've done it, you can spend almost a grand on top of the line 6.5" separates and it will barely sound any better unless serious audio engineering (e.g. ideally locating tweeters) goes into it.

Edit: I've never seen those inserts before. They may make a little bit of difference.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I did car audio for 12 years. So all I can tell you is bring your own music, pick you speaker size and play your music. Close your eyes and listen as they flip through the different speakers. Buy the ones that sound good to you.

They might be cheap, they might be $$$, but those will have the tone that your ears prefer.

Each company has their own "sound" and it also varies in the companies speaker size

Follow this simple test and you will always be happy with your choice

·
Registered
192 Posts
This will be a dumb question but this whole time I thought the front 2 speakers were the only speakers in the car.

How hard it a new speaker install? The front speakers are clear but lack all bass. Also is it difficult to install an ipod wire? The lack of the ipod wire is my only real gripe with the car.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
IMHO, upgrading the sound in the car is pointless unless you include a sub.

As for the iPod wire, it will depend on your head unit. My car for example came with an iPod connector (which I removed) that plugs into the back in the AI-NET socket. Assuming your head unit supports this or alternately a line-in jack, you can pull the head unit fairly easily, install the wire, then fish it through the dash behind the airbag with some fiddling (and without disassembling the dash). Bring the wire throught he passenger-side cubby and run it under/through the divider onto the aluminum shelf over the passenger/s knees (this is where the factory iPod wire would normally run.)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Any tips or instructions on how to slide out the stock headunit? It has an ipod input listed on the face so I'm assuming its got an input in the rear. I would tell you exactly which headunit it is but the car is at home and I'm at my parents this weekend.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You need head unit removal tools or a pair of thin knives which slide in on either side of the head unit (remove the bezel first). That will disengage the latches and you can pull the head unit right out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts