The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that tomorrow I will replace my dead OEM shifter with a brand new OEM shifter. I took a glance at both YouTube and at the maintenance manuals, and there is nothing about this procedure. Replacing the shift rod, yes; replacing the assembly, no. It may be easy, but if any of you have done this before, I would appreciate pointers. I helped install a ShiftR111 two years ago, but we had instructions for that. There are videos about installing the ShiftR111 as well as the Dolomiti. I took a lot of photos, but expect something to go wrong. And I expect to do it at least twice.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@kfennell Thanks for the suggestion! I was hoping to install this new OEM shifter and then pull it over the winter when the Dolomiti shifter arrives. I wanted to be able to say that this shifter was just barely used when I sold it. By mixing the parts, that claim becomes more awkward.

In your experience, is replacing the assembly significantly more challenging than just replacing the shift lever? The maintenance manual mentions a special tool that is "needed" to install the lever. Not sure how necessary this is, but I imagine I will find out.

Edit: I uncrated the shifter, and you are right: swapping the lever is very easy. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
My shifter broke before Christmas. I had to order the complete assembly since I could not buy just the part I needed. The shop that worked on it just swapped in the new shifter. I know that putting in the new assembly and the shift cables would be fairly time consuming. I'm glad that you were able to do likewise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts