The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

My left front small grill has broken off.

The small screw is still in the clam but how do you get to it since it screws down from the top and the is zero space between the top of the clam and the plastic piece behind it.

Do I have to remove the clam to get at this quarter inch screw?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
mr t

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying!

I am not going to do that for this tiny screw.
I will have to think of something else.

mr t

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am not going to do that for this tiny screw.
I will have to think of something else.

mr t
I wedged a nut with some glue on it above the hole in the fiberglass (with the grill out to be able to reach) and screwed up through the grill instead of down into it. It sort of works. Had to cut the screw to make it the -exact- right length, and reaching through the grill to try to tighten it down isn't really pleasant.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
My grill fell out since the plastic turned brittle around the screw and broke off. I used some putty epoxy to form a new "screw holder" and stuck it back in there while the epoxy was still drying. It's ghetto, but has been holding up for a couple months now. It still wiggles around a bit in there, though.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
If they don't break they get loose. I've not done it but can't you take off the wheel, remove the arch liner, remove the headlight, and create a hole to access this screw?

None of that is very hard to do.

I just happen to have a broken clam over at the body shop. I'll get over there and explore this approach and report back, but will take a couple of days I'm outta town.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I drilled mine through the headlight area. With the headlight off, there was a small drain hole at the bottom of the headlight area on the clam. I just drilled that hole a little larger, until I could get a long screwdriver through and to the screw (same story - the plastic table broke on mine). It was a total pain, but worked. When I put the new one in, rather than a screw I tapped the hole in the grill and used a small bolt.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine's ghetto fabulous with an epoxied on 90 degree bent electrical connector and a zip tie. Ugh. Not a fan of the plastic slats, carbon fiber replacements of same, nor the mesh look.

Anyone ever try fabbing something simple out of alumimum with a black powdercoat for the front three?

I'd be in for something new and interesting up there. The side slats I don't mind because they reminds me of a childhood friend's Dad's 935 DP Slantnose.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FAST 5 MINUTE ELISE SIDE GRILL FIX

Today............ I popped the single torx screw up out of its hole; bought a small thin wall rubbered slotted gromet for the bottom post of the side grill; slid it into the clam slot; then I put a small plastic wire tie through the screw through the upper clam hole into the screw hole on the grill and tighted it securley.

In about 5 mnutes and it is tighter than a ducks ass......... which everyone knows ...... is water tight!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts