The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was hoping that I would have to drill these bolts out when replacing the rotors. Sadly that is not the case. My question is how essential are these bolts really? Can I get by with out these bolts?

·
Registered
841 Posts

Was hoping that I would have to drill these bolts out when replacing the rotors. Sadly that is not the case. My question is how essential are these bolts really? Can I get by with out these bolts?
You don't need them, but with the wheel off and no bolts going through them, the rotor will rotate freely around the hub. The result is that this rotation sometimes makes you spend an extra bit of time lining the bolt holes up between the hub, rotor, and wheel.

I had to drill one of them out, and the extra care and attention I need to align the holes on that wheel is annoying. If I had studs, it wouldn't be a problem.

I put high-temp anti-seize behind the heads of the remaining retention screws and they rotate out much easier now. Loosen and re tighten them every now and then to make sure they aren't corroding.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Either remove them and leave them out, or get new ones and use silver anti-seize on the threads. Your call. They're merely a [in]convenience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've heard the main purpose for these retaining screws is to keep the discs in place as the car moves on the assembly line. Seems reasonable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've heard the main purpose for these retaining screws is to keep the discs in place as the car moves on the assembly line. Seems reasonable.
You are correct. That is the only purpose they serve. Often the entire suspension corner is sub assembled at a different location and shipped to the plant. The rotor banging around during the shipping is bad.

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
So many of the fasteners on my Exige are rusted or seized. The weird thing is, I've never had the slightest trouble with these rotor screws which drive so many owners nuts. (I do put a touch of anti-seize on them). They are a convenience to me, since I use wheel bolts, not studs.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Man do I hate those damn bolts, I've had to drill all 4 of them out of my car at some point. As I have wheel studs I don't have to worry about the rotor shifting. A good Audi friend has a little thing he screws into one of the holes to hold the wheel/rotor while swapping.

Drill out and leave out!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Throw them away. Then before removing the wheels press the brake pedal hard once. This will make the calipers clamp the rotors in place so nothing will move. Works like a charm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts