The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to get it out of the way....... i have read so many threads on how to replace these and I will say now. I was unable to do it.
When i bought my car they were missing. I purchased a set from an local owner to install. I removed the front main grill, the wheel liners, the front belly pan, the tun signals..... which I found some interesting stuff done by either a PO or Wirewheel that rebuilt the car, and at no tine could i figure out how to insert a retaining screw to hold them in. I was about to remove the headlights and then realized that would buy me nothing and it could be the fact I have the sport pack that has the oil cooler shrouds on both sides that cover the screw hole. So I gave up and am about to order a mesh set from GRP. I hate looking at those two big holes....

So I will ask......is there a trick I could not figure out? I was thinking remove the shouds.....didnt see how you could get them out, I thought of cutting the tops off, thought about trying to grind an access hole in the top of the shrouds..... then I just quit and put the car back together

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually tried post #11 with the tie strap but it made the grill sit all weird and the fingers pointed out so it looked all wrong. The next thing I was going to try is some black silicone adheasive on the top tab and below on the finger that goes into th clam slot. I still might.....

·
Less is Better
3,332 Posts
I pulled my grills out to paint them. Yes, it was a big pain.

I removed the marker lights and then you can feel/see the plastic cover that is over the heads of the screws holding the grills in place. Using the screw tails in the little grills for guidance, I marked the location of screw heads in the plastic cover with a awl from the marker light holes. Quadruple check to make sure the location is correct because getting this wrong means you'll be drilling multiple or larger holes.

I then drilled holes in the plastic cover that I knew would be large enough for the screw heads. You have to be very careful and just drill through the plastic and not into the screw. A long bit is your friend.

I then was able to fit a very small ratchet with a screw bit on it into the hole and back the screws out.

After I was done and put the grills back on after painting, I put a little piece of tape over the new holes just to button it all up Lotus-style. I wish I had taken a video of the procedure, I usually do, but much of the work is pretty blind and I was so frustrated with it that I just wanted to get it done.

https://www.lotustalk.com/attachmen...48cd-b3b0-125f9823496e_yxcyhlu5-jpeg.1298025/

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pulled my grills out to paint them. Yes, it was a big pain.

I removed the marker lights and then you can feel/see the plastic cover that is over the heads of the screws holding the grills in place. Using the screw tails in the little grills for guidance, I marked the location of screw heads in the plastic cover with a awl from the marker light holes. Quadruple check to make sure the location is correct because getting this wrong means you'll be drilling multiple or larger holes.

I then drilled holes in the plastic cover that I knew would be large enough for the screw heads. You have to be very careful and just drill through the plastic and not into the screw. A long bit is your friend.

I then was able to fit a very small ratchet with a screw bit on it into the hole and back the screws out.

After I was done and put the grills back on after painting, I put a little piece of tape over the new holes just to button it all up Lotus-style. I wish I had taken a video of the procedure, I usually do, but much of the work is pretty blind and I was so frustrated with it that I just wanted to get it done.

https://www.lotustalk.com/attachmen...48cd-b3b0-125f9823496e_yxcyhlu5-jpeg.1298025/
Ahhhhh you might have something here :unsure: Lot of work to put these little buggers in but not 100% about the mesh install procedure either

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I really think these are Installed while the clamshell is off. I too had a hell of a time trying to replace one of these. Somehow I was barely able to get a thread on the screw by reaching my fingers through. 😬

1 - 6 of 6 Posts