The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done all sorts of reading and no one seems to mention it.
The replacement clutch line, at least from JAE, is too big to go through the grommets in the body.
It's too big to go through the holes even without the grommets. But then again, so is the red hose. You can't even remove it without cutting it, at least on mine, the hose fittings are around 1/2" and the holes are around 3/8".
Access for drilling to enlarge the holes is Lotus, so it doesn't seem like an option.

For those of you who have replaced your red hoses, how did you route the new line?

I've looked a little into just making my own line and putting the slave end on after running the line. The original hose is roughly -4 an. (Red hose is roughly 0.313" OD and 0.180" ID)

Thanks for any input.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,954 Posts
Two methods:

1. enlarge the openings in the frame enough for the fittings to pass through. (Dremel Time!)

2. secure the new hose UNDER the frame (as the newest Esprit power steering hoses are routed)

I've seen it both ways, on cars that have been driven many years/miles.

Reactions: S54Venture

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
752 Posts
My routing, across the front member and down the outside of the tunnel on the right side. It's been so long I can't say why...

·
Registered
604 Posts
That's the way the red hose is routed.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the way the red hose is routed.
Yeah, the red line runs through two grommets in the frame up front, and one in the back next to what I think is the brake line for the rear brakes. Just on the RH side the main tunnel held up by some folded tabs of metal.
I think that bit of edge covering on the frame in the left side of snowrx's photo is just there to protect the clutch line.
I'm going to see how dremelable it is this weekend like carbuff suggested.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I could get to the rear facing hole in the frame t-section, the front not so much. It helps to take the grommets out, put one grommet on the hose, feed it through, then put the 2nd grommet on the hose and install the grommets in the frame. Same process going through the front compartment floor.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For future reference for anyone, at least on my 1987 HCI
The front two grommets
··· 1/2" Hole
··· 1/2" Groove Diameter
··· 3/8" ID
··· 3/32" Groove Width
The rear grommet
··· 1/2" x 3/4" Oval hole
··· 1/2" Groove Diameter
··· 3/8" ID
··· 1/4" Groove Width

Oddly the rear grommet is the same basic size, just deeper, despite the hole being a bigger oval.

The new line is 3/8" OD but the nut on the slave side is 5/8" There's simply no way it's fitting through the stock holes.
If it were small enough it wouldn't be hard to do. I've read on LEW that they tied a string to it to pull it through but there's good enough access it's no big deal

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was considering buying hose and fittings and making my hose on the car. I also considered cutting the hose in half and splicing it in the middle, but gives the chance of a leak.
Dremeling out the holes wouldn't have been a pretty operation, and then I'd have had to wait for grommets.
The only other path at the rear that wouldn't interfere with the belly pans is running through a big hole in the frame. I happened to have some rubber bushings that were nearly prefect for this application.
I had to dremel a little groove in the widest part for it to snap into the frame.
They're probably shock mounts. I would guess they're off a 1997 Ram 1500. But they could be off a 1996 BMW z3, or an Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Upfront there's no real issue, it just has to run under the frame rather than through it. Less than ideal but unless I'm driving through some seriously rough places there shouldn't ever be a problem.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts