The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

So I am having this dilemma:

I recently bought this whole package and I was certain I was gonna put it in.

Now I am having second thoughts since it will change the stock feel of my 07 Exige S. Is this going to affect my resale value? For the better or worse?

I appreciate it if you can weigh in and share your thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I don't think it'll affect resale at all, so long as you don't go cutting stock parts up. Then again you can always return to stock before you sell, just keep all the stock stuff.

Aftermarket parts almost never increase the value at sale time. Some try to say "oh, I've got $20k in aftermarket parts so I want an extra $18k for the car". Yeah, that never works.

It's your car - so long as you don't plan to sell it next month I say do what you want to it. Then again I stopped worrying about this long ago given what I've done to mine...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't agree with the way the pass airbag was removed to install the amp. There are amps that can fit behind the passenger seat in our cars, without doing that kind of surgery and disabling stock safety features. I would go so far as to question the judgement of the guy you're buying from, which is never a good position to be in as a buyer.

It's possible to install very good systems in our cars without taking it very far from stock appearance at all. Those types of things will not reduce the value of your car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha... yeah I won't use the airbag space for the amp. The amp will fit behind the driver seat. This system is a double decker, so I have to attach one of the decks to under the aluminum tray.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Funny, I didn't even think of that but you guys are right. I pull my airbag this winter but as I only have the 6 point belts left my car clearly isn't built for a stereo or street driving ;-)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't agree with the way the pass airbag was removed to install the amp. There are amps that can fit behind the passenger seat in our cars, without doing that kind of surgery and disabling stock safety features. I would go so far as to question the judgement of the guy you're buying from, which is never a good position to be in as a buyer.

It's possible to install very good systems in our cars without taking it very far from stock appearance at all. Those types of things will not reduce the value of your car.

Questioning my judgement? Nice....

I have schroth 6 point race harnesses - So the reason I removed BOTH airbags is that IF they do blow they'll just pop off next to your face and they will never touch you. Airbags can also be extremely dangerous when using helmets (ie tracking etc) so thats another reason not to have them.

Now since the airbags were already gone for another reason I chose to put all the stereo crap under the dash (where it fits nicely and is hidden), which I thought was a pretty innovative solution for amps and wires running everywhere etc.

As for resale value on the exige... If you try to sell the car with the stereo installed you will probably recieve $0 extra, but I'd be suprised if anyone would turn their nose up at a $2,000+ stereo system when purchasing a car and offer less money, but I suppose one could - so if you sell the car just take the stereo out. Problem solved - very simple

·
Registered
341 Posts
Haha... yeah I won't use the airbag space for the amp. The amp will fit behind the driver seat. This system is a double decker, so I have to attach one of the decks to under the aluminum tray.
The unit is technically a single din unit..

the extra control box is to control the DVD player and brain etc of what would traditionally be a double din unit (screen and dvd player functions)...

There is tons of wire they provide with this unit, so if you'd like to move that piece somewhere other than under the dash (remote mount) you can.. for instance behind the seat where you seem to want to put your amp.

However, if you would like to place it under the dash (best place for it) you don't have to make any changes or remove any oem stuff.. you just mount it behind the drivers side speedometer under dash - it hides the wires that way and makes things much shorter and easier to wire

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If you plan to keep the car and are racing it, getting rid of the airbag is fine (assuming you also have race harnesses for the passenger.) If you ever plan to sell it, selling it without the passenger airbag will probably seriously diminish the resale value and/or reduce the number of people who would be interested in purchasing the car. Definitely can mount amps behind the driver seat or in the trunk - no need to muck with the safety gear.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well this sub has to go in the passenger foot well. But it is pretty compact...I will post the installation process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts