The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
fast, not furious
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed that my drivers side upper rear control arm bushing (spherical joint bushing) is now loose. The result is a sound that I have never heard before when slow starting and stop -- KLUNK! After having the wheel off this weekend it is noticeable that it now slides in and out -- the sound coming from the forked end of the control arm are slamming into the top of the wishbone assembly. The dealer does sell just the bushing assembly $56. but, they recommend replacing the whole control arm with new bushings in place $670. Apparently, this is a common problem and there have been several redesigned versions of the complete assembly. Question: has anyone replaced just this bushing set and been a safe/happy money saving driver? It is definitely the easy way out.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Unless the arm isn't holding the bushings and/or spherical joint in place, I don't see why you wouldn't just replace those parts. They're typically pressed into the control arm.

·
fast, not furious
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless the arm isn't holding the bushings and/or spherical joint in place, I don't see why you wouldn't just replace those parts. They're typically pressed into the control arm.
Thanks, as I am reading a few more posts about the subject. It could be that the control arm is cracked and that's why bushing is loose. I haven't looked at up close just yet.

·
Illegal Alien
5,079 Posts
I just noticed that my drivers side upper rear control arm bushing (spherical joint bushing) is now loose. The result is a sound that I have never heard before when slow starting and stop -- KLUNK! After having the wheel off this weekend it is noticeable that it now slides in and out -- the sound coming from the forked end of the control are slamming into the top of the wishbone assembly. The dealer does sell just the bushing assembly $56. but, they recommend replacing the whole control arm with new bushings in place $670. Apparently, this is a common problem and there have been several redesigned versions of the complete assembly. Question: has anyone replaced just this bushing set and been a safe/happy money saving driver? It is definitely the easy way out.
Unless you suspect damage to the arm itself, just replace the outer bushing. The front arms are a different matter, the steering ball joints are factory pressed without replace joints and thus "can not" be field fit, Lotus only sells the complete arm.

·
fast, not furious
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you suspect damage to teh arm itself, just replace the outer bushing. The front arms are a different matter, the steering ball joints are factory pressed without replace joints and thus "can not" be field fit, Lotus only sells the complete arm.
Ok, thanks Julian. I am going to order it and give it a try. It isn't an expensive proposition so it's worth a try. I will post an update. Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
It would very helpful to Evora owners if you can provide a DIY guide in the Evora how-to sub-forum when you tackle this.

Ok, thanks Julian. I am going to order it and give it a try. It isn't an expensive proposition so it's worth a try. I will post an update. Thanks

·
fast, not furious
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated Upper Rear Control Arm Replacement 2011 Evora
After I removed the upper rear control arm it was discovered that a crack formed inside the journal that attaches to the upper hub carrier. Lesson: if the spherical joint has slipped it is very probable that the journal has formed a stress crack. I thought it had just lost its pressure grip and that purchasing a new spherical joint would be the easy way out -- WRONG. I ended purchasing a brand new rear upper control arm complete unit
1st step: jack up and supported rear of car and removed driver side wheel
2nd step: removed wheel well felt cover
3rd step: using a 1/2" driver and metric socket managed to get socket inside small window opening for head bold removal. With flat open-end wrench slip horizontal into spring area come back a little to turn wrench vertical onto nut.
4th step: One ratchet click at a time break bolt grip and click, click, click until bolt is off nut. Same for rear most bolt and nut
5th step: remove hub carrier to upper control arm bolt with heavy torque
Total removal time 1.5 hrs.
6th step: install new upper control arm and coat bolts and nuts with thread lock. Lotus specs torque 63 ft/lbs. and hub bolt 99 ft/lbs. One click at a time! (I found it impossible to torque all thee bolts with my torque wrench that has a large head) Install was very easy overall
Re-Install time was 45 mins Felt wheel well cover 15-20 mins.

Attachments

·
Illegal Alien
5,079 Posts
Updated Upper Rear Control Arm Replacement 2011 Evora
After I removed the upper rear control arm it was discovered that a crack formed inside the journal that attaches to the upper hub carrier. Lesson: if the spherical joint has slipped it is very probable that the journal has formed a stress crack. I thought it had just lost its pressure grip and that purchasing a new spherical joint would be the easy way out -- WRONG. I ended purchasing a brand new rear upper control arm complete unit
1st step: jack up and supported rear of car and removed driver side wheel
2nd step: removed wheel well felt cover
3rd step: using a 1/2" driver and metric socket managed to get socket inside small window opening for head bold removal. With flat open-end wrench slip horizontal into spring area come back a little to turn wrench vertical onto nut.
4th step: One ratchet click at a time break bolt grip and click, click, click until bolt is off nut. Same for rear most bolt and nut
5th step: remove hub carrier to upper control arm bolt with heavy torque
Total removal time 1.5 hrs.
6th step: install new upper control arm and coat bolts and nuts with thread lock. Lotus specs torque 63 ft/lbs. and hub bolt 99 ft/lbs. One click at a time! (I found it impossible to torque all thee bolts with my torque wrench that has a large head) Install was very easy overall
Re-Install time was 45 mins Felt wheel well cover 15-20 mins.
Thanks for the update

1 - 8 of 8 Posts