The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Along with the Exige Cup 260 model that Lotus just announced, the British sports car maker will also debut a new Elise Club Racer at the Frankfurt Auto Show on September 15th.

Based on the 134hp Elise S model, the Elise CR gets plenty of unique features likes an anthracite anodized gear knob and handbrake sleeve, along with the Club Racer "CR" logo embroidered on the headrest. There's even a unique anodized aluminum floor. A small 320mm steering wheel even features an on-center marker to make sure the driver always knows the position of the wheels. Included in the package are a set of anthracite anodized six-spoke aluminum wheels with Yokohama AD07 LTS tires.

The Elise CR will be available in four traditional Lotus colors: Elite Yellow, Carbon Grey, Sky Blue and Old English White. These colors are carried over into the cockpit with a paint-matched transmission tunnel.

Lotus claims the Elise CR can hit 60 mph in 5.7 seconds.

"Special Editions of the award winning Elise have always proved popular with our customers around the world, and I expect the Elise Club Racer to be no different," said Luke Bennett, Director of Lotus Cars. "We have taken color schemes from our past, used on the Elite and Elan in the 1960s and cleverly brought them up to date with a modern feel to the interior. The whole design package is modern with a classic twist, which of course matches the peerless ride and handling of a Lotus and the convertible experience of the Elise perfectly."

There are no plans to offer the Elise CR in the U.S., but it will be available in Europe starting at around 34,500 Euros.

More: Report: Lotus to Debut Elise Club Racer at Frankfurt Auto Show on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Absolutely Pointless! Im happy there are no US plans for this. We need progress not regress!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Absolutely Pointless! Im happy there are no US plans for this. We need progress not regress!
Sounds like an option-package for the Elise S which isn't available in the US anyway, so no surprise that a special edition of it won't be either. I don't see why there would be anything wrong with having a lower tier elise available, I just don't think it would prove that popular. Gas is so cheap in the states, people really don't care about having a smaller engine just for the sake of it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...the 1ZZ mightn't have as much grunt as our federal cars, but it's supposedly very smooth-handling once it gets up to speed, not much need to sacrifice momentum...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Does Lotus not realize these special editions with "color schemes from the past" are disappointing because they are essentially just cosmetic changes? At least give a little performance enhancement from the standard models:(

take a lesson from Porsche such as this 911 Sport Classic (also not available in US) which not only has cosmetic changes, but at least some performance gain (23 hp)...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The steering wheel looks cool in the CR. The seats are similar in concept, from what I can see,to the 260 Exige.

I like it that Lotus is low volume and can do very exclusive limited runs of cars. Jim Clarks, Club Racers, etc. are interesting variations and give the customer a, dare I say it, "unique whip."

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
the floor reminds me of the aluminum mats Ridgemanron had made for his elise in 2005...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
And I thought this was a Lotus enthusiasts forum :rolleyes:
...the 1ZZ mightn't have as much grunt as our federal cars, but it's supposedly very smooth-handling once it gets up to speed, not much need to sacrifice momentum...
As ...m... rightly points out it is a very well respected car in the rest of the world where it is a big seller for Lotus - in Australia I suspect (but don't have exact figures) that is outsells the R by at least 10 - 1 and I know many owners who are delighted with it.

The Elise S is progress - it is the replacement for the base model Elise which used to be rover powered. The 2ZZ-GE version replaced the top spec Elise 111S (156bhp VVC Rover powered) and while the Rover was still available the base model was still sold (with the 122bhp version). With the demise of Rover the 1ZZ-FE was selected as the new engine for the base model.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well, in America, horsepower almost always goes up from one model year to the next, and very rarely goes down. So, it is really a matter of reference point. In comparison to my old 1975 Fiat X1/9 (which had about 75 hp in a 2000+ lb vehicle), this new Elise would seem very powerful. In comparison to the current crop of Elises that were shipped to the USA, not so much.:shrug:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

As ...m... rightly points out it is a very well respected car in the rest of the world where it is a big seller for Lotus - in Australia I suspect (but don't have exact figures) that is outsells the R by at least 10 - 1 and I know many owners who are delighted with it.

The Elise S is progress - it is the replacement for the base model Elise which used to be rover powered. The 2ZZ-GE version replaced the top spec Elise 111S (156bhp VVC Rover powered) and while the Rover was still available the base model was still sold (with the 122bhp version). With the demise of Rover the 1ZZ-FE was selected as the new engine for the base model.
I have no issue with them bringing a lower powered elise here as a less expensive alternative. That was not my point at all.

My point was that I wish the special editions also had some sort of performance increase , not just cosmetic changes - whether it be over the base 1ZZ in a 1ZZ equipped model (such as this), or over a supercharged 2ZZ in a US spec exige.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Well, in America, horsepower almost always goes up from one model year to the next, and very rarely goes down.
Yes - I was pointing out that the Elise S does the same - it is an increase from 122bhp to 134bhp :) - just because the US never got the 122bhp version doesn't make it a downgrade.
I have no issue with them bringing a lower powered elise here as a less expensive alternative. That was not my point at all.

My point was that I wish the special editions also had some sort of performance increase , not just cosmetic changes - whether it be over the base 1ZZ in a 1ZZ equipped model (such as this), or over a supercharged 2ZZ in a US spec exige.
Equally I wasn't arguing with your point of view :) - but I do like the Jim Clarke type 25s ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
34,500 Euros is pretty close to $50,000. That does not compare well to the MSRP of $47,250 for the higher power and better apointed US Elise. Does that include VAT?
You can't compare prices like that - you get ridiculously low prices in the US. In Australia the base Elise S is A$70k (US$56k) :wallbang: - it is however A$25k cheaper than the Elise R (same as Fed Elise). In Europe the Elise R starts at 44k Euro - so again much more expensive than in the US.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
What Aedo says. :up:

The base price of the Elise S (1ZZ, no options) in Germany is € 37,250 while the Elise R (2ZZ, your 'federal' Elise) has a sticker price of € 44,950. Thus some € 34,500 for the Club Racer is a kind of a bargain - provided that you appreciate the colors and all other options. (all prices include 19% VAT).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts