The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I forgot to post this last week. This was in a local paper.

Lotus Elise

Remember “Mission Impossible?”

Agent Jim Phelps would listen to recorded instructions and then the tape would self-destruct in 10 seconds.

That came to mind in test-driving the 2005 Lotus Elise. Once you open the door, you have 10 seconds to slip in and push the starter button or it’s disengaged and requires key fob acrobatics to engage again.

The 10-second act is to discourage anyone from stealing this British two-seater, though any thief who can slip in within 10 seconds should be awarded the vehicle and a get-out-of-jail card.

Elise is a narrow tube (or tub) with a body wrapped around it. It stands a few inches off the ground, roughly the height of a squirrel, but the door sill is a few feet above the ground as a barrier to entry.

It can be done – if you remove the canvas top and jump feet first.

Those who tolerated the ‘60s corvette and being bounced around in the interest of going fast in a really neat-looking car will appreciate Elise.

There are a few other problems: The gas pedal. You can’t see out the side windows that sit above you, and depositing an envelope through the window into a mailbox at the post office is an exercise in futility. We know. We tried.

Elise is powered by a 1.8 liter, 190 h.p. 4 cylinder teamed with a 6 speed manual. Base price: $40,985.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Man, they missed the point totally, they didn't even give us enthusiasts the benefit of 'tolerating' the inconviniences for the drive. Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'll have you know that I sent out over 12 bills today at my local post office in an Elise... Into a blue box that was on a curb and was the EXTRA large box.

so.... :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Perhaps republicans should be driving gas guzzling 12 seater SUV's with W04 (war 04?) stickers in the back windows. Oh wait, they already are!

This article completely misses the point and I shall be hitting cams just as I blow by them.

All in good fun,
Dan

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,682 Posts
No mention of the lack of cupholders?!?!
Or the inability to haul a refridgerator home from Best Buy?!?!?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts