The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are some reputable shops that can build a 2ZZ block and head (sorry if this is a well worn topic)? Basically crate me a motor that I can have a local shop install in my car.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,421 Posts
Several of the vendors on this site offer bare blocks to turn key engines. Price point and power goals might help narrow down the supplier you chose or what product from them you buy. I believe there have also been some recent used complete engines for sale on this site if you want to go that direction.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, Sector111 and BOE offer blocks&heads. But what are people's experience with these? Is MonkeyWrench worth doing business with (I read one horror show thread about them on here at least)?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Right, Sector111 and BOE offer blocks&heads. But what are people's experience with these? Is MonkeyWrench worth doing business with (I read one horror show thread about them on here at least)?
I'm very happy with the block and head I've got from Monkey Wrench. They've always been helpful and I'd gladly buy from them again.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,421 Posts
I haven’t had to replace the engine yet. Don’t forget British Racing Group, they offer the Crosworth engine; not sure if anyone else is too. Toyota could also sell you a stock engine. I’ve also read some of the posts about MWR, but I’m not sure if those are a few instances or the norm, I’m not sure if those issues were related to the actual product or issues from the installation/assembly. There seems to be more posts about upgrades than actual engine replacements and the posts about replacements usually detail the additional upgrades more than the block itself.

Do you have a goal in mind for this engine or is it just a stock replacement?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I've not bought an engine from them, but every I've dealt with MonkeyWrench has been good. They'd be the first ones I'd go to if I needed a short block.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Do you have a goal in mind for this engine or is it just a stock replacement?
Thanks LP, My goal is to replace the stock block and head with a beefier bottom-end for higher boost. Application is mainly street use with a few SCCA type events a year.

The Crosworth block looks appealing. In the sense that there is a high degree of verification and quality assurance in what is delivered. Is anyone here running one?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've not bought an engine from them, but every I've dealt with MonkeyWrench has been good. They'd be the first ones I'd go to if I needed a short block.
This is probably a stupid question, But what are the pro- and cons to short vs long block?

·
Registered
945 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, But what are the pro- and cons to short vs long block?
Short block means just the bottom end (block, sleeves, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, crankshaft). Sometimes a short block even comes without bottom end components (like the oil pump).

Long block generally includes a head, gaskets installed, oil pump installed, etc - just add manifolds, covers, oil pan, and accessories and you're on the road.

Some vendors have different sets of parts included in "short block" v. "long block" but that's the gist of things.

If you're building the bottom end for boost you'll want to build the top end too and hence you'll almost certainly want a long block (unless you're going with different vendors for short block v. head).

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are building for a boosted application, you will see good power gains with MWR or Piper cams, and while you don't need a full long block to switch cams, you would still need to upgrade the valve springs. I chose to go with a built head from MWR to avoid having to deal with adjusting valve clearances. It's not that that is a hard thing to do, but it's tedious and I'd rather pay someone so can focus on other things.

I rotate my purchases through all the vendors that sponsor Lotus Talk, and have had good experiences with each one of them. I don't think you'd go wrong no matter which option you chose.

TurboPhil's Nikasil block's are a great option for the reasons he lists on the BOE website. MWR's Darton sleaves work well too. The only slight advantage to a Darton sleave is they can be completely replaced, but other than that I think Nikasil has the edge (plus can also be repaired, though I'm not familiar with how).

I went the MWR route, but would have no reservations about going with a BOE nikasil block either.

Make sure that you either go with a 10.5:1 compression, or a 9:1 depending on the boost you plan to make.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I sent my complete engine up to BOE and had them do the Nikasil short block setup with lower compression. Also had them install Ferrea valves. I had them then put it all back together. They replaced the head gasket and head bolts and took care of all the timing. They charged $750 for all that labor. I thought it was worth it to have someone who specializes in the engine to do all that work. All I had to do was take it out, ship it, and put it back in.

EDIT: One thing, if you go with BOE be sure to get the address for where the engine should be dropped off. I used the address on their website and the shipper charged me an extra $100 because BOE didn't have any way to unload it at the address provided. I called the shop and they verified that to be true and that that was not the actual "shop" address. Was surprised this wasn't brought up before I sent the engine.

Overall BOE has been great to deal with, just a couple little dings like above. But I attribute it to them having 1000 things going on at any moment and not thinking about the small details.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What are some reputable shops that can build a 2ZZ block and head (sorry if this is a well worn topic)? Basically crate me a motor that I can have a local shop install in my car.
A customer mentioned this thread today, wondering what we actually offer.

We're the only shop that I know of that keeps a large number of machined 2zz heads and blocks in stock and ready to go. We keep several parts combinations of cylinder heads (valve options, spring opions, ported, etc) on the shelf ready to go and can even install cams on the bench, saving customers the trouble and delay of going through the tedious shimming process then ordering shims, waiting for shims, etc.

We keep machined blocks on the shelf so we can assemble short blocks on short notice, usually within a week. These blocks include the super tough Darton iron sleeves so they're really well suited to applications like this where higher power and boost are part of the plan. We also supply sleeved blocks for those who would prefer to do their own engine build.

I get the short vs long block question a lot. We're happy to build either but I recommend the long block. If you get just a short block you are going to trust your local mechanic (who may not specialize in Lotus engines) to tear down your old engine and assemble the used parts to your new block. You're also likely reusing a lot of the valvetrain; upgraded valves and springs are strongly recommended for track applications or for those running higher than stock power levels or engine speeds. A dropped (failed) stock valve makes a heck of a mess.

We do also offer a couple of options for those who want a more conventional build. We'll install stronger high or low compression forged pistons in a new stock short block for you. We even have a complete engine that we call a "Racer Express" that includes mostly brand new OEM parts along with upgraded tougher valvetrain. This is intended for anything from street to track use but because stock pistons are used it is not intended for high boost applications.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for chiming in Matt. Do you guys offer any sort of discount for a long block + tranny (I want my local non-Lotus mechanic to do as little as possible)?

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Thanks LP, My goal is to replace the stock block and head with a beefier bottom-end for higher boost. Application is mainly street use with a few SCCA type events a year.

The Crosworth block looks appealing. In the sense that there is a high degree of verification and quality assurance in what is delivered. Is anyone here running one?
The Crosworth block? You mean Cosworth and I can't believe two people in this thread said Crosworth. Very expensive stuff.

Cosworth.com | Welcome

San

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
So I did heh. I tend to make a habit of misspelling names. Last week it was Greedy. You'll have to forgive me Sam.
Know wearies. Hop ewe fined an ***** bilder fer yer Lottes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a recommendation.

Call up Larry at Endyne. But first, go to Endyn and just read a bit.

These guys are geniuses with engines. Their work is artistry. I've had a race motor with them, and now a rebuild, and I won't let anyone else touch my engine. It's won me a championship, and the rebuild will win my another one (we race on a "big engine" track, the Bahrain F1 circuit). I do the aero and suspension, but that engine is magic.

They've been in NASCAR and NHRA, and they do contract work for the manufacturers in Japan. They remind me of the "Skunkworks" if you are aware of them.

Now, this does depend on what you want to use the engine for....if it is for the road, anyone can do that and give you the stock-ish bhp. But if you want something special, check them out. I swear when I look at their head work, it is just art.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

PS: They are pretty secretive, and rightly so. But Larry runs the operation and he's a magician on 2ZZ's and Honda K20/K24s.

S.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts