The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd suggest a sticky for things to watch out for when people pick up their cars.

Examples:
- How many keys should come with the car... (I got three: two main keys and one master key...I think some mention 4...I have to bug the dealer for it)
- Check the soft top to make sure that it wasn't installed backwards. Found out this morning that my soft top was mounted incorrectly either from the factory or the dealer. Apparently you're supposed to unlatch from the passenger side and roll towards the driver side. To install, it's the opposite. I noticed arrows on the molded plastic yesterday when taking it off. When putting it back on today, I looked for the arrows and noticed that there was no way it would go one with the arrows pointing forward. I reversed the rolled up top and the install was much, much easier...
- Get that owners manual! I left mine at the dealer in all the confusion

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Eko,
I think you'll find it easiest if you roll the top halfway from each side, this gives you two half rolls and looks only slightly more dignified than one roll all the way across, still stows in the bag fine. Remember the mantra "top on from the left, top off from the right"
Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I roll mine from the passenger side across both supports, so I can pull those and store in the trunk as I walk around to finish on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
ekological said:
Check the soft top to make sure that it wasn't installed backwards. Found out this morning that my soft top was mounted incorrectly either from the factory or the dealer. Apparently you're supposed to unlatch from the passenger side and roll towards the driver side. To install, it's the opposite. I noticed arrows on the molded plastic yesterday when taking it off. When putting it back on today, I looked for the arrows and noticed that there was no way it would go one with the arrows pointing forward. I reversed the rolled up top and the install was much, much easier...
It sounds like you put the top on backwards? The arrows are to point forward. It requires a bit of muscle to push the ends down when the top is installed correctly. Also ensure that the channel wire is correctly seated.

I take my soft top on and off regularly and I have never had a leak even in extreme downpours.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Request of taking delivery sticky

Derek said:
It sounds like you put the top on backwards? The arrows are to point forward. It requires a bit of muscle to push the ends down when the top is installed correctly. Also ensure that the channel wire is correctly seated.

I take my soft top on and off regularly and I have never had a leak even in extreme downpours.
Nope. The car came from the dealer with the soft top on. The dealer emphasized unclipping from the passenger on removal and clipping in on the driver side when installing. I always followed that step when putting on/taking off but just never noticed the arrows. Since I always did the top in the same sequence, it had to have been installed backwards when I picked it up. Keep in mind that I only took it off, put it back on about 2 times before I noticed the arrows and noticed that it was mounted incorrectly. I would just want to warn others to check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts