The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a speeding ticket earlier today (a 22349) for driving 90 on a 65mph freeway (I-5 in NorCal). As usual, the traffic was going 75-80, so I wasn't that far from the norm. I sped up a to get in front of some cars in front of me and got caught. This is the first time I've gotten a ticket violation, and I believe it's simply an infraction, not a misdemeanor. Which means that I can simply pay the bail, get points on my driving record, and NOT appear in court.

However, would it be worth it to fight it? I am not sure of the Bail / fee ammount, and am not sure how much a 1-point Infraction on my DMV would affect my Insurance rates, when I eventually decide to get Insurance. Will they even care, since I got the ticker BEFORE I applied for insurance? I know that speeding usually equals 1-point for DMV-record, 3-points for the Insurance companies (most), since they have their own point systems.

Most advice I have read online is to POSTPONE the court date as much as possible, as it might be dropped. Also, if you do eventually have to show, the officer might not showup and I win. However, I am a little confused as to why most people say to postpone the court date, when for me, the court date is not mandatory, and only if I contest. Why does everyone get the opportunity of a court-appearance (which sounds bad) and get to postpone it (which is good!), while I don't even have a court date to postpone? Which means no chance of winning. Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
dont take the points on your record.
also, these tickets are easily avoided to begin with.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm pretty sure that postponing it means you're going to contest the ticket. That's what it means in Texas, anyway.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Take the time posting here about it to do something that will earn the $100 to pay a lawyer to handle it.
:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well not sure if this helps in CA, however, in NJ, you can ask the prosecutor to drop the charge to unsafe driving, which doesn't have any points, though you pay extra for it :wallbang:
You may want to take a local lawyer with you, one who is friendly with the prosecutor.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Fishguy, do you mean easilly avoided or easilly contested in court?
Going out on a limb here, I think he means what he said.....don't drive 90 in a 65.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Get a Lawyer

I have 2 tickets, and a lawyer, so I know something about this...

You should get a lawyer to handle this. Postponing a court date only makes the crime seem irrelevant since it happend so long ago. Its a weak tactic. The officer will still show up as they are PAID TIME AND A HALF to show up for court. The case will NOT be dropped, as you are only allowed a single continuance. If the officer does not show up(on vacation maybe) then it will be thrown out, but this rarely happens. The officer can also ask for a single continuance if he cant make it to court.

If you get a lawyer, the court will most likely give you a plea bargin, and if you take it, you plead no contest. You will pay reduced fine, as your charges will be changed to a lesser crime.

If you simply pay the ticket, Insurance goes up, because crimes associated with a vehicle are posted online.

:shift:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ticket

First, I hope you have insurance or that will get you much more than the ticket-about 200 hrs community service. I got a ticket in Maine in 1979, speeding, did not pay because at the time I lived in New york, PS I go to renew my CA license in January 08' and Cal DMV tells me not till I pay my ticket from Maine! Pay the ticket, go to traffic school if you can!:no:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts