The Lotus Cars Community banner

181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned since I didn't read the whole thread, but I have 2 requests:

1. Seat rake adjustment.
2. The cars' natural state should be with the traction control OFF...with no light. Those who think they need the traction control ON should get the annoying light :).

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would buy a street legal two-eleven here in the usa. Even in this terrible economy I would buy it. Lotus are you listening?

Lotus you don't have to produce a car that appeals to a broader market. (Evora) You just need to federalize what you already produce (Two-eleven) It would cost less to do also.

Sometimes history really does repeat itself. Lotus remember the Super Seven series 4 ? Going into this depression common sense says give 'em what they want not what they need! That's how to be successful in any market. Just look at drugs or alcohol to prove my point. Lotus what your selling here is a state of mind, adrenaline machine, a drug really. I don't want more room I want more sporting equipment.
The answer is: Northern AZ. I just talked to someone at Lotus on how I can get a 211 Euro version with lights installed. It would take me about 10 minutes to pass that thing in Northern AZ. Might have to give the inspector a ride, but that's no problem. No smog, blinkers (can you waive your arms???), and no DOT windshield (bring your goggles..). If they only made a BRG one..:D

·
Registered
879 Posts
Never lose sight of the Lotus core value - performance through lightness. It is the last, sole surviving pure sports car. The conundrum is that it is so enjoyable to drive, that one wants it to function as a grand tourer. As for the various items requested to facilitate this role (cup holders, cruise control, etc...), perhaps they can be made available a la carte at the parts counter to avoid the unwanted items bundled in packages. Mostly, I just want enough luggage space to accommodate his-and-her soft overnight bags AND stowage of the soft top. Keep the passenger seat fixed (I've had zero complaints), keep the Probax relationship going (make it available as a bolt on to us with '05s please!)

MOST IMPORTANTLY, since the cars are inevitably going to be victims of chin rash due to driveway angles, please redesign the front with a sacrificial, easy-to-replace, lower 3-4 inches. Having to have the entire front clam removed and repaired is expensive and it is frustrating to have the car out of service for those 7-10 days.

I just did 12 years in a 66 Jaguar E-type with no A/C or any ventilation whatsoever - I'm NEVER going back. A/C, in spite of the weight is here to stay and I wouldn't have it any other way. As previously noted ad nauseum, a more substantial fan is worth the weight increase. I like the minimalistic controls and also the unified design of the A/C, Recirc, headlight and tripmeter reset buttons - very businesslike.

As for the audio system, as a professional audio engineer, the main weakness is the lack of airspace behind the speakers. This is a perfect place to add lightness! More air, more real bass response. Won't cost you a thing!

I wouldn't mind a carpet delete option on the touring package though. The sidesills look great bare and I'm using the Sector 111 rubber mats in the footwells.

I'm basically enamored with the car as-is. Iconic styling, real provenance, all the excitement of a Ferrari, all the headache of a Miata, pricing to enable the true enthusiasts, enough rough edges to discourage the riffraff.

Having said that, I believe many of the resonances and vibrations could be hunted out and eliminated without any additional weight. I don't mind the odd creaky plastic interior panel, but some of the buzzy resonances are a bit wearying. I imagine two pounds more of foam tape could go a loooooooong way, although I'd prefer a more elegant solution.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Albert, thanks for quoting me:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/228740-post14.html

I thought your post sounded familar. I still think a rear fog lamp for the Elise and exige would be nice.

On the evora, outside of the already announced options and future model expansion, I still think the market segment will still demand a heated seat option and a moonroof. The inability to order a moonroof on the cayman has hurt it's sales since introduction. Just ask any Porsche dealer.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
A heated seat option would be nice for the Elise too for those of us who like to keep the top off as much as possible while driving in the mountains. The heated air isn't quite up to the task on a chilly morning. A heated seat pad is very light and just needs some wires and a switch.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Lotus, we need a smaller interior mirror. The current mirror is too large and blocks forward vision. <...> Make one dash standard for the model instead of different ones for the US and Europe.
Unfortunately federal laws often get in the way. Things like mirrors and tail light configurations have to meet each markets regulations. Same for dashboards - they can be different bacause of different regulations (air bags, etc.).

I still think a rear fog lamp for the Elise and exige would be nice.
Please DON'T. I'm constantly being blinded by poor drivers that don't understand that turning on their "cool" fog lights up front also turns them on in the rear - blinding the driver that is driving behind them with a very bright red light shining in their face. American drivers simply are not used to rear fog lights, and don't understand their usage. Our roads would be much better if they were not included on cars sold in the US.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Tim,

I agree that Americans are clueless when it comes to fog lamps but remember the comment comes from someone who was rear ended by someone who "didn't see" my Elise.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm constantly being blinded by poor drivers that don't understand that turning on their "cool" fog lights up front also turns them on in the rear - blinding the driver that is driving behind them with a very bright red light shining in their face. American drivers simply are not used to rear fog lights, and don't understand their usage. Our roads would be much better if they were not included on cars sold in the US.
Fog light switches most always have two (2) settings. The first is for the front driving lights and the second is for the rear fog light.

I for one wish there were more rear fog lights. When it rains here in Orlando, you can barely see 5 feet in from of you. I had a rear fog on my VW and it definitely came in handy.

A lot of americans don't understand how to use antilock breaks but doesn't mean I don't want them on the car.

...BUT I DO AGREE that most are clueless on the rear fog. I guess I am just assuming that Lotus driver as a whole are smarter :)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Wow, this thread started in 2005.

Dear Lotus,

1. Figure out how to stay alive
2. Reduce your assembly line costs (unions are consuming you)
3. Improve quality control
4. Post your annual profits/losses
5. Stop using Proton parts (AC comes to mind, cheap plastic pop rivets, press fit threads don't work on thin aluminum -- aka diffuser)
6. Improve customer support
7. Don't apply pixie dust to magically increase spec'd engine's rev limit
8. Address obvious problems (fuel starve) with something more than a better glue

It wouldn't take much to make the Exige S (variants) a reliable car and one worthy of actually surviving the track without modifications. And that doesn't mean huge cost increases either. With proper tuning the car can make optimal power at 7800 you don't need to go beyond that - very cheap fix. Redesign the fuel tank and or put in a surge tank with in the fuel tank - $500 fix. Since the AC doesn't work for more than about 20 minutes, just don't include it in the package, make it an option, not a an "option to remove it".

The stock rear wing on Exige is a joke, it flaps around and probably cause more harm than good. Either just NOT have one, or use a real one that is actually fixed to something more solid than hood (which is spring loaded).

Address exhaust heat -- adding more "shielding" isn't helping extract the heat -- air needs to flow OUT -- add fans if necessary, but get the air to FLOW.

These are all pretty cheap fixes that will not add much to the price of the car and make the car 10X more reliable.

Rob.

·
Registered
963 Posts
When I went to the Mercedes Dealership near my house, I saw an SLK and it had this thing called an "AirScarf". It blows warm air on your neck, like a scarf (obviously).

If Lotus drivers wanted to drive in colder weather that might be a nicer option, if it's not copyrighted or something.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
When I went to the Mercedes Dealership near my house, I saw an SLK and it had this thing called an "AirScarf". It blows warm air on your neck, like a scarf (obviously).

If Lotus drivers wanted to drive in colder weather that might be a nicer option, if it's not copyrighted or something.
I've seen them. It seems overly complicated and heavy compared to a few oz. of heating pad. I'd prefer subtle luxuries as opposed to tarting up the car.

That said, it would be fair game for an Evora droptop.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well then heated seats are a nice idea.
And an Evora droptop (softtop or hard) would be great, seeing as how it's one of the best cars ever.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Shaftless Desmo

I have a way to eliminate the cam shaft and valve springs.

Interested? :D

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
We need to start by restructuring the Lotus concept; it’s just plain wrong!!!

We first need to get rid of such a gimmick product line like the Club Racer, the 230, the 240, the Stealth/ Scura those models although very pretty they offer pretty much the same performance and the Europa is a bad attempt at creating a luxury Elise, even Steve wonder can figure that one out!!
Next we need to move all your plants to Japan so that quality control is drastically improve, I buy my bolts at Home Depot or a boat supply house, that’s just wrong!! BTW don’t bet your life on the Evora, Although the British dubbed it car of the year I think this car is going to flop bigger than the Ford Pinto, well I guess I’ll have another picture for the Epic fail thread!! No one in the right mind outside a Lotus fan boy will ever look at a Lotus for comfort plus today’s consumer is way too educated when it comes to spending $80K on a car…..
So this is what I suggest, after moving the plant to Japan, we’re going to build the Exige S with 260 at a price of $72K and the SC Elise with 220 at a price of $52K and the 2/11 for the track and then I see a bright future for you, other wise in the near future Mr. Obama may have to bail you out…… just a thought.

181 - 200 of 217 Posts