The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Stay tuned on this one!
I've gotten used to the fob, but it isn't a very elegant solution. I'll even give up the light in the key, if necessary.

Hey Lotus, please integrate alarm controls into the key and provide a retrofit for your loyal early buyers. But don't turn the key into a Hummer - lightness counts.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
banzai said:
A lot of good suggestions here, but I can't believe I got to the end of the thread so far and nobody mentioned my particular nit pick: a lockable glove box.

Being down south, I drive with the top off most of the time. Every time I stop somewhere Iv'e got to lug wallet, cell phone, sunglasses, radar detector and any other little stuff I can't leave out in plain sight in an open car.

Yes, I can always gather it all up and toss it in the trunk, but that's a real PITA, especially when I forget something is back there and start slinging it all over the place while driving.

I know Shinoo is working on one, so I'll take it any way I can get it.
I was throwing my sunglasses into the trunk, but it's a PITA when you get back into the car and realize that your sunglasses are still in the trunk. Now I tend to carry them in my pocket, but the hard case that protects my expensive Maui Jim's is a bit large for my pocket. Good news is that women think I'm really glad to see them.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Retrofitable factory supercharger, please. :bow:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
- Slightly higher effort, lower travel brake pedal. Not necessarily to improve braking, but just for driving enjoyment
- Engine mods to produce some more torque
- Lotus Sport Parts readily available here in the U.S. Lotus is losing a lot of potential market share to aftermarket companies. Given a choice, I'd almost always take the Lotus designed performance part with warranty over something else.

I understand some or all of these are being addressed, so it's just a matter of waiting. No car is perfect!

- J

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
A rather simple request.

The passenger seat belt has a "child safety seat mode" - pull the seat belt all the way out, and it engages a ratchet. As the seat belt is released, it is pulled back into it's reel, and will not come out (until all the way back in). Basically it turns off the inertial reel portion of the belt and makes it a locking belt - pull it snug, and it stays snug.

Add this to the driver side. It would be wonderful in an autocross, and even for driving on the twisties...

·
Registered
61 Posts
TimMullen said:
A rather simple request.

The passenger seat belt has a "child safety seat mode" - pull the seat belt all the way out, and it engages a ratchet. As the seat belt is released, it is pulled back into it's reel, and will not come out (until all the way back in). Basically it turns off the inertial reel portion of the belt and makes it a locking belt - pull it snug, and it stays snug.

Add this to the driver side. It would be wonderful in an autocross, and even for driving on the twisties...
This is a rare feature on drivers seats. It is much cheaper to install a non-locking retractor seat belt. This is also a bad idea if you want to hit some twisties and lock yourself down. I am a Certified (NHTSA 32 hour course) Child passenger Safety Technician (car seat installer) and this interferes with the workings of the safety systems designed into your car. In the case of a crash you could be seriously hurt. We encounter parents who use this to try to keep their kids in booster seats, and it causes much greater forces on the body as the belt has had some of the "give" removed from the system.
Bobby

·
Registered
274 Posts
***I'm really hoping Lotus pays attention as these suggestions are from real Elise owners/users...who would be the ones to know.
-I am horrified at the number of damaged Elises out there. Low speed, front and rear areas especially. It is so not necessary for this kind of damage. Can't Lotus make the front and rear ends soft so they would deform and pop back into shape? Like most of the other makes out there do these days?
-An integrated fob/key/security thingy
-Less cheep looking dashboard finish, leather?
-Smaller interior mirror
-Sun visors mounted at the rear edge of the windshield frame...then they would actually be usable.
-Couldn't the radiator be mounted vertically and still vented at the top...thereby making room for some front storage?
-Easier to read, brighter (daytime) gauges
-better and louder horn(s), one that actually sounds serious
-The standard stereo and speakers are embarassing, I changed them out immediately
-Lumbar that actually stays inflated
-Metal LOTUS letters on the back of the car
-Easier and quicker on-off for the hard top
-Lockable interior storage bin
-A non-molded-in front license mount area
-Dealer oil changes that don't break the bank
I know some of these have been mentioned, but these are MY suggestions.
Otherwise the car is perfect and a total joy!

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Here's my request for Lotus. There are a great many requests in this thread for things that individually seem reasonable enough, but if taken in sum make it seem that we're asking for a larger, plusher more tricked-out car. If that's where the market takes the mid-level car and the Esprit replacement, fine by me. If Lotus offers some of those options for the Elise, again, fine. But I'd like for there always to be available the bare-bones, spartan, no-nonsense Elise that I love. I have little interest high-quality materials or more comfort, I want low mass, simplest solution stuff. Like the recent review of the S2 Exige said, "Small, tight and angry". Indeed! Give me that.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
andykeck said:
Here's my request for Lotus. There are a great many requests in this thread for things that individually seem reasonable enough, but if taken in sum make it seem that we're asking for a larger, plusher more tricked-out car. If that's where the market takes the mid-level car and the Esprit replacement, fine by me. If Lotus offers some of those options for the Elise, again, fine. But I'd like for there always to be available the bare-bones, spartan, no-nonsense Elise that I love. I have little interest high-quality materials or more comfort, I want low mass, simplest solution stuff. Like the recent review of the S2 Exige said, "Small, tight and angry". Indeed! Give me that.
:up:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What Andykeck said. Don't screw up this car with committees. Committees and focus groups just slowly strangle good ideas. Keep it light, keep it simple, keep the fluff out of it. It's a sportscar dedicated to one pure thought: speed. Let's keep it that way. I don't need cupholders, or accessory jacks, or anything but the drive. Focus on build quality and dealer network. Leave the car how it is.

Cade

·
Registered
253 Posts
More like... this:

"I want a horn here, here, and here.
You can never find a horn when you're mad.
And they should all play `La Cucaracha'."

"All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way.
Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.
Now, at last, I have found it."

·
Registered
594 Posts
How about a passenger seat that moves. Or tilts back a little that can't be too hard. Some people like to recline a little.

I also like ALL of the suggestions:

Glove box a must as I will drive it with the top off ALL the time and hate having to carry a bag to take my stuff with me

AC is a MUST IN FL. I need that option BAD

Seems everything else is in the works... Can't wait to actually OWN mine.

Ryan

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
I took some pieces of velcro (the sharper side) and stuck it to my soft top bag. This stops it from sliding around. Let the glue setup for a little while before going for a g-forced drive.
I've done something similar with a couple of things in my truck. Commercial-strength velcro does a great job.

·
Registered
104 Posts
andykeck said:
I'd second that Andy!

Lotus, go for better quality (I want the new plastic body) keep the current theme (pure,exotic design, simple,handles like no other but faster) and don't go soft!!!

;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
andykeck said:

I'm 100% in agreement. While Lotus would be well advised to broaden their appeal to a greater number of buyers with upmarket offerings and different models, it is essential that they continue to offer an elemental, absolutely no frills sportscar. Lotus occupy a unique position in the market. My only gripe is that they haven't adequately promoted their product. Perhaps that'd be like preaching to the converted though. To soften the Elise excessively (whatever that means) would be to move closer to the mainstream market, and that could be very dangerous. Remember the 90's Elan? The fact is that the sportscar market is becoming overpopulated, what with the Boxster, Z4, TT, S2k, Miata, SLK, Vette and the upcoming Solstice and Sky. Going for a piece of that pie could prove very tough.

41 - 60 of 217 Posts