The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at tech inspections, but saw that a roll-bar was required for all convertibles.

I have a stock elise, and would put the hardtop on for any HPDE, but how does this all work?

sorry if this was asked before, but I am trying to sign up for an event today, and need to find out if I can even participate.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The Elise has an integral roll hoop. You can run top on or top off. Bring your screwdriver and try it both ways. This rule is a non issue for you.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
The rollover protection is marginally better with the hardtop on. It gives some extra support to the windshield and some protection against sinking in soft earth or intrusion of objects.

Combined with the aerodynamic superiority and the improved appearance, I'd say the hardtop is a winner for track.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think he was asking whether the people sponsoring the track day would accept the Elise as a convertible with a roll bar, and the answer is most likely yes. But I know some Porsche (PCA) folks sponsoring DE's are very picky and require a hardtop, on top of the bar. Which makes no sense of course but there it is. Other than that, I think everyone out there recognizes that the Elise has a bar and OK's it to drive-- mostly because everybody likes to see one out there .

·
Less is Better
2,514 Posts
some Porsche (PCA) folks sponsoring DE's are very picky and require a hardtop, on top of the bar. Which makes no sense of course but there it is.
PCA requires that there be a top, it doesn't need to be the hard top, it can be just the convertible up.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes that's the rule, but in practice I've seen a local PCA guy insist that the hardtop be used instead of the soft top. But it's a moot point to what the OP is asking.

·
Less is Better
2,514 Posts
I was looking at tech inspections, but saw that a roll-bar was required for all convertibles.

I have a stock elise, and would put the hardtop on for any HPDE, but how does this all work?

sorry if this was asked before, but I am trying to sign up for an event today, and need to find out if I can even participate.
What organization are you running with?

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
The rollover protection is marginally better with the hardtop on. It gives some extra support to the windshield and some protection against sinking in soft earth or intrusion of objects.

Combined with the aerodynamic superiority and the improved appearance, I'd say the hardtop is a winner for track.
+1 ;)
First track day?
Oh......So much FUN!

Record the event, then post your video here:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120041

Chris

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Less is Better
2,514 Posts
Audi Club NA - NJ Chapter announces Audi Club -NJ and MRF Pocono Twilight Saturday, September 7, 2013 requirements at Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, PA 18334 (0014) - MotorsportReg.com

signed up for this event

Also,

my car is stock except for the oil line recall.

I know toelinks is something i need to do as well, but since i signed up yesterday, I was unable to purchase and install toelinks on such short notice.

any recommendations for me?

I will check the toe links for the pre inspection.
After reading the Audi national club rules, I'm surprised the NJ region will let you run at all. The national club says no convertibles of any kind without a cage and harness. The regional tech sheet does say you need to pass the broomstick test. Have you checked that?

After having been upside-down in a car at a similar event where a roll bar really did save my life, I will say, you will never regret having too much safety equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update on this

I've been running for a few years now, havent had a single issue in any event i've run with (BMW CCA or ACNA)

I've used hardtop every time.

Did end up upgrading the car a little bit with toelink upgrade since and looking into harnesses/seat options now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts