The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
#9 at Gator here. Excited to see what the car will look like on July 6. Confident in Gator's ability to make this work as promised.
Hey Gator, which # was I?

I just found a Rossion for sale, ive been looking for quite a bit, its a bit on the high end. Are you anticipating getting any Rossion's in stock? I know you are a retailer for those as well. The Rossion is my go to incase the Lotus is not all its chalked up to be, however I have a feeling that wont happen.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Interesting. Wondering if perceived demand is so strong that they would like to eliminate noise. This should also prevent artificial demand arising from same person with deposits at multiple stores.
I would think if they wanted to eliminate noise they would up the deposit and make it non refundable. Or Lotus would setup a reservation online site to directly take orders.

Reactions: OliveJuice

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Yeah, I did hear from a couple of stores that they want non-refundable deposits. But almost all are refundable. The deposits would likely become non-refundable by the end of the year when build submission starts. Its not a Lotus policy and I dont think they can command $2500 as non-refundable now. Since they dont have cars to see and test drive, it would be a huge ask.
Very true, at this point we havent even seen the rear hatch open, or gotten into the nitty gritty of the HP specs, not that those bother me, there is just still a lot of unknowns.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Do not place a deposit with galpin
They changed ever they originally stated
And know are stating market mark up on each car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
How much markup?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
I'd tell them to **** off. Glad you aren't giving them business

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
They put it in writing with no fine print when you pay your deposit?
I would wait to see whom is actually behind that username before asking the tough questions. Is it a intern doing PR damage control? A sales associate? The marketing Director? The owner?....talking about the dealership account.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Hi all, brand new member here, been checking this forum religiously ever since the Emira was unveiled lol. I'm in the same boat as well in regards to finding a dealer to place a deposit, one which does not intend to price gouge.

I'm in Orange County and there's actually a dealer here that's only 20mins away. I called them, the receptionist told me to email this lady named Laura, I emailed her asking some basic info and she responded without even touching any of the questions, just told me to fill out an enclosed form to place a $3,000 refundable deposit. I pressed her about whether they'll be charging any ADMs and her response was "I have no information regarding the markup of the vehicle". I think that basically implies that they will be charging some sort of markup...

So it now looks like my choices are either Redwood or Los Gatos. Oh and there's also a dealer in Las Vegas, which is closer to me than the dealers in the Bay area. My main concern is if I buy the car from one of these dealers, how would servicing work? Would I still be able to get it serviced at OC Lotus (or Galpin) without any issues? And then there's the question/issue of shipping the car, or driving it back from those dealers. I would be fine with driving it home, but it probably wouldn't be ideal to put the car through that much stress and mileage during the break-in period?
Shipping is a non issue 99% of the time. It shouldnt be a deciding factor. Ive had PLENTY of high end vehicles shipped over the past 10 or so years with ZERO issues. With the Emira I would have it shipped, but where I am buying it from was where I grew up, so I am going to fly there and then visit with some family for a few days and haul the Emira back myself.

Reactions: GatorMS_Sales

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Unfortunately, don't bother with Eurocar / Lotus of Orange County (CA) if you want MSRP. Leesfer, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I've previously spoken with Laura too, she is the only one handling Lotus sales there. She had originally told me in email that the price would be MSRP. I then put a deposit down last week, and had a nice single digit # on the wait list. I had to cancel it today.

I started to have an uneasy feeling given what happened to me already at Galpin Lotus (Los Angeles). Galpin went from saying MSRP, to a phone call a few days later after my deposit to tell me they were changing that to "MSRP + Market Price Adjustment". So, earlier today I reached Laura & asked her to give me a more solid commitment in writing from a manager, owner, etc. She said she would contact her boss, make sure on it, and get back to me soon.

Within a few hours she called me to let me know that her boss wouldn't do MSRP, and instead it's MSRP plus market adjustment. The adjustment would be based on however the market looks at the time of things being finalized. To me it felt like there was a lack of policy & communication from those above her, and maybe things had changed in the past days since her boss has seen the demand. Who knows. In any case, she apologized and asked if I would like to refund my deposit, which I did.

Sadly this isn't at all surprising for the Los Angeles/OC markets. My Emira will come from elsewhere.
That blows! I was going to buy a Supra a bit before the pandemic, the dealership called me and told me one would be arriving at the dealership in a few days and if I wanted it held. I told them yes hold it for me please. I get a phone call that its currently being detailed and looked over and if I wanted to pop in and check it out, to which I said hell yeah. I get over there and I'm in the maintenance bay looking it over with the salesman and I say lets get the deal done, and he slides in there that the price we discussed over the phone (msrp) had an additional 10k market value added onto it. I stared at him for about 5 seconds and said thanks for wasting my time and left. That vehicle sat in the dealership floor for over a year before it finally sold. I laughed every day I drove by it and saw it sitting there.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Keep in mind some may not want the first editions or they may want the 4 banger and move that allocation to the right.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
I don't think you guys are getting it...

The First Edition badge doesn't matter. Who cares about that? What matters is that the V6 WILL NOT be available after the first year
Uhhh...so your saying that the V6 will ONLY be available for the first year? That just does not make any sense what so ever. Have anything to back those claims up? And the First Edition badge will for sure bring a premium in the future.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Yes, I posted the Goodwood press release article above that states exactly this:

"However, only the ‘First Edition’ range-topping cars will come with the old V6, with a new four-cylinder turbocharged engine joining the line-up and eventually replacing the V6 once those cars are sold."

Here is the link again if you want to read through it: This is the all-new Lotus Emira | GRR

It makes plenty of sense considering Lotus is moving away from ICE and are likely just getting rid of the last v6 motors they have around. Toyota themselves don't even use that V6 anymore outside of extremely specific Asian-market vans.
Thanks for posting that, I must have missed it!

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Lots of new accounts defending some stealerships....hmm. Lots of mis information, but once actual contracts are signed, thats when you will be able to tell the stealerships vice the actual dealerships. Also cant fault them for charging crazy when people with F U type of money dont mind paying the markup.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts

For transperancy here is what I signed when I put in my deposit. It is not a contract.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Lots of new accounts because lotus just announced a new car, that attracts a lot of new people? Manhattan Motorcars is one of the most reputable dealers in the city. Not sure what evidence is being pushed that suggests they’re a stealership. Have not had or seen that in my personal experience
I haven't made any accusations, just from what I have been seeing here. I wont trash talk a dealer unless they have done me wrong. And that's a Lotus Dealership in the south east, not even wanting to bring that drama so I wont mention names. Reputable or not, when there is money to be made, things can shift, not saying that they will, but always a possibility.

Reactions: 142933

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Its a win win either way. Ill either have a new Emira or a 3rd gen Dodge Viper in my garage as a stable mate to the Elise. Either way is a win for me.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Can I put down a deposit with two different dealers? It sounds like Gator is guaranteeing MSRP
If they are refundable deposits, you have nothing to lose by placing multiples, BUT they did require a copy of my ID to be sent to Lotus so it may throw some flags if multiple ID's come back, but I mean if your wife wanted to put her ID up....

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
956 Posts
Gator Lotus has posted here on the forms in WRITTEN documented manner ( on this thread) that they will sell their allocated cars ordered at msrp. Thats good enough for me.
To early adopters and people that reserve. Everyone else is free game, which is fair. I wonder if the courts have upheld a argument due to something written in a forum that someone construed as a binding contract? I find it unlikely, I feel its just a bit over a verbal agreement.

Reactions: kratedisease
1 - 20 of 23 Posts