The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Heads up, I called Lotus Manhattan Motorcars NYCity, and was told that final pricing with a deposit will be based upon and determined by "highest bidder" market demand.
They are my closest dealer. I knew there was a reason I didn't even bother contacting them. Thanks for confirming my instincts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Manhattan Motorcars may not sell you the car at MSRP, but I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to just decide to swallow your deposit because they think they can get away with it. This is just fearmongering.

I’ve never heard of anybody actually losing a deposit at a legitimate dealership. ( except the fraud case at a Porsche dealership a few years ago and my understanding is everybody was made whole in that situation)

So who are all these people worried over the deposit? Nobody, I’ve ever met. It’s more the aggravation of not getting your car. I know people have been claiming there are ” non-refundable deposits” in California. There are definitely a number of people who say otherwise. I’ve even heard there are no “ purchase contracts” technically in CA. In other words, either party can terminate the agreement at anytime until the car is delivered. That certainly would be more akin to my experience although every state is different.

My dealer told me they only sell at MSRP, but even that I would take with a grain of salt. We‘ll see when the car can actually be ordered. At this point these are “ pre-orders”. In any event, my fear of losing the deposit is pretty much zero. If it’s on a credit card even less worry. ( I’ve had my credit card reimburse me thousands for a company the went bankrupt six months after I placed a deposit. They have never not sided with me on any dispute, btw)

·
Registered
170 Posts
View attachment 1293096

For transperancy here is what I signed when I put in my deposit. It is not a contract.
As you mentioned, clearly says it’s not a binding contract, so you have the same situation as everybody else. It’s just some words so two parties have an understanding. Most of life is this way. The paper is more for keeping track of people’s expectations and proof of deposit.

If the market craps out and demand for cars evaporates, pretty sure they’ll be more than a few of us trying to negotiate a discount to MSRP. :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
LOL, all these internet arbitrageurs just doing Gods work like the Vampire Squid. Helping keep the market efficient.

Maybe we should have a thread where the smart money can both complain about ADMs and then pat themselves on the back for making a quick $25k. We can call it “Adventures of the Vampire Cuttlefish” or some such silliness.

At least the dealers will be paying taxes on their new found riches. Pretty sure most flippers aren’t.

Anyway, I‘m just trying to buy a car, not mastermind the universe. I guess I am old fashioned. I think my car is a toy and an expense. It’s not a fashion statement, a status symbol or an investment. Maybe when I’m really rich, it will be an investment, LOL.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You're allowed to address people directly, my man.
Not sure what you mean. I wasn’t referring to you specifically if that is your point. In fact, my micro-rant was probably more a result of some of the stuff I‘ve seen on Porsche forums over the years than this specific thread, but they are all very similar. A lot of people act like ADMs are a venal sin but then love the idea of flipping a car for a profit. It’s like the pot calling the kettle black.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts