The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
507 Posts
Heads up, I called Lotus Manhattan Motorcars NYCity, and was told that final pricing with a deposit will be based upon and determined by "highest bidder" market demand. Meaning, if you are a deposit holder that waited a year or so, when your Car arrives Lotus Manhattan will then let you know what the dealer markup will be. The Stealership disclosed that it may be as high as $25K over window sticker.

This is their position as of July 23rd.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Manhattan motorcars is a ultra high end authorized new car Franchise Stealership for Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Lotus and Rimac.

They are very upfront with their ADM markups. Their clientele pay those markups easily.

I had a feeling they were going to milk the Emira for the most that they can get, but that much over sticker I was surprised.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Not sure who at Manhattan motors cars said that to this forum member. But they told me the car is being offered at MSRP because “Lotus doesn’t have the prestige of other brands like Porsche”

Also, the deposit is refundable until the car is ready to be put into production at which point all the pricing will be disclosed. At that point the depositor can either withdraw or proceed.

I get hating dealerships but what was communicated to me in person at the dealership sounds nothing like what they told that guy on the phone.
I spoke to Nino Zanghi.

He confirmed that if demand is super high when the car lands in their showroom, that they are selling it "at market" and said that that may b e as high as $25K over msrp.

·
Banned
507 Posts
That doesn’t make any sense. As soon as I sign a sales contract for the amount, the sales price can’t change between production and delivery, especially a non refundable amount of money. Manhattan motorcars is a very reputable dealer, the $25k markup if any would be disclosed at time of signing the sales contract

It’s possible they add $25k markup for a car that isn’t preordered by a customer, that they buy themselves depending on demand. But I don’t see any other way they can do that.

I’ll call my sales rep tomorrow and ask
You have a deposit for an Emira. I assume with that deposit, you received some type of signed contract or short written commitment agreement ? If you just gave them the money deposit without anything written, you have NOTHING.

If you have a written agreement to order when allocations are assigned to the dealer and pricing is released to dealers, then I assume at that time you will be informed of the mark up over msrp, if any, and then you will have the option to sign and buy at the agreed adjusted price or decline and receive your deposit back.

Once you order WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT, or a standard legally binding NYS regulated new car SALES CONTRACT, your price cannot be changed.

What did you get in writing from Manhattan motor cars when you gave them your $5,000 ??

·
Banned
507 Posts
Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios, but chill out buddy. I was actually told there would be a $750,000 markup and they want my first born child 🤣
No reason to get emotional. I only posted what I was told by Manhattan motorcars when I inquired to put a deposit with them, thats all. I walked away when I was told what I posted.

The information is for others to decide how to act on that information. Nothing more.

I do not care who buys their Emira from what dealership.

knowing what I posted, just do more research and ask more questions when you speak to the dealer again.

Where you given a written agreement with your deposit ?

·
Banned
507 Posts
Yah but even with your deposit refunded, you now have to go to a different dealer and wait for future allocation..... or otherwise known as,........ going to the back of the line again to start waiting all over again.

no one wants their deposit back after waiting for their chance to order once allocation is assigned to the dealer.

classic bait and switch.

·
Banned
507 Posts
The reason I posted about Manhattan motor car is that when I pressed them for a written agreement for my proposed deposit at msrp, Nino started to wiggle and then finally said they would NOT commit to msrp, and then stated that the "market/demand" will determine if the Emiras will be sold at msrp or over. I was clearly told by Nino that the allocations to order the Emira would be sold at the market rates at the time of ordering commitment , and that deposits are ONLY to have the opportunity to order with their allocations.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Gator Lotus has posted here on the forms in WRITTEN documented manner ( on this thread) that they will sell their preordered allocated cars ordered with a deposit of $1000 at msrp. Thats good enough for me.

post number 21 on this thread

·
Banned
507 Posts
To early adopters and people that reserve. Everyone else is free game, which is fair. I wonder if the courts have upheld a argument due to something written in a forum that someone construed as a binding contract? I find it unlikely, I feel its just a bit over a verbal agreement.

I agree totally, most likely would never hold up in a lawsuit because those terms must be in a signed agreement between both parties, not just a posted policy.

But, regardless, Gator Lotus is putting it in written manner on a Lotus forum as their policy. Thats good enough for me.

Imagine the feedback if they do not honor their policy.....especially as the only dealer starting a thread announcing their policy of selling cars on deposit at msrp and promoting it in their thread soliciting and seeking deposits........ that would be business suicide.

·
Banned
507 Posts
View attachment 1293096

For transperancy here is what I signed when I put in my deposit. It is not a contract.
I suppose things have changed regarding the deposit, since Gators website now states $2500 is the deposit amount .... As it appears that Lotus corporate is requesting this higher amount from all USA dealers as a larger financial commitment in order to assure more concrete committal from prospective buyers and to better gauge the true volume of their necessary production in the UK factory.

No $100 Tesla pickup truck faker/blow money/braggard deposits being accepted with Lotus.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Not sure who at Manhattan motors cars said that to this forum member. But they told me the car is being offered at MSRP because “Lotus doesn’t have the prestige of other brands like Porsche”

Also, the deposit is refundable until the car is ready to be put into production at which point all the pricing will be disclosed. At that point the depositor can either withdraw or proceed.

I get hating dealerships but what was communicated to me in person at the dealership sounds nothing like what they told that guy on the phone.

Please update us after you have clarified your deposit agreement terms with Manhattan motorcars, thanks

·
Banned
507 Posts
I discussed that with Allison, but thanks.
hypothetically, your allowed to buy more than one car, not against the law or any rules......I should have bought two C8's, did not think of it at the time....others bought two C8's and kept one and flipped the other and made $25K.....lots of smart people were getting C8 early allocations and just flipping their 2nd allocation cars,

in early 2020 when the first C8 cars hit the dealers, Ebay had 15 listings of cars that were allocated where buyers that were late bid and bought these extra allocations or cars. People were getting up to $45K over msrp. I was offered $20K over for mine. turned it down.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Things may tank also.....when ( not if) the stock market crashes soon, multiple owners will get stuck with two cars......

can go the other way, bad, also.....

·
Banned
507 Posts
Was it really worth the effort and propitable for an individual who flipped C8 ? If the person is just an individual, not a licensed dealer, then the person has to register C8 and pay the tax, before selling it soon, then after sales, the person need to pay another tax later anout the sales. If the person sold the C8 for $20K over MSRP, the there is not much profit left for the seller after paying all taxes. Is there a way to sell it before even registering & tax? How do they make a reasonable amount of profit if they are not a licensed dealer?
[/QUOTE]

yes, because when the car is delivered, you can assign your ownership to anyone else if you like and they take possession and pay the taxes.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Go ahead and keep your stuff conservative and miss out on all these gains. Im up 25% this quarter and have been for the past year. I was smart enough to move to conservative before the market took its biggest hit a year or so ago, and then moved in when I watched the trends and haven't looked back since. Just have to watch for trends and your money will be mostly safe.

I knew people that lost 80k in one day when the market was going crazy when the pandemic was starting. Ill admit I did move to conservative when Biden took office, and then it kept going up so I moved it back to aggressive

Also I dont think people are using their investments/IRA/TSP/401k to buy these cars and make big purchases. A lot of it is money saved during the pandemic and people are finally being able to spend it on nice toys.

Yes, yes, yes, OK, I got it, understand.......BTW can you manage my funds ? please ? pretty please ?

This is a LOTUS CAR FORUM.......just in case you got off track.....

·
Banned
507 Posts
"We caught up with company boss Matt Windle at last weekend’s Goodwood Festival of Speed, the freshly unveiled Emira being one of the most popular cars at the event. Windle confirmed that the four-cylinder version of the car, using an AMG 2.0-liter engine, will soon be boasting outputs in excess of the hp of the supercharged 3.5-litre Toyota V6, and also that the smaller motor will serve as the basis for a higher performance R version. The V6 engine will ultimately be forced to retire by increasingly stringent European emissions legislation. “We’ve got five years for it,” Windle said, “and we anticipate it will be the most popular engine in the U.S. because of the the ability to order it with a manual gearbox.”

There is a lot of info floating out that is actually coming from Lotus USA and Lotus in the UK.

TWO different dealers told me that the manual may POSSIBLY be difficult to obtain after the launch 1st year cars. Not sure if this is true OR if just a sales tactic to get a deposit for 2022 ASAP by indicating manuals are no longer a possibility after 2022..... seems unlikely to me, since most in USA want a manual, why would Lotus shoot them selves in the foot ? seems like a mild sales pressure tactic to me, but who knows..... BUT I was also told that those who want the dual clutch and automatic V6 will have to wait until late of model year production of 1st year launch and will be the last of production as far as availability in 2022 launch year.

Lotus rep now CONFIRM and state ( in a written interview article) that the 4 cylinder will eventually go up to 416hp as the years progress.

Lotus confirms that V6 will be phased out , but no one is sure when, rep says have access to V6 for 5 more years.

Demand is still unknown. Lotus can easily make 5000 cars per year for world. Originally 600 cars were to be allotted for USA in 2022 and in 2023 USA gets around 1600 cars. Looks like Lotus will add an additional shift to increase production since the demand appears (?) to be higher than initially expected, assuming most do NOT cancel. Most USA cars are being ordered with manual V6.

Gator is stating that they have 80 already on their list and state that Lotus has assured them EVERYONE will get a car that put a deposit for one in 2022, and that Lotus told/assured Gator that they can still continue to take deposits for allocations for 2022. interesting. Naples Lotus ( largest dealer in world by volume 100 Evoras sold per year last few years) state that they have also over 80 on their 1st year list. so looks like most other USA dealers are only getting around 40 cars a year in 2022.

interesting indeed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts