The Lotus Cars Community banner
101 - 120 of 208 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
How many here want the AMG 4 without the manual? I doubt many of the pre-orders are for this version, but I really don't know the real numbers. From the sounds of dealerships I've spoken to the interest in the AMG engine is in the single digits.

From what I understand from some videos (Goodwood in particular) the First Edition is only the V6 anyway
If you look at the Google sheet that @WMBL put together, there's more than a handful (myself included) that are opting for the I4+DCT. I already have a V6 manual Evora, and am not replacing it. Percentage-wise, it might be in the single digits, but I have a feeling it'll even itself out once pricing is revealed.

The Seneca Blue Emira that was in the reveal and at Goodwood is an I4 with the First Edition badge, so I don't believe only the V6s will be considered the only First Editions. I am guessing the whole First Edition moniker will apply to their entire first/second MY, regardless of trim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Seneca Blue Emira that was in the reveal and at Goodwood is an I4 with the First Edition badge
Source on that? I haven't seen anywhere that said that car was an i4...

But the Goodwood article does state specifically that ONLY the First Edition will get the V6 and will eventually be phased out to only have an i4 option.

I think once the order forms are out and people realize that there is only a finite number of V6 models, the whole promise of "MSRP" is going out the window and that promise will then become "MRSP on i4 configurations"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Source on that? I haven't seen anywhere that said that car was an i4...

But the Goodwood article does state specifically that ONLY the First Edition will get the V6 and will eventually be phased out to only have an i4 option.

I think once the order forms are out and people realize that there is only a finite number of V6 models, the whole promise of "MSRP" is going out the window and that promise will then become "MRSP on i4 configurations"
(1:52) First edition badge
(2:34) talk about the I4 on the blue emira
(5:08) v6 Engine bay on the grey

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is just a random YouTuber making that claim. That seems very suspect considering the oil fill on the AMG i4 is on the top of the engine and that oil fill is placed in the exact same location as the V6 model. That could just be a different engine cover placed there... In fact that car is never turned on or driven in any Goodwood video so it likely doesn't even have a motor in it at all.

Anyway, the Goodwood press release explicitly states the V6 will only be in the First Edition and will be phased out.

Whether or not you can get a First Edition with an i4 is a moot point because who cares? The point is the V6 is going to be extremely rare and MSRP promises are going to go out the window.

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is just a random YouTuber making that claim. That seems very suspect considering the oil fill on the AMG i4 is on the top of the engine and that oil fill is placed in the exact same location as the V6 model. That could just be a different engine cover placed there... In fact that car is never turned on or driven in any Goodwood video so it likely doesn't even have a motor in it at all.

Anyway, the Goodwood press release explicitly states the V6 will only be in the First Edition and will be phased out.

Whether or not you can get a First Edition with an i4 is a moot point because who cares? The point is the V6 is going to be extremely rare and MSRP promises are going to go out the window.
Random youtuber? he is from our forum...I guess, but the blue one is the I4 spec and does have the First Edition badge as well. Sorry?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think you guys are getting it...

The First Edition badge doesn't matter. Who cares about that? What matters is that the V6 WILL NOT be available after the first year

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
676 Posts
I don't think you guys are getting it...

The First Edition badge doesn't matter. Who cares about that? What matters is that the V6 WILL NOT be available after the first year
Uhhh...so your saying that the V6 will ONLY be available for the first year? That just does not make any sense what so ever. Have anything to back those claims up? And the First Edition badge will for sure bring a premium in the future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have anything to back those claims up?
Yes, I posted the Goodwood press release article above that states exactly this:

"However, only the ‘First Edition’ range-topping cars will come with the old V6, with a new four-cylinder turbocharged engine joining the line-up and eventually replacing the V6 once those cars are sold."

Here is the link again if you want to read through it: This is the all-new Lotus Emira | GRR

It makes plenty of sense considering Lotus is moving away from ICE and are likely just getting rid of the last v6 motors they have around. Toyota themselves don't even use that V6 anymore outside of extremely specific Asian-market vans.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
That is just a random YouTuber making that claim. That seems very suspect considering the oil fill on the AMG i4 is on the top of the engine and that oil fill is placed in the exact same location as the V6 model.
In case you haven't seen an actual 2GR-FE V6 in a Lotus before, that isn't the oil fill, that's roughly where the coolant overflow tank is.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,213 Posts
In case you haven't seen an actual 2GR-FE V6 in a Lotus before, that isn't the oil fill, that's roughly where the coolant overflow tank is.
Forgive him, he’s new and obviously hasn’t been around lotus long.....at all....if ever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I may be wrong about that being an oil fill, I don't know for sure. It looks a lot like the placement of the oil fill on my 911. You're right that I haven't owned a Lotus before. I've long thought about getting an Exige but ended up going the Porsche route for awhile.

However that doesn't change anything concerning the availability of the V6 being on First Edition cars only.

·
Registered
21 Posts
^ Nice find. I knew that car didn't have an engine. It was way too suspect of a setup. Glad everyone here jumped to dismiss what I had to say because I didn't already own a Lotus, though.

Nice to see that rear hatch opened though, to get an idea of what the space there looks like.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,213 Posts
^ Nice find. I knew that car didn't have an engine. It was way too suspect of a setup. Glad everyone here jumped to dismiss what I had to say because I didn't already own a Lotus, though.
Oh give it a rest buddy. You want us all to bow at your feet or something? Already seeing the people who haven’t ever owned one, already know everything about them. May be my time to just delete my account and enjoy the days that once were, constructive talk about modifications and or performance upgrades and the hard data behind them, seem gone and all the super knowledgeable guys who have contributed a ton and gone out on a limb and done some crazy risky awesome developments. Not how do you install a front license plate and or open the gas cap, from people who have not only never owned one of the 3 e’s, but probably haven’t ever even driven one. Sad.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
253 Posts
I hope a number of these rumors are exactly that: rumors. If Lotus doesn't offer the V6 beyond the first edition and only had the manual for these motors, they're going to lose a LOT of potential sales.

·
Premium Member
2008 Lotus Elise SC and 2007 Porsche GT3
934 Posts
I wouldn’t buy any car from those stealerships trying to markup their allocations. Also, I never buy first year productions. I wait for gremlins to be fixed and buy the car for 10% below MSRP once the car cools off.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
676 Posts
Yes, I posted the Goodwood press release article above that states exactly this:

"However, only the ‘First Edition’ range-topping cars will come with the old V6, with a new four-cylinder turbocharged engine joining the line-up and eventually replacing the V6 once those cars are sold."

Here is the link again if you want to read through it: This is the all-new Lotus Emira | GRR

It makes plenty of sense considering Lotus is moving away from ICE and are likely just getting rid of the last v6 motors they have around. Toyota themselves don't even use that V6 anymore outside of extremely specific Asian-market vans.
Thanks for posting that, I must have missed it!

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
Does the Blue Emira even has an engine in it? Looks like it has batteries.
That's the super-secret, next model year hybrid-throwback 414E version! :ROFLMAO:

It may still have an engine, even with a bunch of batteries in the trunk. Either way though, my point was that the First Edition label might apply to both engine variants, even if the I4 isn't shipping until later next year. The configurator lists both variants, all under the guise of First Edition options. The Goodwood article is also not from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So we won't know for sure until Lotus lets us know.

101 - 120 of 208 Posts