The Lotus Cars Community banner
141 - 160 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Heads up, I called Lotus Manhattan Motorcars NYCity, and was told that final pricing with a deposit will be based upon and determined by "highest bidder" market demand. Meaning, if you are a deposit holder that waited a year or so, when your Car arrives Lotus Manhattan will then let you know what the dealer markup will be. The Stealership disclosed that it may be as high as $25K over window sticker.

This is their position as of July 23rd.
Glad I didn't put my deposit with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Heads up, I called Lotus Manhattan Motorcars NYCity, and was told that final pricing with a deposit will be based upon and determined by "highest bidder" market demand. Meaning, if you are a deposit holder that waited a year or so, when your Car arrives Lotus Manhattan will then let you know what the dealer markup will be. The Stealership disclosed that it may be as high as $25K over window sticker.

Pretty sure they won't be allowed to do that. Get this claim in writing and sending to Lotus HQ

·
Registered
121 Posts

thanks for asking the question directly and sharing the information. I am glad that I did not put my deposit at Manhattan Motorcars. What a stealership.

·
Registered
121 Posts

It looks like Manhattan Motorcars will leverage customers’ deposits and customers’ information in order to get allocation from Lotus, and then make the customers‘ deposits non-refundable at that point, and then put the customers in a situation you pay ADM or you lose the deposits ($5K at least). Just amazing to hear how the stealership works. I saw one member of this forum already put down $5K deposit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Manhattan Motorcars may not sell you the car at MSRP, but I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to just decide to swallow your deposit because they think they can get away with it. This is just fearmongering.

I’ve never heard of anybody actually losing a deposit at a legitimate dealership. ( except the fraud case at a Porsche dealership a few years ago and my understanding is everybody was made whole in that situation)

So who are all these people worried over the deposit? Nobody, I’ve ever met. It’s more the aggravation of not getting your car. I know people have been claiming there are ” non-refundable deposits” in California. There are definitely a number of people who say otherwise. I’ve even heard there are no “ purchase contracts” technically in CA. In other words, either party can terminate the agreement at anytime until the car is delivered. That certainly would be more akin to my experience although every state is different.

My dealer told me they only sell at MSRP, but even that I would take with a grain of salt. We‘ll see when the car can actually be ordered. At this point these are “ pre-orders”. In any event, my fear of losing the deposit is pretty much zero. If it’s on a credit card even less worry. ( I’ve had my credit card reimburse me thousands for a company the went bankrupt six months after I placed a deposit. They have never not sided with me on any dispute, btw)

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
It looks like Manhattan Motorcars will leverage customers’ deposits and customers’ information in order to get allocation from Lotus, and then make the customers‘ deposits non-refundable at that point, and then put the customers in a situation you pay ADM or you lose the deposits ($5K at least). Just amazing to hear how the stealership works. I saw one member of this forum already put down $5K deposit.
If some of the early shenanigans with the Elise recur, they will return the deposit. That frees up a spot in the line, they have no obligation to go to the NEXT in line. Many dealers considered that spot a dealer allocation that they'd slap on a huge market adjustment.

Not all did that, though. I was in line at a couple of dealers, and while not officially in line with a now defunct dealer in NJ, I was in contact with one of the reps. She called me in January 05 saying a car had come, was on the lot, and the person who ordered it decided he couldn't afford it. They told him if they could find a buyer fairly quickly, he'd get his deposit back. She offered it to me at essentially just under MSRP. Sale price was MSRP and they threw in a hardtop. So he got out of the deal, got his money back, and I got my car at MSRP much sooner than I otherwise would've.

The person with the deposit will have his/her money back, will have waited in vain for the year+.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
For many years, I drove BMWs. I purchased 4, 5-series cars from the same dealer and had ordered a 5th. This was just before the dotcom crash, so early 2020, when there was so much money around people would line up at the dealers to place deposits or orders. I suspect only us older folks remember this. In any event, shortly before my ordered car was to arrive, I received a call from my salesperson, to advise me they had made a mistake and the price was going to be a little higher. I figured $25 maybe $50 per month? They wanted another $200. You have to remember what a new car would have cost just over 20 years ago, so this was a pretty big percentage. My contract said that if the dealer could not deliver the car at the stated price, I could break the contract, which I did. The dealer cried no tears, and they never do. It's just business to them. As BMW USA is hq'd in NJ, I actually went there to lodge a complaint. They were very nice and said there was nothing they could do because dealers are independent franchisees. I believe Ferrari had a contract a few years ago that if you bought a car you agreed not to resell it for some period of time? Although there was nothing BMW could do, I have never bought another BMW. (I did go the next day and bought an E55 - which cost even more...).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Manhattan motorcars is a ultra high end authorized new car Franchise Stealership for Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Lotus and Rimac.

They are very upfront with their ADM markups. Their clientele pay those markups easily.

I had a feeling they were going to milk the Emira for the most that they can get, but that much over sticker I was surprised.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Manhattan motorcars is a ultra high end authorized new car Franchise Stealership for Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Lotus and Rimac.

They are very upfront with their ADM markups. Their clientele pay those markups easily.

I had a feeling they were going to milk the Emira for the most that they can get, but that much over sticker I was surprised.
Not sure who at Manhattan motors cars said that to this forum member. But they told me the car is being offered at MSRP because “Lotus doesn’t have the prestige of other brands like Porsche”

Also, the deposit is refundable until the car is ready to be put into production at which point all the pricing will be disclosed. At that point the depositor can either withdraw or proceed.

I get hating dealerships but what was communicated to me in person at the dealership sounds nothing like what they told that guy on the phone.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Not sure who at Manhattan motors cars said that to this forum member. But they told me the car is being offered at MSRP because “Lotus doesn’t have the prestige of other brands like Porsche”

Also, the deposit is refundable until the car is ready to be put into production at which point all the pricing will be disclosed. At that point the depositor can either withdraw or proceed.

I get hating dealerships but what was communicated to me in person at the dealership sounds nothing like what they told that guy on the phone.
I spoke to Nino Zanghi.

He confirmed that if demand is super high when the car lands in their showroom, that they are selling it "at market" and said that that may b e as high as $25K over msrp.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I spoke to Nino Zanghi.

He confirmed that if demand is super high when the car lands in their showroom, that they are selling it "at market" and said that that may b e as high as $25K over msrp.

That doesn’t make any sense. As soon as I sign a sales contract for the amount, the sales price can’t change between production and delivery, especially a non refundable amount of money. Manhattan motorcars is a very reputable dealer, the $25k markup if any would be disclosed at time of signing the sales contract

It’s possible they add $25k markup for a car that isn’t preordered by a customer, that they buy themselves depending on demand. But I don’t see any other way they can do that.

I’ll call my sales rep tomorrow and ask

·
Registered
478 Posts
That doesn’t make any sense. As soon as I sign a sales contract for the amount, the sales price can’t change between production and delivery, especially a non refundable amount of money. Manhattan motorcars is a very reputable dealer, the $25k markup if any would be disclosed at time of signing the sales contract

It’s possible they add $25k markup for a car that isn’t preordered by a customer, that they buy themselves depending on demand. But I don’t see any other way they can do that.

I’ll call my sales rep tomorrow and ask
You have a deposit for an Emira. I assume with that deposit, you received some type of signed contract or short written commitment agreement ? If you just gave them the money deposit without anything written, you have NOTHING.

If you have a written agreement to order when allocations are assigned to the dealer and pricing is released to dealers, then I assume at that time you will be informed of the mark up over msrp, if any, and then you will have the option to sign and buy at the agreed adjusted price or decline and receive your deposit back.

Once you order WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT, or a standard legally binding NYS regulated new car SALES CONTRACT, your price cannot be changed.

What did you get in writing from Manhattan motor cars when you gave them your $5,000 ??

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
874 Posts
Lots of new accounts defending some stealerships....hmm. Lots of mis information, but once actual contracts are signed, thats when you will be able to tell the stealerships vice the actual dealerships. Also cant fault them for charging crazy when people with F U type of money dont mind paying the markup.

Reactions: vcappp

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
874 Posts

For transperancy here is what I signed when I put in my deposit. It is not a contract.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You have a deposit for an Emira. I assume with that deposit, you received some type of signed contract or short written commitment agreement ? If you just gave them the money deposit without anything written, you have NOTHING.

If you have a written agreement to order when allocations are assigned to the dealer and pricing is released to dealers, then I assume at that time you will be informed of the mark up over msrp, if any, and then you will have the option to sign and buy at the agreed adjusted price or decline and receive your deposit back.

Once you order WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT, or a standard legally binding NYS regulated new car SALES CONTRACT, your price cannot be changed.

What did you get in writing from Manhattan motor cars when you gave them your $5,000 ??
Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios, but chill out buddy. I was actually told there would be a $750,000 markup and they want my first born child 🤣

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Lots of new accounts defending some stealerships....hmm. Lots of mis information, but once actual contracts are signed, thats when you will be able to tell the stealerships vice the actual dealerships. Also cant fault them for charging crazy when people with F U type of money dont mind paying the markup.
Lots of new accounts because lotus just announced a new car, that attracts a lot of new people? Manhattan Motorcars is one of the most reputable dealers in the city. Not sure what evidence is being pushed that suggests they’re a stealership. Have not had or seen that in my personal experience

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
874 Posts
Lots of new accounts because lotus just announced a new car, that attracts a lot of new people? Manhattan Motorcars is one of the most reputable dealers in the city. Not sure what evidence is being pushed that suggests they’re a stealership. Have not had or seen that in my personal experience
I haven't made any accusations, just from what I have been seeing here. I wont trash talk a dealer unless they have done me wrong. And that's a Lotus Dealership in the south east, not even wanting to bring that drama so I wont mention names. Reputable or not, when there is money to be made, things can shift, not saying that they will, but always a possibility.

Reactions: 142933
141 - 160 of 208 Posts