The Lotus Cars Community banner
161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I haven't made any accusations, just from what I have been seeing here. I wont trash talk a dealer unless they have done me wrong. And that's a Lotus Dealership in the south east, not even wanting to bring that drama so I wont mention names. Reputable or not, when there is money to be made, things can shift, not saying that they will, but always a possibility.
Agreed. Technically none of us have signed a sales contract, so it’s possible until that is presented to us things change- but that can happen regardless, so once we get the sales agreement was can decide not to move forward.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Manhattan Motorcars may not sell you the car at MSRP, but I’m pretty sure they aren’t going to just decide to swallow your deposit because they think they can get away with it. This is just fearmongering.

I’ve never heard of anybody actually losing a deposit at a legitimate dealership. ( except the fraud case at a Porsche dealership a few years ago and my understanding is everybody was made whole in that situation)

So who are all these people worried over the deposit? Nobody, I’ve ever met. It’s more the aggravation of not getting your car. I know people have been claiming there are ” non-refundable deposits” in California. There are definitely a number of people who say otherwise. I’ve even heard there are no “ purchase contracts” technicallly in CA. In other words, either party cancel terminate the agreement at anytime until the car is delivered. That certainly would be more akin to my experience although every state is different.

My dealer told me they only sell at MSRP, but even that I would take with a grain of salt. We‘ll see when the car can actually be ordered. At this point these are “ pre-orders”. In any event, my fear of losing the deposit is pretty much zero. If it’s on a credit card even less worry. ( I’ve had my credit card reimburse me thousands for a company the went bankrupt six months after I placed a deposit. They have never not sided with me on any dispute, btw)
Even if they return the deposit back, it is too late, the customer lost an opprtunity of getting Emira earlier, after waiting, at that point.

If the customer knew that they will charge ADM, the cutomer would put the deposit somewhere else from the beginning.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not sure who pissed in your Cheerios, but chill out buddy. I was actually told there would be a $750,000 markup and they want my first born child 🤣
No reason to get emotional. I only posted what I was told by Manhattan motorcars when I inquired to put a deposit with them, thats all. I walked away when I was told what I posted.

The information is for others to decide how to act on that information. Nothing more.

I do not care who buys their Emira from what dealership.

knowing what I posted, just do more research and ask more questions when you speak to the dealer again.

Where you given a written agreement with your deposit ?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
No reason to get emotional. I only posted what I was told by Manhattan motorcars when I inquired to put a deposit with them, thats all. I walked away when I was told what I posted.

The information is for others to decide how to act on that information. Nothing more.

I do not care who buys their Emira from what dealership.

knowing what I posted, just do more research and ask more questions when you speak to the dealer again.

Where you given a written agreement with your deposit ?
From what I’ve seen it looks like I signed the same type of pre-order refundable deposit slip. Whether a dealer will actually present MSRP on the sales contract is anyone’s guess.

these dealers saying they are selling for MSRP could be lying just to get deposits and then tell them “things changed” by the time the car is ready to go into production. Until the sales contract is presented to anyone is when we’ll really know.

I was specially told like I mentioned it would be MSRP in the same way as other members were told. I’ll call my rep tomorrow and verify if they’re planning to add a $25K ADM and how I heard about that information for confirmation.

·
Registered
132 Posts
View attachment 1293096

For transperancy here is what I signed when I put in my deposit. It is not a contract.
As you mentioned, clearly says it’s not a binding contract, so you have the same situation as everybody else. It’s just some words so two parties have an understanding. Most of life is this way. The paper is more for keeping track of people’s expectations and proof of deposit.

If the market craps out and demand for cars evaporates, pretty sure they’ll be more than a few of us trying to negotiate a discount to MSRP. :eek:

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
845 Posts
Its a win win either way. Ill either have a new Emira or a 3rd gen Dodge Viper in my garage as a stable mate to the Elise. Either way is a win for me.

·
Registered
2007 Phantom Black Exige S
334 Posts
From what I’ve seen it looks like I signed the same type of pre-order refundable deposit slip. Whether a dealer will actually present MSRP on the sales contract is anyone’s guess.

these dealers saying they are selling for MSRP could be lying just to get deposits and then tell them “things changed” by the time the car is ready to go into production. Until the sales contract is presented to anyone is when we’ll really know.

I was specially told like I mentioned it would be MSRP in the same way as other members were told. I’ll call my rep tomorrow and verify if they’re planning to add a $25K ADM and how I heard about that information for confirmation.
This is common with high demand and/or low production cars with some dealers. Happened a lot with the C8s, but buyers who didn't want to pay the ADM were able to get their refunds back.

Indeed, I experienced the same several years ago when I placed deposit on a Focus RS and expected to pay MSRP. Dealer wanted $10K over and that wasn't happening. Deposit was refunded and I have no idea how much of if they ever sold it. This was apparently quite common for even these lowly cars and I'm convinced the dealer ADM is what killed the RS.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yah but even with your deposit refunded, you now have to go to a different dealer and wait for future allocation..... or otherwise known as,........ going to the back of the line again to start waiting all over again.

no one wants their deposit back after waiting for their chance to order once allocation is assigned to the dealer.

classic bait and switch.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The reason I posted about Manhattan motor car is that when I pressed them for a written agreement for my proposed deposit at msrp, Nino started to wiggle and then finally said they would NOT commit to msrp, and then stated that the "market/demand" will determine if the Emiras will be sold at msrp or over. I was clearly told by Nino that the allocations to order the Emira would be sold at the market rates at the time of ordering commitment , and that deposits are ONLY to have the opportunity to order with their allocations.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The reason I posted about Manhattan motor car is that when I pressed them for a written agreement for my proposed deposit at msrp, Nino started to wiggle and then finally said they would NOT commit to msrp, and then stated that the "market/demand" will determine if the Emiras will be sold at msrp or over. I was clearly told by Nino that the allocations to order the Emira would be sold at the market rates at the time of ordering commitment , and that deposits are ONLY to have the opportunity to order with their allocations.
Which dealership gave you written confirmation that there wouldn’t be an ADM when you placed the order?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for asking the question to the dealer further and sharing the information.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
845 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
845 Posts
Can I put down a deposit with two different dealers? It sounds like Gator is guaranteeing MSRP
If they are refundable deposits, you have nothing to lose by placing multiples, BUT they did require a copy of my ID to be sent to Lotus so it may throw some flags if multiple ID's come back, but I mean if your wife wanted to put her ID up....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Gator Lotus has posted here on the forms in WRITTEN documented manner ( on this thread) that they will sell their preordered allocated cars ordered with a deposit of $1000 at msrp. Thats good enough for me.

post number 21 on this thread

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
845 Posts
Gator Lotus has posted here on the forms in WRITTEN documented manner ( on this thread) that they will sell their allocated cars ordered at msrp. Thats good enough for me.
To early adopters and people that reserve. Everyone else is free game, which is fair. I wonder if the courts have upheld a argument due to something written in a forum that someone construed as a binding contract? I find it unlikely, I feel its just a bit over a verbal agreement.

Reactions: kratedisease

·
Registered
422 Posts
To early adopters and people that reserve. Everyone else is free game, which is fair. I wonder if the courts have upheld a argument due to something written in a forum that someone construed as a binding contract? I find it unlikely, I feel its just a bit over a verbal agreement.

I agree totally, most likely would never hold up in a lawsuit because those terms must be in a signed agreement between both parties, not just a posted policy.

But, regardless, Gator Lotus is putting it in written manner on a Lotus forum as their policy. Thats good enough for me.

Imagine the feedback if they do not honor their policy.....especially as the only dealer starting a thread announcing their policy of selling cars on deposit at msrp and promoting it in their thread soliciting and seeking deposits........ that would be business suicide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone on this thread from the DFW area? I have my deposit down with earth motor cars (ie lotus of Dallas). My sales guy said there won't be a markup. They seem like good people but who knows.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts