The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on how to set the airbag light off my car. The car was damaged in an accident, and airbags were opened. The car was fixed, and we used the airbags from a working car, but the light is still on. The dealer wants to put new airbags and module and will not set the light off unless I spend $1200 on these parts. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Really don't know if it would work, but you could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I could be wrong, but as far as I know the airbag light can only be turned off by using a Lotus scan tool which is typically owned by a Lotus dealer.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I could be wrong, but as far as I know the airbag light can only be turned off by using a Lotus scan tool which is typically owned by a Lotus dealer.
Correct. It takes about a minute to do.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it should take a minute, but they want me to buy new parts worth $1500and replace the used ones that are on the car (came from a working car with no airbag issues), and then charge several more hours of labor, to have it reset.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yes, it should take a minute, but they want me to buy new parts worth $1500and replace the used ones that are on the car (came from a working car with no airbag issues), and then charge several more hours of labor, to have it reset.
I guess they don't want the (possible) liability of turning the light off if you misinstalled the airbags.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may just decide to sell it as a track car. Also not sure if it can pass NJ inpection with the light on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had the same problem with a mercedes slk that the airbags went off & was also able to replace with used airbags. Sent the airbag control module to MyAirbags and they reset the module and no more light, also had unit back in less then a week.:clap: Look them up at myairbags.com they don't list lotus so maybe give them a call first. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
did you have to change the seat belt retracts?i did on my s2000 that i rebuilt.not sure if the lotus retracts are junk after the bags blow or not.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
did you have to change the seat belt retracts?i did on my s2000 that i rebuilt.not sure if the lotus retracts are junk after the bags blow or not.
I agree this could be the culprit

·
Registered
853 Posts
Big Negative, I have had two dealers, honestly try and turn off the light with no success. I drive with a Euro spec wheel and I leave the light on. Thought about the resistor thing but have not has any time. It has been two years now and now I just ignore the tell tale lamp.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's an idea, I will give them a call today.

Had the same problem with a mercedes slk that the airbags went off & was also able to replace with used airbags. Sent the airbag control module to MyAirbags and they reset the module and no more light, also had unit back in less then a week.:clap: Look them up at myairbags.com they don't list lotus so maybe give them a call first. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robert,

I know we are in different states, but were you able to pass inspection with the light on?
Big Negative, I have had two dealers, honestly try and turn off the light with no success. I drive with a Euro spec wheel and I leave the light on. Thought about the resistor thing but have not has any time. It has been two years now and now I just ignore the tell tale lamp.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The quick release hub from Sector uses some resistor or something to defeat the light after the air bag is removed.
The resistor fix will not turn the light off once it's on. The resister fix only prevents the light from coming on in the first place, assuming there is no problem elsewhere in the system and assuming you installed it correctly prior to reconnecting the battery.

Properly resetting the light does not permanently turn it off. If it is reset while there is still something wrong in the system (your lack of an airbag in the steering wheel, or anything else such as the belt retractors) it will immediately come back on.

xtn

·
Registered
580 Posts
Snip the wire on the cluster harness. The system should still work fine (caveat: might not, don't crash) and you'll be rid of the light.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
It appears there are two types of codes stored in the SDM (Sensing & Diagnostic Module), "present" & "historic" that will energize the warning light. The "present" codes can be cleared by disconnecting the battery but the "historic" codes need the "Lotus Scan Tool" to clear them. If the airbags have been activated it is mandatory to replace the SDM.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It appears there are two types of codes stored in the SDM (Sensing & Diagnostic Module), "present" & "historic" that will energize the warning light. The "present" codes can be cleared by disconnecting the battery but the "historic" codes need the "Lotus Scan Tool" to clear them. If the airbags have been activated it is mandatory to replace the SDM.
Cheers,
Michael
thats what i had to do on my s2000.i got a kit from a junk yard.it included the air bags,seat belt retracts.the srs module.that airbag module rebuilder place didnt offer a rebuild for the s2000.once everything was installed the light went out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Does anyone know of the airbag system will properly operate (i.e., the airbags will deploy during a crash) if the airbag light is "on"? More specifically, if you reinstall the components that caused the light to come on, and all the subcomponents are operational, will the system work with the light on?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts