The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2E7E115A-D81B-42DD-8F96-F0A6BB2A0FA3.jpeg
we’ve been delayed but finally got to view our project. Definitely more project than expected but not deterred... yet LOL. The owner bought this from Lotus who were using it to test parts for future model. Definitely will need recommendations for replacing parts. Windscreen is missing but I won’t know the more until I can pull it out. Your opinions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Reactions: StressCraxx

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
looks like someone spent some money on fittings and custom work but mostly that is good for a week or so and then you are going to blow the head off.

Take lots of pics then put all that turbo crap in a box and find the right stuff, you will be happier and wealthier

I have had a +2 for 36 years, and always wanted more power, but a turbo on a twink is not the way to go

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I concur Original owner had Cosworth & Shelby upgrade the engine to 360hp. However I’m concerned the factory drivetrain will blow apart with that much added torque.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I found lotuselan.net joined and posted. Tight budget listens gratefully to all advice

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Tight budget and classic Elan don’t compute. But good luck with your journey! Your right, anything above 200 HP will destroy the drivetrain (If it hasn’t already). You really don’t need more than 150HP with these cars.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I concur Original owner had Cosworth & Shelby upgrade the engine to 360hp. However I’m concerned the factory drivetrain will blow apart with that much added torque.
Uhhh, original owner was sold a bill of goods.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I don't doubt that you have been told a bunch of things about this car, but I seriously doubt there is any factory involvement. Build your own ss lines are unlikely, as is a German fusebox on the wrong side of the car. That turbo would melt through the hood right before the engine blew. Lotus was already building 907 motors in 72, and the twink was not going to meet emissions going forward.

this is some cowboy's dream
Looks like they did nice work, but at half the power you were told it would be stressed.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
@exigegus, I think you are correct here.

@Certified Lotus, can't agree: my Elan had 160 to 180 hp in the twenty yrs I owned it and it was a lot LOT of fun.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Very pleased that you liked it. Contact me when you want or need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts