The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of you, I've tried a whole bunch of different products to "bring the black back" to my faded trim pieces. Nothing really worked very well and I was inspired by @me73 who painted his vents (as others on here have done) and it looked AMAZING. But I didn't really want to go through the effort of sanding, prepping, painting.

After watching some reviews on YouTube about Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer, I decided to give that a try. Initial impressions are that it turned out looking great! I hope that as an aerosol dye it will last a long time, but I'll update this thread in a few months with pics to let you all know.

As someone else pointed out, even when new these trim pieces weren't great looking and always looked more dark grey than black so I think getting them to a rich deep black is even better than OEM.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I just watched your video last night, nice work!

Reactions: chiarov

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just watched your video last night, nice work!
Hah, awesome and thanks for the compliment! Hopefully it helps a few folks out and/or makes people chuckle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like many of you, I've tried a whole bunch of different products to "bring the black back" to my faded trim pieces. Nothing really worked very well and I was inspired by @me73 who painted his vents (as others on here have done) and it looked AMAZING. But I didn't really want to go through the effort of sanding, prepping, painting.

After watching some reviews on YouTube about Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer, I decided to give that a try. Initial impressions are that it turned out looking great! I hope that as an aerosol dye it will last a long time, but I'll update this thread in a few months with pics to let you all know.

As someone else pointed out, even when new these trim pieces weren't great looking and always looked more dark grey than black so I think getting them to a rich deep black is even better than OEM.
The black acrylic plastic parts of most cars can be blackened using peanut oil.
My uncle worked on the team during the war (II that is). This plastic was designed based on peanut oil because the belief was this was the only raw material for plastic production that would be available if Oil shipments stopped.
Put it on a rag, wait 10-20 minutes and wipe off. Holds the color several months. Try it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
@chiarov: what did you do for the large pieces that make up the "smile" in the middle of the front clam? I ordered some of the stuff and will be trying it on my Elise. Did you consider just wiping it on with a cotton ball or rag?

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@jon_bondy Ah ha, you noticed that I didn't mention those in the video! I actually haven't done them yet. Those were the least faded of my black trim so I figured I'd tackle them sometime in the future. But they are pretty easy to remove from the looks of things. I think if you remove the two access panels on the front clam, you can then unbolt them and pull them out really easily.

I'll probably remove them to use the spray on stuff (which I also ran out of) and do them that way.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I pulled the front grill, 3 out of the 4 retaining clips had broken. I designed and printed these replacements:

If you do not have a printer, I believe that @RapidLotus prints and sells these.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for flagging @jon_bondy ! Yes I did break a couple and bought some replacements from RapidLotus, we were going back and forth exchanging a few notes on the design and you're appears to be the OEM configuration. Thanks for sharing that, great to have access to this kind of stuff!

·
Registered
342 Posts
The plastic restoration is all done, and the product @chiarov suggested worked well. I ended up using about 1.5 of the spray cans. I sprayed everything except for the two rear cosmetic grills, which cleaned up fine.

One of the front side mini grills broke right where it attaches to the clam with a screw of some sort. My sense is that replacing one of them is a clam-off repair, which seems all out of proportion. I tried to repair it with both cyanoacrylic and resin, but that only held up for a day or so. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunno if this thread may be helpful? Maybe you can share a picture of where it broke? Also would LOVE to see you results on the plastic restoration!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe if you still have the part that broke, you can glue it? Otherwise, I saw that elise-parts has the replacement grills:

The refreshed trim pieces look great BTW!

I'm nearly out of the Eastwood product and didn't do the ones on the top of my front clam. But it seems it's backordered now. I have a can of SEM trim paint so I may try that.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I attempted to order the part from SJSportsCars.co.uk. Their process is confusing. You "order" the part and then discover that you are actually asking for a quote. That resulted in their saying that the part is not available. So, I imagine there are a lot of web sites that claim to sell the part, but in fact cannot provide it. I just "ordered" the part, again, from EliseParts. We will see how quickly they say that they do not have the part available.

I will try to glue the part; if that fails, I will design and 3D print the part.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts