The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow! That's quite a bargain.

With all the cars getting totaled, riced-out, and/or thrashed to pieces as track toys it's really cool to see one lovingly restored.

No doubt you'll get your investment back in satisfaction!
Thanks much! I am already well on the way!

·
Less is Better
2,477 Posts
Thanks much. I was fortunate to be able to give the car a pretty good inspection and even drive it before purchase. I did miss the bent wishbone but that was an easy fix. According to my alignment guy the car is perfectly straight.

I will probably keep it a 2-3 years and then sell. My old MR2 is pushing 200k miles and I will need a new daily driver soon too. Maybe one car that could suit both? Perhaps an Evora.

The Elise is just so much quicker than my MR2. They are both quite nimble but the Elise is definitely more precise. I enjoy them both quite a lot. The MR2 is very tossable and forgiving, a true joy to push through the corners. Agreed about the comfort level. The MR2 is much nicer on longer trips and rough roads.

I have a bit less than $20,000 in the Lotus at this point (not counting taxes) so I could probably flip it and do ok. All the body work was done by a local fiberglass pro. The car had no exhaust after the manifold. I installed a used cat, new O2 sensors (generic) , a new Stage II exhaust, replaced the missing diffuser, and worn wheel bearings (cheap on RockAuto) all myself. A ton of other miscellaneous fixes myself including new brake pads, wheel center caps, horn, dash LEDs, broken e-brake light switch, etc. Many of the parts were purchased on the forums here.

I had my alignment guy put in the new wishbone and the dealer do the oil cooler line recall and flash the ECU.
I love a good project. Congrats.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Latest upgrades include conversion to 6000K HID headlights and swapping the front parking lights for LEDs. Definitely modernizes the look from the front and are very very bright indeed. I am mildly regretting choosing 6000K over 5000K. They are touch too blue for my taste.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts