The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that HethelSport has these, but in fiberglass; however, I wanted to know if the OEM bumpers have been retrofitted onto older models? I looked up and the down the forum and I didnt see a thread that went anywhere.

·
Vendor
1,214 Posts
We have done it on our previous track car.
The hard plastic radiator ducting needs to be trimmed in the upper corners to allow enough clearance for it to sit properly.
Other than that its a straight bolt on!
With that said we have an extra oem 400 bumper in storage if interested.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wasn’t intending to offend mate, each to their own. In my opinion the S1 bumper is nicely shaped and suits the car, not at all a fan of the 400 bumper. If I was going to go to the effort of changing I don’t see why you wouldn’t go for the 430 bumper which is prob the best if the bunch.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's going to take a lot more than that to offend me lol. I love all versions of the car; however, I never thought the front was aggressive looking enough. For me, all the other bumpers do it: GTE, 400, GT430, etc. 400 happens to be my favorite, I think they used the lines of the car properly and made it look mean.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i'm hoping to get an Evora this year... and I'm torn between the S1 front, GTC (from HethelSport/Win-Ace) and the GT430 front... but I'm sure my final decision will come down to money and time...
S1 front? I've yet to see this one. the GTC as I recall is more of a knock off of a McLaren if I remember correctly? I love the options from HethelSport, but my whole life I've modded cars and used fiberglass bumpers and eventually, I have regretted it. If there was a urethane option, that would have opened me up to other bumpers.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
S1... series 1... the OEM 2010-2014 front end. yes, the GTC is modeled after McLaren.

What is the material of the OEM bumper? I know the GT430 has CF, Elige are fiberglass... isn't the Evora also a fiberglass body as well? or if it's listed as "composite", how does that differ?

I recently put a fiberglass kit on my RX-7... fitting was as annoying as I expected but I have noticed I tend to be as cautious with it as I am with my Exige...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OEM is urethane.

Fiberglass wouldnt be so bad with some of the bumpers I imagine, like the 400 version, anything that meaintaince the clearance defined by OEM, but I bet the GTE bumper would scrape.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I was worried about the GTE front bumper scraping when I installed mine back in '16. I remember measuring approach angles of the S1 bumper and Hethel's GTE bumper and if I remember right, the GTE was about the same clearance. It was deceiving because the GTE projects further out, but it also angles up some (see the photos below taken at a low angle for reference). Although, unless you bend down to look you do not see the clearance.

For extra precaution, I added some polycarbonate protection underneath on the GTE. However, I have only scraped once in 3 years and it was so light that it didn't even leave a mark on the polycarbonate panel. I always keep it in the back of my mind as I enter/leave a driveway, but its really been a non-issue for me.

And, on a side note, fitment of the fiberglass GTE bumper was very good straight out of the crate with only very minor adjustments. To be honest, I've seen factory installed OEM bumpers that were aligned worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
i changed my rear bumper and wing to the 400 which I love but I am in the minority and like the front smiley face. The front can be changed but does require some work and I believe the clam must be removed but I am not a body shop so I may be wrong

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was worried about the GTE front bumper scraping when I installed mine back in '16. I remember measuring approach angles of the S1 bumper and Hethel's GTE bumper and if I remember right, the GTE was about the same clearance. It was deceiving because the GTE projects further out, but it also angles up some (see the photos below taken at a low angle for reference). Although, unless you bend down to look you do not see the clearance.

For extra precaution, I added some polycarbonate protection underneath on the GTE. However, I have only scraped once in 3 years and it was so light that it didn't even leave a mark on the polycarbonate panel. I always keep it in the back of my mind as I enter/leave a driveway, but its really been a non-issue for me.

And, on a side note, fitment of the fiberglass GTE bumper was very good straight out of the crate with only very minor adjustments. To be honest, I've seen factory installed OEM bumpers that were aligned worse.

View attachment 1257876

View attachment 1257879
Awesome info to share, thanks for jumping in.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
i changed my rear bumper and wing to the 400 which I love but I am in the minority and like the front smiley face. The front can be changed but does require some work and I believe the clam must be removed but I am not a body shop so I may be wrong
The clam can remain in place for front bumper install.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
218 Posts
The story with the GTC bumper: When I saw it in person, I was floored--it was just stunning. It was originally going to be limited to a couple units for a friend because the designer though it deviated too much from the Evora and the influence from that other British marque would be seen as sacrilege by the Lotus faithful. It took a bit of convincing but we agreed to do a soft launch and initially offer it without any promotion. What I discovered was that Evora owners are a very accepting group... some people love it while other people prefer our other bumpers or the stock one... but it's pretty universal that Evora owners welcome the notion that everyone has different tastes and it's-all-good.

In fact--and I'll bury this in the 20th post of a thread so it doesn't seem like I'm pandering too much--Evora owners really seem like the best car folks around--they understand (or at least accommodate) the hurdles that we go through to import or bring products to the market, they kindly help us when we need input, and if we make a mistake, they willingly give us a chance to make it right. And in turn, HethelSport is really fun for me. --Sherman

1 - 20 of 20 Posts