The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I just want to say, it is great to be back. You see, it was about a year ago that my sports car journey culminated in the arrival of a 2013 Evora S IPS. Like many of you, I came to Lotus after many years of P-car ownership. Prior to marriage and children, I enjoyed occasional track days, time trials and autocross. I have had my share of 964s, 993s, water cooled turbos and more recently a Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. The R was my favorite. But with a growing family I was looking for something a little more practical, and wouldn't you know it, I could rationalize that the Evora platform would do the trick. And so after considerable investigation, I found myself behind the wheel of both NA and S variants. It took about, I don't know, 1000 meters for me to realize that the Lotus engineers did chassis/suspension like no one else. I was hooked.

The spring/summer of 2013 was made all the more enjoyable with a Lotus in my garage. It was, quite simply, the most impressive car I had ever had the fortune to pilot. Every drive, and I mean every drive, was a delight. My ownership experience was without drama or frustration. The car was dependable. My dealer was world class. My young son loved it. And my beloved wife didn't complain. The world was a beautiful place.

In the fall, my son started school about 9 miles away from our home. In an urban area. Without secure parking. My routine involved nearly daily afternoon pick-ups with the joys of parking on city streets. I love my son. His education is one of my clear priorities. Sacrifices must be made. We enjoyed the Lotus and it served adequately in school bus duty through the fall. But as the New England winter approached and I began to think about preparing the car for the elements, I was overcome by a sense of guilt. The realities of my family and professional life seemed to be at increasing odds with my passion for driving. After a lot of reflection I made the decision to part with the Evora and find something with more doors. This was easier said then done. But to make a long story somewhat shorter, it became clear that something with ground clearance, dependable winter traction and interior space was needed. I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. It checked all the boxes, including guzzling fuel at a prodigious pace. And it was a peach all winter.

Of course I was melancholy on the day I parted with the Lotus. But I had my reasons and was at peace. But the inevitable happened. Spring. Flowers. Roads cleared of sand and salt. But still an abundance of pot holes. Nonetheless, I carried on in the Jeep. The thoughts started innocently enough. Hmmm. Maybe I could manage to organize our family's car fleet/garage space and find myself with one more set of sporty wheels. An old 964? 993 perhaps? Yikes- what happened to the used market- I wish all of my investments were growing at such rates! I wonder if anyone snatched up my old Lotus. Wow. Its still available. And I know who broke it in! And, relatively speaking, its not THAT much more money than a 24 year old 911. I looked broadly in the beginning. I drove new 991s and 981s. Snooze. I drove a Boxster Spyder. Better. But impractical. And then my dealer drove 100 miles to see me in my former Lotus. It took one brief drive on a clear spring evening to rekindle the flame.

Reunited. In part due to the patience of my angel wife, in part due to the sensitivity and creativity of my dealer and in part because life is short and sometimes the best decisions are the ones we get to do over again and get right. Maybe those are the ones we appreciate the most. All I know is that I am thrilled to have my Lotus back where it belongs. And I can't wait for the next drive. Thanks as well to all of the participants of this great forum. It has been a source of automotive medicine for me in my sports car nadir period. It's great to be back.

Wishing you all curvy roads and no traffic ahead!

Cheers,
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
:confused::confused:Lucky I thought that was yours:confused::confused:
It was on my list but i found my S on the left coast so all ends up well back in your hands. This time just say NO when fall rolls around. Rent a garage etc... don't let her go!:bow:

Which Steve drove it up to you. Steve L. or Steve S.??

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
Very good.

Shouldn't you mention the excellent dealer's name??

(sorry if I missed it...)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes indeed

Very good.

Shouldn't you mention the excellent dealer's name??

(sorry if I missed it...)
apologies for leaving this off. Secor Lotus in New London CT. Steve Plona is perhaps the most professional, transparent and honorable dealer I have ever worked with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw...

:confused::confused:Lucky I thought that was yours:confused::confused:
It was on my list but i found my S on the left coast so all ends up well back in your hands. This time just say NO when fall rolls around. Rent a garage etc... don't let her go!:bow:

Which Steve drove it up to you. Steve L. or Steve S.??
BRG- I heard from Secor that they are engaged with folks at Thompson Speedway and some events may be forthcoming. Curious if you have had any exposure to Thompson. And congrats on your new S!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
RMB - amazing how it came back - you are thanking us and i want to say thank you as one of the great input parties to my decision to take the leap.

it has so much more life than some of the other cars - so true and too bad more of the guys driving them wouldn't just try!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Nice story, welcome back.

When I lived in Boston for 4 years 07-2011, my building garage (1 Beacon) and State Street parking garage, and daily driven Orange Gallardo, GTR, and one Reventon.

ALl were driven through winter/summer. Was interesting for me to see filthy supercars, since I am from LA, land of, "we don't take our sports cars if threat of rain, as we don't get them dirty"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx and congrats

RMB - amazing how it came back - you are thanking us and i want to say thank you as one of the great input parties to my decision to take the leap.

it has so much more life than some of the other cars - so true and too bad more of the guys driving them wouldn't just try!
Couldn't agree more. Its amazing how clear the difference was between the Evora and various 991/981/987s once I got back behind the wheel. At the end of the day it was this car or no sports car. And I'm so pleased that you have secured and are enjoying yours. I'm touched that you remembered my input from months ago. Indeed this is a special place, and these are special cars. Lucky us.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice story, welcome back.

When I lived in Boston for 4 years 07-2011, my building garage (1 Beacon) and State Street parking garage, and daily driven Orange Gallardo, GTR, and one Reventon.

ALl were driven through winter/summer. Was interesting for me to see filthy supercars, since I am from LA, land of, "we don't take our sports cars if threat of rain, as we don't get them dirty"
If it wasn't for the inept ability of the city of Cambridge to remove snow and enable winter curbside parking, I probably wouldn't have parted with the car in the first place. But now I am prepared and organized for 12 month a year transportation, with family and without.

I used to live near LA. I know the situation. I do miss Mulholland and the snake... Lotus country for sure.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Your car is gorgeous and so way cool how the red/red plays off the calipers. Congratulations!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your car is gorgeous and so way cool how the red/red plays off the calipers. Congratulations!

The car came from the port with diamond cuts. I had them swapped for black wheels upon delivery. All of sudden the calipers emerged. I'm a fan of black wheels. Plus- hides the dirt and brake dust ?. Thx for the kind words.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
795 Posts
The car came from the port with diamond cuts. I had them swapped for black wheels upon delivery. All of sudden the calipers emerged. I'm a fan of black wheels. Plus- hides the dirt and brake dust ?. Thx for the kind words.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That was the perfect choice, those wheels. Gave the car pop. You can leave it as is or go Sports Racer. Great looking car. I'd go red if I did this car all over.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
It is a beauty. Might eventually look for some black 18/19's forged and trade for my diamond cuts. Won't bother reshoeing with the Corsas for street anyway as they kinda suck below 50 degrees!

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Wow, pretty lucky it was still available.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Sure is. One of the very few times I've seen colored calipers that don't draw the eye away from the lines of the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts