The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I need some serious help and advice.
The problem with our Evora S is that the rev won’t go beyond 5,000rpm (feels like hitting the rev limiter with accelerator pedal fully pressed down), normally in ‘Sports’ mode you can happily rev up to 7,200rpm. So has anyone experienced this before and how to solve this problem?
Even the boost is down, normally it’s 0.5 bar but now it’s 0.2 bar.
We did a OBD test and nothing showing up with errors?!?!
We've had the ECU reflashed and it’s still the same. Therefore we have a feeling that it’s not software related since with or without the ECU tune it’s the same result.
There wasn't any knocking too, smooth acceleration up to 5,000rpm and then stuck there….
We have done a bit of hardware mods to the car:
Upgraded the pistons, so bore is now 94mm
Compression 12.5:1
Conrod is H-beam
Injectors 525cc x 6 at fuel pressure 6 bar
Larini full exhaust system (ex manifold, cat back, muffler)
Lotus sport fuel rail
Spark plug heat range 7
Port polish the value inlets
Everything else is stock

Can anyone help us, it’s really frustrating and we have a race coming up soon too…

Thanks everyone for taking the time in reading this and helping out…

·
Registered
256 Posts
U R in limp mode

Don't know much about the Evora's ECU, but had a similar thing happen to me in my '05 Elise many moons ago. The ECU suddenly shifted into safe (limp) mode. Had the dealer re-flash the unit and problem never occurred again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My guess is that the ECU is putting the car in limp mode. Are you running a stock tune with those mods you have listed?

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
You can't run larger pistons. Higher compression and larger injectors on the stock ECU flash.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Two other options
1) A VVT-cable is disconnected (or connector loose), that wil make the engine go into Limp mode
2) The MAF is dirty or defect.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Know zip about Evoras, but on the Elise this was often caused by a blown engine mgmt fuse.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My guess is without standalone or fast works it is not going to work

·
Registered
216 Posts
As Julian and Invictusmaneo have mentioned I think it is the tune. Your setup is probably tripping the ECU to keep the engine "safe".

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
I too sense parts being thrown in a motor without an upgrade to the ECU? WTF!:facepalm

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I'm guessing that by running the stock tune you may have caused other issues. I know that dealers have a very different scanning tool than your average one we use. There might be some unregistered codes in there that you can't see. Call phil at BOE and see if he has a tune for that kind of setup. If not you have to start logging and send it to him so he can make a custom tune for the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we've done some experiments and found out it was the fuel regulator... when we reduce the fuel pressure from 6 bar down to 3.5 bar, we could rev up to 6,000 rpm and increased boost from 0.2 to 0.4 bar.
we've got a flash tune on the car, but we tried resting the ecu back to stock to find out if it is related to ecu, and both had the same result. because both set ups had too much fuel (too rich) causing it to cap at 5,000 rpm...
we'll try lowering the fuel pressure again to see if it will go back to normal rpm... and probably clean all sensors since they will probably be dirty from too rich fuel...
We have factory OBD and they are not picking up any faults...
hopefully it's just adjusting the fuel regulator...
BOE said it's too new to tune our T6e with the parts we added, and said they don't have the experience to fully utilize T6e ecu yet...

·
Illegal Alien
5,357 Posts
Did I miss something, you talk of adjusting boost, 0.2 to 0.4, 0.5 bar. Are you using a turbocharger? OEM is a low pressure SC at some 0.3 max boost. While Bypass valve opens at 0.5 bar, don't see the 1320 pumping that much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts