The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting thing happened on a 250 mile drive through the mountain twisties last Sunday. After taking a particularly long and tight turn very fast(can't remember if it was a right or a left), the rev limiter came in just prior to the second cam switchover, prompting a quizzical 'What the Hell' to emanate from my lips.

I'm wondering if there was momentary oil starvation caused by the oil being forced to one side of the sump, beyond the pickup's reach, thus causing the ECU to shut down the second cam range, forcing an inspection. I looked it up in the manual, found nothing that indicated this would happen. I read an earlier post on this forum that said there was a fuse for the VVTL-i system, so I decided to inspect that. I pulled the fuse, but before I could see it's status I dropped it behind the engine. D'OH!:eek:

Fortunately, the am/pm mini mart had the right fuse, so I popped it in and was on my way, VVTL-i now operating normally. I won't see that fuse until my next oil change, so I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Is the sump in this engine not baffled? This would have to be a major issue for track cars.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe your engine temperature dropped below the threshold where the second cam is enabled?
No way, I doubt that's even possible without shutting off the engine. No, I had been giving it some real stick for the prior 2 hours, nothing but 90mph Interstate and rural twisties.:shift: Temp was above 185°F the whole time.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
If it was a left hand corner and you were not running a full tank of fuel you could have just hit fuel slosh problem. I don't know if the stock ECU monitors fuel pressure (or for that matter if there is a fuel pressure sensor) -- fuel slosh problem has caused many motor deaths for track junkies (at least the FI ones).

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...mehve's thermostat is stuck wide-open, and it's not at all uncommon for her temperature to suddenly drop low enough to lose the second cam during high-speed bursts while canyon carving...

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
OP suggested this happened in a long corner, I wouldn't think a Thermostat would cause this during cornering only unless it was just a coincidence?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Charlie, isn't that related to the 6k cut off that needed a re-flash?

I know I had this 6k cut off happening to me quite often on the track and a couple of times on the street.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Or, it could just be a fluke.

A lot of us (even those with '05s) have had a momentary 6,000 RPM rev limit. I happened to me, once for no reason - I wasn't even cornering at the time, just moving away from a red light briskly. I parked the car at the store I was heading to, and it never happened again. Other's have had similar experiences - one fluky occurrence and never again. :shrug:

It could also be a lose connection of the battery or the battery adapter to cable joint next to the battery that caused a momentary electrical fault. Or it could have just be that your engine is about to blow up. :shrug:

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
+1 Happened to me, but only manifested itself after start up, not during driving after things were normal
Or, it could just be a fluke.

A lot of us (even those with '05s) have had a momentary 6,000 RPM rev limit. I happened to me, once for no reason - I wasn't even cornering at the time, just moving away from a red light briskly. I parked the car at the store I was heading to, and it never happened again. Other's have had similar experiences - one fluky occurrence and never again. :shrug:

It could also be a lose connection of the battery or the battery adapter to cable joint next to the battery that caused a momentary electrical fault. Or it could have just be that your engine is about to blow up. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
A dirty air filter can also cause the rev limiter to come on prematurely. It is more likely to happen at near WOT initially, then as the filter gets more dirty, it becomes more common.

·
Registered
557 Posts
There's a fuse for the VVTI solenoid? That might explain a lot. Where's it hiding?

I just got back from a trip, and my roommate came in and told me my car died when he went to put gas in it (he drove it while I was gone). Jumped the car, and now I have a soft limiter at 6200. Sounds like something popped when it jumpstarted to me... No good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.