The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums, but didn't find an easy answer.

For those of you running a BOE REV300/400, what kind of MPG are you getting in street driving?

I was getting low 20's on my stock motor and a discussion with Phil about the size of the new injectors made me curious.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
The fuel required to cruise around town is essentially the same as when the car was NA. However, every time you give the throttle any push, the power delivered is much greater than it was NA, so the fuel consumption is much greater as well. You essentially will have the same accelleration times in 5th gear as you did in 3rd. That doesn't come for free you know! ;)

The injectors in the 300 kit are carried over to the 400 and are designed to run in excess of 400whp. The idea is that as you move up the power levels, you don't have to keep buying larger injectors...

-Phil

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the Rev 300 with Kold-Fire flash = 20 - 26 mpg.

Wonder if the new custom flash Phil has now (BOE Fastworks) will do any better for the MPG vs. Kold-Fire?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Elise was getting mid 20's with REV300 and KF tune

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
See... I know where you are going with this...and I submit the question you should be asking is..."How is your mileage when you find it impossible to stay out of the boost?"
Answer - at that particular moment, you don't care.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I've never checked my mpg in any vehicle I've owned. I didn't buy them for mpg, I bought them for performance. I'll never own a Prius/whatever ugly vehicle that sips fuel you want to insert here.

San

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I'm getting around 20 with my Rev400 setup where I was getting about 30 before (for just easy/normal street driving). Phil is right when he says part of the problem is the power is so tempting you can't keep your foot out of it. That said I did make myself grandpa drive it for a tank just to see and that's when I got 20. I've gotten 36 out of a tank on my old NA setup by hypermiling it like crazy (just to see).

It is a noticeable difference for sure but then again so is 3x the power.

Me hopes you are just curious and don't really care, if you've gone Rev300+ MPG should be the last thing on your mind!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never checked my mpg in any vehicle I've owned. I didn't buy them for mpg, I bought them for performance. I'll never own a Prius/whatever ugly vehicle that sips fuel you want to insert here.

San
Wow. How do you fit that much testosterone into a little tiny Lotus?

My question was one of curiosity, not concern. Thank goodness I didn't ask for 0-60 times.

;)

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Wow. How do you fit that much testosterone into a little tiny Lotus?

My question was one of curiosity, not concern. Thank goodness I didn't ask for 0-60 times.

;)
My little tiny Lotus makes 281 rwhp on the stock supercharger. For now it's adequate. I have other toys that are faster.

It always cracks me up when people ask about fuel economy when discussing performance cars.

San

·
Registered
98 Posts
Some people use these performance cars for daily drivers. People ask me all the time why I drive the Exige so much. I just say my truck gets 13 mpg. Seems like an easy choice.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Some people use these performance cars for daily drivers. People ask me all the time why I drive the Exige so much. I just say my truck gets 13 mpg. Seems like an easy choice.
Yes, exactly! My car payment hurts me much less while I am saving so much gas compared to my previous clunky SUV

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I searched the forums, but didn't find an easy answer.

For those of you running a BOE REV300/400, what kind of MPG are you getting in street driving?

I was getting low 20's on my stock motor and a discussion with Phil about the size of the new injectors made me curious.

Thanks!
Seems like a question that needs the lithium.
(Needing 300 or more HP and then start to worry about economy)

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
It always cracks me up when people ask about fuel economy when discussing performance cars.
Or, you could be trying to figure out how well your car is running. If you are getting ridiculously low efficiency then something is wrong. Interest in efficiency is not the same as tree-hugging. I want the fuel burned to turn the wheels, not just dumped out the tail pipe. When you modify a car with less than factory levels of engineering backup you need every indicator you can get that things are working right.

For the record, my non-SC Elise won't arrive until next week, but I am planning...

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
I was averaging 20 mpg when it was NA. I believe I am still getting around the same.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Or, you could be trying to figure out how well your car is running. If you are getting ridiculously low efficiency then something is wrong. Interest in efficiency is not the same as tree-hugging. I want the fuel burned to turn the wheels, not just dumped out the tail pipe. When you modify a car with less than factory levels of engineering backup you need every indicator you can get that things are working right.

For the record, my non-SC Elise won't arrive until next week, but I am planning...
I gotta admit that's a pretty great point. So if you're looking at in those terms I think you are 100% right and it can be a good indication of ultimate performance.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Who cares about fuel economy in a Lotus? I don't get it.

I have no idea what I get with the Rev400 but it's not good. On a typical 50 second auto-x run, the car will use about 1/3 to 1/2 gallons. yep. I have to keep a gas can with me in grid to make sure I can meet minimum weight at impound.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
well jeez if your tracking it and living at 7k-8k rpm, all the time, figure 10 mpg .
Gotta go start my car now for the first time this year...it's finally melting here. :) Re-flash OBD tune, get inspected, reflash rev400 tune, call insurance company to get her out of "garage mode", and happy happy..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts