The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Reverie Daytona Induction System + Dyno Plot

Hi all,

I just completed the installation of the world's first available Reverie Daytona Induction System for the 111R/Federal Elise. I combined it with the optional carbon side air intake as well as the optional carbon side scoops, and the rear 3-element carbon diffuser.

A thorough gallery will follow soon.

As for first impressions, I can only say that my Elise just entered the F1 engine sound area:D.

Performance has definitely increased, the throttle response now seems like I'm driving a super bike, the engine noise is simply astonishing! Sometimes, my brain recalls the "low"engine noise level with the stock exhaust, but our new ring road's tunnels erase them instantly from my brain's RAM :D. If Stage 2/QS exhausts did make us enjoy our engine's music, now I'm living infront of the best available 111R concerto.

Later during the week, I will post a dyno run of my Elise, and will compare it with the other dyno runs that have already been posted on Elisetalk. If possible, I'll try to capture a video of the car, trying to share a bit of my excitement.

BR,

Theo

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Sounds awesome! I look forward to seeing your results!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Theob, don't forget to post what kind of dyno too. Look forward to see the results. Thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
For those who are a bit handy, it looks to be very easy to modify Celica GTS type tube intakes to the Elise. Available now and for 50-250+ bux. Dunno about the Reverie but the ITG setup may wind up at about 2-3 times this cost. Gains will be very comparable.

Stan

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Are their gains to be had here? That's what I was waiting to find out.<<<

Sure there are! Just do some searches on Celica GTS intake dynos...same engine. Our air filter box appears to be from the Toyota Matrix, BTW.

Here is an example gain from an AEM setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Stan said:
For those who are a bit handy, it looks to be very easy to modify Celica GTS type tube intakes to the Elise. Available now and for 50-250+ bux. Dunno about the Reverie but the ITG setup may wind up at about 2-3 times this cost. Gains will be very comparable.

Stan
Stan. So what the heck are you waiting for man? Get to work will ya :D That graph is showing a healthy...very healthy gain!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>So the Celica GT-S has the same stock intake as an Elise?<<

The Toyota Celica GTS and certain other Toyotas use the same basic engine that is in the US Elise. That car came out in 2000. You can get a sense of things that may help our car by seeing what those guys found to work. Our car does not use the Celica, airbox...I'm told that the Matrix air filter box seems to be what we have - it simply lays out better in the available space. Our MAF bolts into the exit of the air filter box. So an intake needs to have accomodation for it. It's just the generic Toyota sensor.

Stan

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Gang,

I'm not so mechanically inclined, so pardon if this sounds silly.

What is it about an induction system that impoves the sound of the motor?

Would love to get another 5-10hp easily/cheaply, and am equally interested in improving the sound of the car.

Chris

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
ChrisStarrUSA said:
Gang,

I'm not so mechanically inclined, so pardon if this sounds silly.

What is it about an induction system that impoves the sound of the motor?

Would love to get another 5-10hp easily/cheaply, and am equally interested in improving the sound of the car.

Chris
I'm no mechanic either; however, as far as I understand, the sound that you hear from a car is more than just the exhaust, you can hear the engine working, its gears, lifters, cams etc; you can hear the intake of the air being sucked into the engine and differences in pipes bends, resonance will alter its sound, you can hear the cars sound as it cuts through the air ( remember the old cars that whistled as they went fast down the highway?), yoy can hear the tires rolling and you can also hear the exhaust, all of these parts and many more make up the sound and it all has an effect on your aural experience.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
stan, does the ecu need to be reflashed or anything with this mod??
are there any drawbacks??

like with some cars when u change the intake, it screws up the maf and u have idle issues or dying out issues, etc....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If some one does this can you let us all know. This is better than a 50lb loss! and has got to be the best mod so far! Does the ECU or MAF thingie need to be changed. I can't say I know what the MAF device looks like :eek:

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Stan said:
>>So the Celica GT-S has the same stock intake as an Elise?<<

The Toyota Celica GTS and certain other Toyotas use the same basic engine that is in the US Elise. That car came out in 2000. You can get a sense of things that may help our car by seeing what those guys found to work. Our car does not use the Celica, airbox...I'm told that the Matrix air filter box seems to be what we have - it simply lays out better in the available space. Our MAF bolts into the exit of the air filter box. So an intake needs to have accomodation for it. It's just the generic Toyota sensor.

Stan
Yes, I knew that. I don't believe the AEM gives that much improvement for one thing. There's a TPS intake that Celica guys like better, from what I've read. It's similar to my design for the MR2 Spyder. I don't think the inside diameter is 2 9/16ths, though. It has vanes (they call them fins) before the MAF. For another thing, I'd look at what's out there for the Matrix and see if there's a dyno (not done by someone selling aftermarket intakes... I don't think you can believe them... one company cheats and they all have to) of something vs. stock Matrix/Lotus intake. You know about the flap that the ECU opens, right? An aftermarket one isn't going to have that. That's a good feature because it lets in more air at higher RPMs.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'm no mechanic either; however, as far as I understand, the sound that you hear from a car is more than just the exhaust, you can hear the engine working, its gears, lifters, cams etc; you can hear the intake of the air being sucked into the engine and differences in pipes bends, resonance will alter its sound, you can hear the cars sound as it cuts through the air ( remember the old cars that whistled as they went fast down the highway?), yoy can hear the tires rolling and you can also hear the exhaust, all of these parts and many more make up the sound and it all has an effect on your aural experience.
I guess that I tend to think of the exhaust and gear whine as the main sounds of the car, and think less about wind noise, tire thump/rolling. Even when driving turbos - I never heard what people describe as the turbo whoosh, which I guess is a little similar to an induction sound.

I read the original post and theob made it sound like changing the induction made the Elise a real screamer. It didn't make much sense to me, but I would love to have the car sound like an F1!

Chris

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The most dramtic part of a CAI is the way the air enters, obviously this is different on our car than the celica. Also these gains are made with the mapping of a celica's ecu not ours, may or may not be affected depending n the adaptation.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts