The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So in my quest for downforce I decided to go with the Reverie wing. The only wing with wind tunnel data that I could find. Not subtle in anyway, but functionnal.

I decided on the APR splitter and Reverie style spoiler for the front. I think it looks great and the splitter is as long as the one reverie makes for the Exige.

I bought the aludiffuser because design wise it is very close to the Reverie and cost half. Because it is made of alu and has rivets, if I ever bend it I can always repair it, not something you can do with the Reverie.

Here's what it looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nice race look. That is the look I like. I am searching for a front splitter cheaper option as well. What brand and where did you buy that one?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Splitter is from APR. I don't remember the exact cost, something like 600$. The Reverie look alike spoiler was bought from Eliseparts in UK for about 300$.

The diffuser is 600$.

The Reverie wing is 2100$ but I had the 10% groub buy discount. However the 200$ clear coat is not included. All in all 2100$ for the wing+clear.

By not going all Reverie, I saved a couple hundreds on the splitter. But in this case, cost wasn't the main factor. Effiency was. The little splitters on the Reverie are too short imho to create real downforce. Reverie told me they had no plans on building a better more efficient splitter for the Elise so I opted for the APR.

I saved about 600$ by not buying the Reverie diffuser. The aludiffuser is heavier, but otherwise, the vanes are long and deep, it looks very efficient. I highly doubt that the Reverie 5-element is more efficient. It is however lighter and probably looks better.

Now on the track the car has a bit of understeer with the rear wing set at 12deg. I opted for the high mounts and it shifts the downforce a bit more on the back of the car. In order to have better balance I could either lower the aoa on the wing or add canards. I am not too sure on the canards yet. If I do buy canards I'll go with APR. However having some understeer at high speed is not such a bad thing...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any pictures or can you lend any insight as to how your splitter is mounted?
I have a couple of pics of how it is mounted. Basically, we use the front fog light brackets to mount the support rods. We use the two most forward holes on the bottom of the crash box. The rest is fixed to the clam.

The splitter is just a flat piece of carbon fiber. If someone really wanted, they would design something that would replace the aluminium splah pan so all six holes on the crash box could be used. It would be much easier to fix to the car and would be even more solid.

I will try to post some picture of the install when I get to my "other" computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
awesome stuff. Here's another wing that has wind tunnel testing...it will only cost about half of a kidney though compared to others. In fact all of Cwest's products are designed in a wind tunnel.

C-West USA

CWEST Carbon GT Wing (used on JGTC cars for years)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your mods look great! Have you considered putting on a set of CF side skirts?
As a matter of fact, yes. But I need skirts that would allow me to use the side lifting point. If anyone know any, let me know.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I installed a set a couple of weeks ago. I use the same lifting point in the rear as the CF rests flat on the bottomside of the car. So far, no strange pops or cracks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I found two front splitters at eliseparts for the Elise S2 but they dont seems to be as long in the front. Do you have a part number or help?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found two front splitters at eliseparts for the Elise S2 but they dont seems to be as long in the front. Do you have a part number or help?
The long part is the APR splitter.

The spoiler is the short part just like ForcedFed used to sell.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Nice!

I just picked up my car with the APR splitter and APR wing...which is an adjustable GT wing to vary the angles...I'll post pics as well.

The splitter made by APR is made in 2 forms - one with honeycomb which is twice as light as the full CF one...

APR is coming out with CF side skirts as well.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some hard data from the track

It seems the wings are doing wonder even at low speed track!

On my local short track (45sec a lap) I am now 0,7sec faster, all else being equal. On a larger track like Mont-Tremblant where I go once in a while, where lap times are around 2min, I have absolutely no doubt that I would be about 2 sec a lap faster.

The wings greatly reduce the stopping distance and of course allow greater cornering speed. I see 1.6G on my datalogger in the only fast corner there is on this small track.

The top speed wasn't really affected on this small track, I hit the same 105mph as I did before the wings. Seems like at this speed the extra drag isn't really affecting the car. But even if I was to lose some mph at the end of the straight, I would gain it back under braking easily.

Wings work! :coolnana:

Reactions: hvymtlmcn

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Back from a week end at LCMT where a 2min lap is considered quick. Last year on A048R and no aero I did a best of 1,56.9 sec.

Friday, on Hoosier R6 and the full aero I did a best of 1,52.1 sec after only one session. A misfire kept me from doing more sessions and I was shortshifting at 7500rpm. But I'm sure 1,50.X is possible without changing anything when the misfire is corrected.

That's a whole 6 sec faster than without aero. Hoosier R6 are known to be about 2 sec faster than A048R on this track. In the faster turns, I carry from 10 to 30kmh more than before! The faster the turn, the more speed the aero allows me to carry. So in the fast parts, I am truly gaining a lot on the other cars. The car is SOOOO stable in the fast parts it is amazing.

I am truly impressed by the aero. Needless to say I easily passed the numerous GT3s, Vipers, 997 turbo and Ariel Atom that were on the track during my only session.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.