The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thumbing through a recently received Summit Racing tool catalog I see they are selling "reverse fluid injection" bleeder kits. I went on Youtube and also checked out a couple of videos. Anybody out there use on of these for an Esprit clutch bleed? I have a Motive Products power bleeder which seems to be the same concept, only the "reverse fluid" idea pushes the fluid through the bleeder up to the MC. They say it is equally effective for brakes and clutch MCs.

Anybody have any experience with this tool or bleeding by going through the system "backwards"?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I have a Phoenix bleeder kit I got from Snap-On. You can vacuum, reverse pressurize, forward pressurize, any way you want. I still find the best way is to use the bleeder with the check valve and catch bottle and pump the pedal. On some systems where the pipes go up and down and you can catch an air bubble or the slave is much lower than the master it can be easier to do it other ways. Doing it "backwards" you push all of the cr-p back into the master cylinder and reservoir. I much prefer to put the new fluid in the reservoir (after sucking out all of the old stuff) and then flushing the new stuff through the system and out. Look on Youtube, there are videos of this.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
395 Posts
<snip> Anybody have any experience with this tool or bleeding by going through the system "backwards"?

:confused:

I don't have experience with this particular tool, but I do have a lot of experience bleeding hydraulics.

I bleed all my hydraulics before every track day in order to draw fresh fluid into the brake calipers & slave cylinder (that's where things get cooked). I end up drawing at least a bottle worth of fluid for my brakes before I get nice fresh clear fluid being drawn. The fluid in the reservoir is generally in good shape (it's only a couple weeks old since the last round).

Pushing the other way seems a bit cumbersome as you'll have to keep evacuating fluid from the reservoir and you'll keep pushing the cooked fluid from the calipers upstream through the system. At what point is the fluid fresh throughout the system? After you have pushed the fluid upstream from one caliper and it's all running clear, then when you move to the next caliper won't the reservoir get fouled with cooked stuff again?

I prefer to draw fluid out of the calipers (and clutch slave) in order to have fresh fluid flow from the reservoir to the endpoint (it's at the endpoint where the fluid gets cooked).

Knut

·
Registered
860 Posts
never tried the reverse systems, but I have a motive power bleeder. It is best for flush the whole system, but I find it is still best to bleed the system the old fashioned way......pump the brakes (or clutch) and have a friend to open and close the bleeder valves, etc.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input. I will stick with the power bleeder or the Mity-Vac or sometimes a little of each! I don't quite get why you would want to pump towards the MC. As pointed out you are driving old fluid into the reservoir and maybe gunk in the lines that you would want to flush out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Reverse bleeding sounds like a great way to push crap back into the abs unit!

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts