The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was teaching my girlfriend to drive my car this Friday, and she tried selecting reverse without the clutch :huh: There was a loud grinding noise and the car didn't select reverse.

We switched seats and I and correctly put the car into gear; the engine slowed and the entire car shook from the force of reverse going in. I tried reverse about ten more times, and there was a mild to moderate grind every time I moved the lever. Once in reverse the gearbox operates as normal, and the forward gears are still smooth.

I replaced with fresh Redline MT-90 on Saturday and the reverse gear grind has subdued...it happens 15% of the time now versus 100% of the time on Friday.

Unfortunately, my knowlege of manual transmissions is limited. I'm hoping a minor cable adjustment or something along those lines. I would love to hear your thoughts or comments regarding this issue. My S240 has 5,000 gently driven miles.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was teaching my girlfriend to drive my car this Friday, and she tried selecting reverse without the clutch :huh: There was a loud grinding noise and the car didn't select reverse.

We switched seats and I and correctly put the car into gear; the engine slowed and the entire car shook from the force of reverse going in. I tried reverse about ten more times, and there was a mild to moderate grind every time I moved the lever. Once in reverse the gearbox operates as normal, and the forward gears are still smooth.

I replaced with fresh Redline MT-90 on Saturday and the reverse gear grind has subdued...it happens 15% of the time now versus 100% of the time on Friday.

Unfortunately, my knowlege of manual transmissions is limited. I'm hoping a minor cable adjustment or something along those lines. I would love to hear your thoughts or comments regarding this issue. My S240 has 5,000 gently driven miles.
Were there any metal bits in the OIL?
There is a large magnet inside the gearbox, which unforch can't be cleaned from the outside, and most particles end up on it.
If there were metal bits, well that kind of sums it all up.
If all the other gears select OK, then adjusting the linkeage won't make any difference.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Ditto on the metal bits in the oil... any?

Does the clutch pedal feel soft? If there is air in the clutch line, then reverse will have the most problems due to being non-synchronized. Try bleeding the clutch and see if that helps.

If there was metal in the gears then you really need to take the transmission out and completely clean it and replace the broken parts. Those metal pieces can destroy the rest of the gears, or the expensive ring and pinion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you mention it, the clutch pedal does feel a bit softer, and I can push down the brake pedal a bit further when I predict a reverse gear grind is going to occur. Also, I'm now hitting a "lock-out" from first to second gear from time to time. Perhaps a minor cable adjustment and bleeding of the hydraulic brake/clutch system is in order?

Thanks for the input, gentlemen :clap: The dino oil looked fine while it was draining. I'll have a look at the container today to see if anything has settled. Hopefully the fluid is not contaminated.

The car will be at Lotus of Orlando next Saturday...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts