The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can connect the reverse gear signal wire when upgrading the single din Alpine to a double din unit that needs one? i.e. for reverse camera, etc.

Hopefully there is a connection in front. Otherwise, I will need to run a wire from the reverse tail light to the radio.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just in the process of changing my head unit on a tech pack car. It has a single green wire that runs with the loom (with the power connector) and then into a separate plug for the alpine nav unit at the end. I presume if you have it then it will be the same colour.

Gav

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Garv,

Is it solid green? I don't have a solid green one but have a green with a thin purple line.

Do you have one for the parking brake as well?

Thanks in advance,

Abe

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A much better solution is to get a PAC TR7 trigger module. This provides a synthetic trigger input so you don't have to go mucking about with the vehicle wiring. It has the added benefit of enabling all the functionality all the time.

Amazon has 'em.
How would a TR7 know the car is in reverse? Does it have a sensor for reverse movement?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
The TR7 doesn't care if it is in reverse - it just tells the Apline unit that the car has the parking break on all the time.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The TR7 doesn't care if it is in reverse - it just tells the Apline unit that the car has the parking break on all the time.
So TR7 is just the bypass. I am looking for the wire in the lotus harness that will tell me the car is in reverse to turn on my rear camera.

·
Registered
412 Posts
How would a TR7 know the car is in reverse? Does it have a sensor for reverse movement?
Sorry, I was mistaken. That's what happens when you get old! :(

Indeed, you still need the reverse wire. I knew that, my wife has an Alpine in her daily driver with a TR7 and a rear facing camera. It only eliminates the parking brake wire. It is still a nice thing to have.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After checking unsuccessfully with a volt meter, I ended up running a positive feed from the reverse light to the head unit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Help. I need to revive this thread. Last night when trying to install an Alpine Power pack to my factory Alpine, I lost the ability to of the camera turning on when I go into reverse. I can turn the camera on manually by going into reverse and hitting camera on the screen. Looking into the dash I see the little green wire (mentioned above) disconnected but I don't know where it goes. It has a pin on it so I am assuming into a wire harness. Can anyone tell me?

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
It has a pin on it so I am assuming into a wire harness. Can anyone tell me?
I don't remember if the reverse wire was in the harness or not. But I tapped into the one listed in the wiring diagram below, so I know it's somewhere in the dash behind the headunit.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I recall correctly, it is the green wire with the brown stripe. I installed the Pioneer AVIC-7200NEX in mine a few years ago, and remember having this problem. This thread is what I remember finding, and it indicates that it is the green wire with the brown stripe, and it is not in the standard stereo wiring harness. I do remember that it was in a different harness that was just hanging out in there. My Evora is a MY 2011, so it may have changed, I dunno. Here is the original thread. The reverse gear wire is identified on the second page. I can say that the backup camera that I installed does automatically switch on when I put it in reverse, so it must have been the correct wire...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f417/single-din-non-tech-pack-double-din-aftermarket-tips-123003/

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks guys. I've found the green wire with the brown stripe. I was out all weekend but I took a quick look and it looks like that wire goes to a orange and white wire in a separate little harness like mentioned above. Hopefully I can slap it all back together and be done with it tonight.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Here are a couple pics from when I did mine. You can see the Lotus adapter harness's Green reverse wire on the small connector towards top of first picture. The Orange wire labeled reverse on the 2nd picture is coming from my previous unit's (Alpine) harness. I will say, make note and verify the wires and what pins they actually go to on the HU's harness (old vs new) and make sure everything matches up. In my experience Lotus tends to make up their own wiring color code for what ever reason or what ever tech is working on it that day :). I have changed many a radios and the adapter harness from the main loom didn't match standards. However for the reverse...this stood out due to the second small connector.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts